Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    From the new video:

She hit him first.
    He hit her back.
    She came at him again.
    He knocked her out.

Self-defense. This woman should be fired from her job for this.

At least they did something. They also enacted a rule that makes it to where his rather small 2 game sitting deal won't ever happen again. Boils down to half a season first offense and life time ban the second. Pretty solid. While the NFL was slow and likely did what it did because Ray Rice is somewhat of a big name at the end of the day the did end up doing the right thing. Even their first action of 2 game sitting was more than the law did, which in my opinion should be more in question than why the NFL only, at first, gave a small penalty. If that was me and I laid my wife out like that I promise you I would be in prison. Legal system failed even if it "meet the end means". If the legal system would have acted in equality to what it would have been for the average joe it would have been easy for the NFL to ban him likely for life or at the very least a season.

It should have been done sooner. But hey.. I doubt it will ever move like that again. Most rules in the world are written in blood and this one isn't any different. Plus I am not going to blame an whole brand, sport, or fan base on the actions of one major asshole (Ray Rice).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Wow. What do you say to that?

Knock out your GF, no prblem.

Smoke weed? BANNED4LIFELOOSER!
    Yeah that's one of the things I don't like about the NFL, their policies just don't make sense. Prior to this new video Ray Rice only gets 2 games for being seen dragging his unconscious wife out of an elevator, Josh Gordon smokes a little weed and is suspended for a year. It's BS, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    Yeah that's one of the things I don't like about the NFL, their policies just don't make sense. Prior to this new video Ray Rice only gets 2 games for being seen dragging his unconscious wife out of an elevator, Josh Gordon smokes a little weed and is suspended for a year. It's BS, IMO.

The NFL is a zero tolerance policy when it comes to drugs. Gordon for banned for the year because it wasnt his only offense. That dude needs to get his shit straight. They should have a zero tolerance policy period, but they care about money first. They let what they can slide because star players generate too much revenue to get rid of.
    Last edited by twelvethirty; 2014-09-08 at 08:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Considering NFL never done much about anything it is a good thing. I like Ravens, will like them even more now.
    Lets just wait untill NFL address the permanent brain damages without making their own warped studies and say everything is fine.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Let's teach young men to be brutal and heartless for a game, so they can beat the shit out of each other for our amusement... and then lets act surprised when they turn out to be wife beaters.
    Are you f**cking kidding me? I was team captain for football and wrestling and I didn't turn out to be a violent person. I've never been in a physical altercation in my life. This is completely unrelated to the sport.

She definitely hits him first, no excuse for her behaviour either, however the violence this moron used is way out of proportion. He got what he deserved in the end, he lost his job as well as his reputation. That's it no need to hang him now however, unless ofc he doesn't learn that such violence isn't acceptable and repeat offends, then I'd considering hanging him by the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Thank you Madden Gifferator.

http://i.imgur.com/WAwRJm3.gif
    I almost cried laughing. Rice is a prick and glad he is being held accountable. Hope it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by gamz247 View Post
    From the new video:

She hit him first.
    He hit her back.
    She came at him again.
    He knocked her out.

I do not remember Jay Z knocking out Solange Knowles when she put the beat down on him

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I do not remember Jay Z knocking out Solange Knowles when she put the beat down on him
    People react differently to similar situations.

Did anything actually happen to Solange? Did she lose her job and get banned indefinitely from where she worked? Any domestic abuse charges? Double standard if not.

People react differently to similar situations.

Did anything actually happen to Solange? Did she lose her job and get banned indefinitely from where she worked? Any domestic abuse charges? Double standard if not.
    There is responsibility in self defense laws. He was not in any danger. If a woman slaps me I don't have the right to deck her with a haymaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    She wanted the $$$.

