Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoErVoL View Post
    You guys could do something much quicker to settle the whole debate. Drop your pants and see who is bigger and get on with it.
    Some people like hardcore and the alure of permadeath, others like softcore and the care free playstyle.
    One playstyle favors reducing the chance of death, the other favors maximizing clear times.
    Neither is "harder" if you know what you are doing, we are talking about an arpg not starcraft or something.
    Due to how d3 is build, there are extremely few things you can actively do to avoid damage and in high level grifts you do them anyway, whether you are playing in softcore or hardcore.
    Actually, HC is harder due to having the aspects of BOTH survival and clear times. Hence, the simple fact, the HC GRifts are extremely lower than SC in the Ladder. It's not even close. 37 is the max for HC and 41 is the max for SC, on the Crusader. 4 levels is a huge difference in power simply because of death.

It isn't even a debate. Because if the play styles were similar, and one was not harder than the other, they would be closer than 4 GRifts.

I'm going to end it with that. Devil in the Details, not even a debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Sorcerer View Post
    Yeaah... It's normal procedure on games. You play on a normal/average dificult level, then after finishing the story mode, you unlock a harder mode, who is harder than the normal/average mode by various degrees. And then generaly you unlock some sort of Very Hard Mode. The Very Hard of Diablo 3 is called

-!TORMENT VI!-

Torment VI is very hard.
    Not for me. My monk has 1.2 million damage and 11 million toughness. I walk by monsters and they die in T6.

diablo isnt hard at all its all about gear and what skills your using, thats it plain and simple you could be really lucky and find all the gear you want and faceroll T6 or be stuck at T3-4 due to bad luck or have to play a moveable build just to survive T6 because your unlucky with gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    It actually it does. Losing your character you have spent time developing, makes the game inherently more difficult. Your BS of a story to try and get a point across, is ridiculously laughable.

Simply because "Glass Cannon" builds are viable in SC ONLY. Directly slaps your point in the face. You do not play the same way in SC and HC, quit trying.
    No it does not, if a mob is doing 50k dps and have 2000k health in SC, the same mob will do 50k dps and have 2000k health in HC (yes numbers out my ass). Just because you have to play safe does not mean its harder, and where the fuck is the fun in playing safe?

Following your retarded example, SC is equally hard to HC if you play the same build(wat?). Stop beeing a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    diablo isnt hard at all its all about gear and what skills your using, thats it plain and simple you could be really lucky and find all the gear you want and faceroll T6 or be stuck at T3-4 due to bad luck or have to play a moveable build just to survive T6 because your unlucky with gear
    Pretty much, I went from t3 --> t6 directly after i got my shitty rolled RoRG. And now t6 is kind of faceroll, the challenge/danger now is in high rank Greater rifts.
    Last edited by Gaman; 2014-09-16 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    No it does not, if a mob is doing 50k dps and have 2000k health in SC, the same mob will do 50k dps and have 2000k health in HC (yes numbers out my ass). Just because you have to play safe does not mean its harder, and where the fuck is the fun in playing safe?

Following your retarded example, SC is equally hard to HC if you play the same build(wat?). Stop beeing a fool.
    If you want to draw the technicality of mobs do certain amount of damage, per difficulty, fine. You're right.

SC isn't on the board of the same difficulty, simply due to permanent death. PermaDeath IS a FACTOR in difficultly, like it or not. It's not a debate. It requires more skill and far more critical thinking. You cannot push a same build with the same gear, SC to HC, nearly as hard. The fact you can "balls first" in SC has a distinct and superior advantage in pushing the Ladder. You can die repeatedly in GRifts with no consequences. You cannot say the same for HC. Which means it's harder.

The Ladder is the truth in this regards, you cannot deny it. It's evidence points to me being right, and your obviously wrong opinion.
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to draw the technicality of mobs do certain amount of damage, per difficulty, fine. You're right.

SC isn't on the board of the same difficulty, simply due to permanent death. PermaDeath IS a FACTOR in difficultly, like it or not. It's not a debate. It requires more skill and far more critical thinking. You cannot push a same build with the same gear, SC to HC, nearly as hard. The fact you can "balls first" in SC has a distinct and superior advantage in pushing the Ladder. You can die repeatedly in GRifts with no consequences. You cannot say the same for HC. Which means it's harder.

The Ladder is the truth in this regards, you cannot deny it. It's evidence points to me being right, and your obviously wrong opinion.

I'm going to be like you. Your right it isn't a debate neither mode is harder than the other. Thats it. No if, ands, or buts.

HC is tedious and boring. Playing it safe and repetitively 100% of the time is not my idea of having fun with a video game.

Also, brilliant troll thread by the OP.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I'm going to be like you. Your right it isn't a debate neither mode is harder than the other. Thats it. No if, ands, or buts.
    To ignore permadeath as a factor in difficulty, is blatantly asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I have only one question for you: why don't you have this on a console? It'll make the game far more fun for both of you.
    He can't do it. The dexterity just isn't there yet. I'm getting him his own computer for christmas with a steam account. I just need to find some games that are similar to the simplicity of D3. I figure Torchlight 1/2 will be on there for sure. But I honestly can't think of many more simple point and click games. He didn't like D2, I think he's spoiled on the graphics of D3 already.

Maybe by next Summer he'll be more capable of using a controller. I'll definitely get some PS4 games then.

d3 is as hard as you want it to be. you have complete control. if you aren't feeling challenged then up the difficulty.

Deleted
    HC doesn't make the game more difficult, just makes you have to play really passive and safe - which is boring as shit.

