Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

Bike vs Car - Please SLOW DOWN

Just watched this Bike vs Car crash video.

WARNING - GRAPHIC: The video is from a helmet cam on the biker showing the impact and following events. The biker did not make it, he was killed on impact.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...ght-video.html

Please tell loved ones to slow down, and all parties driving need to be watchful and aware. The mother released the video in the hopes of sparing a family the trauma of this event.

Also:
    In April this year, Benjamin Austin, the driver of the Renault car that struck Mr Holmes, pleaded guilty to causing a death by careless driving.
    He was subsequently ordered to perform 130 hours of unpaid work. His driving licence was also suspended for 18 months.
    Full Article Here

Where does the fault lie in a situation like this? Do you think these accidents are reasonably avoidable?
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    The bicyclist. If you're expecting a degree of safety when you're basically unprotected and sharing the same thoroughfare as several-ton vehicles, you're an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Driver shouldn't have made the turn, biker shouldn't have been going 97 mph. Which is probably double the speed limit of the area. Both are to blame for being mongs.

Biker, hands down. Barrelling down a 2 lane road at 100mph is just fucking stupid.

When you're expecting cars to be doing 40-45mph on a single carriageway like that, some bike blasting down at 90-100mph is totally not something you should be expected to account for.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-09-08 at 05:55 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Buying a motorcycle is the first step on the path to becoming an organ donor.

Think of the children who need organs and use the accelerating handle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would imagine if the biker hadn't been speeding, the car could have made that turn and everything would have been fine. But the driver of the car should always be aware of idiots that speed and be extra cautious.

Well, assuming he was speeding duye to his speed vs other cars and his mother saying "he loved speed"

10+ Year Old Account
    He passed a sign saying speed was 40 mph as he set off, so 2.5 times above speed limit, had just overtaken a white car as he was heading up to the junction. If the driver looks and sees the white care and things, right, I can make that, then goes. If you've looked at assessed the situation, you don't expect a massively over the limit speeding bike to come flying round the car you've already seen and adjusted for. Should the driver have looked again, but having watched the video, I place more blame on the biker, easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I would imagine if the biker hadn't been speeding, the car could have made that turn and everything would have been fine. But the driver of the car should always be aware of idiots that speed and be extra cautious.

Well, assuming he was speeding duye to his speed vs other cars and his mother saying "he loved speed"
    Reports had him at 97 mph, the only sign I remember seeing said 40mph, so slightly fast, yeah. Don't know how far back that sign was and the area the road is in, though there is the giant word SLOW at the junction.

edit: ok so he passed the car a bit further back than i thought, so i reneg on that thought
    Last edited by Rixis; 2014-09-08 at 05:57 PM.

This shows the two things that are wrong with drivers. Cars that don't look before turning, or cars that do see someoen speeding but assume "nah i'm turning they better slow down" and bikes who think they can just fly as fast as they want.

Deleted
    Bikers/Cyclists tend to have the mentality basic road laws don't apply to them

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude was going too fast. There's a reason why the hell there is a "SLOW" sign printed across the fucking road. It's not to say that the other guy isn't in his own league of moronic either, but this is the sort of thing that happens when two people being stupid meet.

But really? I don't think anyone should be driving motorcyles. There are enough people with permits to operate cars and can't even do that properly.

10+ Year Old Account

The car starts turning there, were he not driving excessively fast, I'm no driver, but I think the car would have completed that turn easily. The car makes it halfway across the road in the time it takes him to cover half the distance to the car. Were he not going more than twice as fast, he'd not have hit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    He passed a sign saying speed was 40 mph as he set off, so 2.5 times above speed limit, had just overtaken a white car as he was heading up to the junction. If the driver looks and sees the white care and things, right, I can make that, then goes. If you've looked at assessed the situation, you don't expect a massively over the limit speeding bike to come flying round the car you've already seen and adjusted for. Should the driver have looked again, but having watched the video, I place more blame on the biker, easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Reports had him at 97 mph, the only sign I remember seeing said 40mph, so slightly fast, yeah. Don't know how far back that sign was and the area the road is in, though there is the giant word SLOW at the junction.

edit: ok so he passed the car a bit further back than i thought, so i reneg on that thought
    Heh, its why I wait until all lanes are completely clear before I turn, which gets me honks form those behind me but I dont give a damn. My safety > your impatience.

but going nearly 100 mph, I feel sorry for his mom and the car driver but not the victim himself too much.

As a motorcycle rider, I feel that I am always responsible for any accident I am in, meaning if I am in an accident, its ALWAYS going to be my fault. I need to make sure that I am always looking for people that will not see me. Scanning down the road for possible areas where others will not see me and could hit me. This has saved my life more than once. Its amazing at how often a person can look directly at you when you are on a motorcycle and STILL not see you. just my 2 cents.

I know a couple of people from work who also film them selves whilst on there bikes and most of them film it cause they want footage of themselves going really fast as they think it's great. Of course no guarantee that's what he was doing but experience say he probably was. Callous as it may sound biker going at 97 mph is the poster child for Darwinism, my sympathy to his family and the poor driver who ran him over but he brought this one on himself.

I stopped riding a motorcycle because motorists treated me like I was invisible. About the 3rd time they pulled into my lane right on top of me, I said forget it.

Then on my bicycle, I was going to the store and two cops stopped me and told me that I couldn't use the crosswalks to cross a dangerous intersection. I said, no, I'm going to cross this intersection in the safest way I know how.

That's just how I roll.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    I stopped riding a motorcycle because motorists treated me like I was invisible. About the 3rd time they pulled into my lane right on top of me, I said forget it.
    More than likely because you were riding in their blindspot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    100% bikers fault. Speeding kills, he took a risk and paid the price. It isn't the duty of other people on the road to make concessions for people who like to ignore the road rules, in this case, it's the driver of the bike's duty to follow the speed limit in trafficked areas. Sad accident, and it sucks, but there can be no doubt where the blame lies.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Bikers/Cyclists tend to have the mentality basic road laws don't apply to them
    I see the same thing - not from all of them, but from enough that I just assume any bike I see will run lights, ignore signs, blow through crosswalks, weave through traffic at speed, etc. I've avoided hitting two cyclists in the last year only because I assumed they were going to behave recklessly and ignore traffic regulations. (One blew through a stop sign late at night, the other ducked around a van in order to run a red light.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, I've had bicyclists actually run into me when I was stopped. To their credit, they apologized for it, but seriously, how do you run into a STOPPED CAR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I see the same thing - not from all of them, but from enough that I just assume any bike I see will run lights, ignore signs, blow through crosswalks, weave through traffic at speed, etc. I've avoided hitting two cyclists in the last year only because I assumed they were going to behave recklessly and ignore traffic regulations. (One blew through a stop sign late at night, the other ducked around a van in order to run a red light.)
    I agree not every biker/cyclist but a bloody lot