If he's suspended indefinitely, we'll see how long this lasts.
    Possibly, but complacency regarding abuse isn't something that's exclusive to women who date rich men. I've known/seen quite a few who put up with it when an abundance of money was not a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    There is responsibility in self defense laws. He was not in any danger. If a woman slaps me I don't have the right to deck her with a haymaker.
    Got to say I agree with you, sure she was bang out of order and should be punished too, but to hit her with that amount of force, sorry that's just not on at all. I'm sure a gentle slap or restraining her a bit would have been tolerable not that sort of violence. Silly woman, silly man the two of them should take a good look at themselves and vanish out the limelight permanently.

From the new video:

She hit him first.
    He hit her back.
    She came at him again.
    He knocked her out.

More like:

He spat in her face as she walked past (about what, we don't know).
    She swatted at him with the back of her hand, more akin to a slap on the cheek.
    They get in the elevator, she hits the button.
    He gets close to her, really close. Says something. She elbows him. He punches her.
    He gets back, she rushes towards him, he punches her again. She hits her head on the handrail as she falls down.
    She is unconscious.

Self defense...lol. Obvious bait.
    Last edited by Celista; 2014-09-08 at 08:55 PM.

Deleted
    I'm unsure of your exact legal definition, but the basis of self-defense is the reasonable usage of force to prevent further harm to your person.

Just because she's not wielding a knife doesn't mean a slap isn't assault and therefor grounds not to defend oneself.

Naturally though, a court will take all elements into account; Is the usage of force utilized during the window of self-defense just, ergo is repeatedly punching a person when on the ground after they slapped you just.

Obviously not.

Tl;Dr if you hit someone, they have a right to defend themselves and hit you back within reason.

Also interesting to note is that the assaulted has no obligation to retreat to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    More like:

He gets close to her, really close. Says something. She elbows him. He punches her.
    He gets back, she rushes towards him, he punches her again. She hits her head on the handrail as she falls down.
    She is unconscious.

It's a possibility that he spits on her again right before she swatted him. Looked like to me when I first saw the video, but it's hard to tell.

If she has the right to hit you, why don't you have the right to hit her?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    More like:

She is unconscious.

Still notice that she was the first one to get physical here.

If she has the right to hit you, why don't you have the right to hit her?

Still notice that she was the first one to get physical here.
    Irrelevant to your claim of self defense. it has already been explained to you why that is the case.

Since there are a lot of wannabe lawyers in this thread, the video begins with an act of assault by Ray Rice, not his wife (spitting in someone's face is considered an act of assault), and one is only allowed to use the amount of force necessary to protect against threatened unlawful harm.

A. When Force Is Permitted

The use of force is permitted when it is necessary as a means of protection against the use of unlawful force by another. One may only use the amount of force necessary to protect against the threatened unlawful harm. See, MPC § 3.04.
    B. Exceptions

1. Resisting Arrest
    Force may not be used to resist an arrest, even if the arrest is unlawful.

2. Trespasser
    Force may not be used by a trespasser who is being forcibly evicted, unless the trespasser is threatened with death or serious harm.

3. Original Aggressor
    One may not use force if he or she wrongfully caused the confrontation.
    So we can stop with the "self defense" bit, no attorney in their right mind would use that as a defense in court in regards to this case.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Irrelevant to your claim of self defense. it has already been explained to you why that is the case.
    It's not self-defense for me to put down someone who's charging at me with what I assume is intent to harm me?

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I'm unsure of your exact legal definition, but the basis of self-defense is the reasonable usage of force to prevent further harm to your person.

Just because she's not wielding a knife doesn't mean a slap isn't assault and therefor grounds not to defend oneself.

Naturally though, a court will take all elements into account; Is the usage of force utilized during the window of self-defense just, ergo is repeatedly punching a person when on the ground after they slapped you just.

Obviously not.

Tl;Dr if you hit someone, they have a right to defend themselves and hit you back within reason.

Also interesting to note is that the assaulted has no obligation to retreat to my knowledge.
    Although it's up to the judge/jury to decide, self-defense has to be within a reasonable limit as you said. Was the woman going to slap him unconscious? Was there really any significant bodily harm that could have occurred to him if she did slap him? No. Defense would have been forcibly restraining her - not punching her so hard she goes unconscious.