D3 only gets more difficult when you start playing around with greater rifts imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    To ignore permadeath as a factor in difficulty, is blatantly asinine.

Because perma death doesn't make it harder to die. It only makes that death permanent. It is a factor in how you play. It is not a factor in how hard that content is.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Because perma death doesn't make it harder to die. It only makes that death permanent. It is a factor in how you play. It is not a factor in how hard that content is.
    What a complete nonsense. Ofcourse the fact you can die, revive and complete the rift anyway makes it a lot easier. Ofcourse the fact you can sacrifice toughness for damage (even if that means you die once in a while) makes farming content a lot faster, and makes greater rifts possible that were previously impossible because you lacked damage. Charging in a pack with 90% chance to survive and 10% chance to die is mostly a smart thing to do (and neccesary if you want to make the 15min mark) when running for high lvl greater rifts in softcore, if you die, too bad try again. In hardcore this is obviously not the smartest thing to do. The need to triple your toughness in hardcore compared to softcore comes at a cost.

Just have a look at the ranking boards for hardcore and non hardcore. They will tell you everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willemh View Post
    What a complete nonsense. Ofcourse the fact you can die, revive and complete the rift anyway makes it a lot easier. Ofcourse the fact you can sacrifice toughness for damage (even if that means you die once in a while) makes farming content a lot faster, and makes greater rifts possible that were previously impossible because you lacked damage. Charging in a pack with 90% chance to survive and 10% chance to die is mostly a smart thing to do (and neccesary if you want to make the 15min mark) when running for high lvl greater rifts in softcore, if you die, too bad try again. In hardcore this is obviously not the smartest thing to do. The need to triple your toughness in hardcore compared to softcore comes at a cost.

Just have a look at the ranking boards for hardcore and non hardcore. They will tell you everything.

Which has nothing to do with skill/how hard the game is. Only real difference between the 2 is in HC you make sure you over gear content before you do it. That doesn't make it harder.

Actually, HC is harder due to having the aspects of BOTH survival and clear times. Hence, the simple fact, the HC GRifts are extremely lower than SC in the Ladder. It's not even close. 37 is the max for HC and 41 is the max for SC, on the Crusader. 4 levels is a huge difference in power simply because of death.

It isn't even a debate. Because if the play styles were similar, and one was not harder than the other, they would be closer than 4 GRifts.

I'm going to end it with that. Devil in the Details, not even a debate.
    HC isn't harder, you just have to play super safe, which isn't enjoyable to everybody. I personally don't like playing hardcore, because I'm not interested in losing many hours worth of gear for a single mistake, that's not fun to me. The difficulty is the exact same, the difference is that HC players just stack so much toughness that nothing poses any threat of killing them anymore(see Kripparian's Belial HC Inferno kill, he had so much gear he just stood in everything. Killing that boss wasn't a case of "skill" or it being more difficult than softcore, it was a case of stacking so much gear that there was no risk left, which is what HC is all about)
    Playing super safe, stacking tons of defenses because you lose your character if you die doesn't make it HARDER than softcore. It's a different playstyle which attracts different people, but the difficulty is the exact same.
    Permadeath is NOT difficulty, it's just a different consequence for fucking up, and a consequence of permadeath being a thing on HC is that you wait until you overgear content so much that it poses no threat anymore. That's not difficulty either.

I'm bored so I'll make up a very silly story to illustrate the difference between casual and hardcore:
    You're walking across a tightrope. On softcore, there's soft stuff to catch your fall in case you fall down, so you can just try again if you lose your balance. On hardcore there's spikes at the bottom, but before crossing it you spend a few hours building guardrails at the sides so you're significantly less likely to fall down onto the spikes.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2014-09-17 at 03:42 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Perma death on HC is irrelevant anyway, anyone playing HC will have 1-2 backup chars that they got boosted up in no time and a backup set of gear already for them, yes the gear wont be great but you can still continue the game.

Diablo 3 is not difficult, its all about having the right skill setup and gear to do the content effectively.

Deleted
    Yeah you can always outgear any difficulty level, even T6. HC isn't harder, it's just "play extremely safe, don't risk anything".

If they want to play that way, they should. But most of them will simply overgear their content which makes the game even easier. The "difficulty" is to make no big mistake.

If anything, SC players have a chance to increase difficulty to get the real challenge. HC players can do the same, but they won't for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by hugsofdeath View Post
    I went to level 41 crusader (on my very first toon) on expert without ever dieing..

I only died then, being stupid and trying to Zerg urazel or however you spell him in act 5..

Please tell me that mathael isn't going to be Faceroll too?

The gameplay and graphics are superb but it really lacks in difficulty and that sucks because I should finish the game on expert tomorrow in under 10hrs as my first character ever..

I look forward to trying the torment levels once I have unlocked them.

Opinions?
    Wow, you play an easy difficulty and expect it to be hard? You're skipping Master, Torment 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 AND 6, oh and btw for every torment level you increase, it gets a LOT harder.

I mean you can't play WoW on a level 90 character and expect LFR is easy, thus making WoW easy. Go do the difficulty you think is challenging for you. The bosses are challenging in Diablo if you aren't out geared. I would love to see you down Urzael on Torment 2-3 let alone Torment 6.

Even at 70 with the right items, you might do T6 rather easy, that's why there are greater rifts, highest greater rift rank is 100, I'd love to see you get to 30, let alone 40+.

Once you know how to play a class, success is entirely gear based. So yes, it's basically this easy.