Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'm going to get the iPhone6, and Apple Watch when it comes that, that thing is pretty cool. Just for the health stuff alone.
    All the Iwatch is is an expensive heart monitor and pedometer. I was interested in the Iwatch but not after the keynote. Most of the rumored sensors aren't even in it.

Deleted
    From the looks of those phones, they will never fit in a pocket, Just Look at how much bigger they are than the demonstrator.

seriously though,
    Another phone, with features that virtually identical to the previous generation which is only 2 years old, this is nothing more than a blatant and gratuitous cash grab by Apple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    This is like saying "Right now the[re] is no true reason to buy an electric oven for your kitchen (or microwave oven), they don't have the killer features and only provide at best the same features as a hearth or an outdoor charcoal oven."

What they provide is convenience. Glancing at my wrist is much faster and less intrusive than pulling out my phone.
    The fuck buys an electric oven these days? Gas or go home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    I see people use that excuse, and this is first thing that pops into my mind:

I'm sorry, but how lazy are we becoming if we would rather shell out almost $400 just so we can save 2 seconds by not pulling our phone out of our pockets?
    How lazy are we becoming if we want to use an electric oven instead of building a fire? There's nothing wrong with appreciating convenience. Plus, glancing at your wrist is a lot less disruptive than pulling out your phone, particularly if you're in a conversation with someone.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Pretty sure you can. Plus, you can pass it over with Bump. I'm sure there are other apps as well.
    I haven't figured out how. Literally no option is presented that allows me to download it. Also can you "bump" from android to apple?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    Definitely going to buy a iPhone 6 Plus when it becomes available.
    The thing that put me off about iPhones always was the - compared to Samsung etc. - relatively small screen, but with a 5.5 inch display, it's fine now.

Don't really care about the watch, though. Probably will be too big (and thus look strange) on my wrists anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I haven't figured out how. Literally no option is presented that allows me to download it. Also can you "bump" from android to apple?
    I've never tried bumping from Android to Apple, but I imagine you can. You can do so from Windows to iOS or OSX to iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Who wears a watch if you have a smart phone? srsly, we're all looking at our phones 24/7, why would you attach something to your wrist.
    Well, certain professions still need the seconds hand on a watch; nurses/doctors, teachers, trainers, etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    OK, just to test, I used my iPhone's mail to open a PDF attachment. I hit the little upload button and used it to open in my Kindle App (you can also use iBooks), and now it's in the app until I delete it. I prefer Kindle. I imagine there are pdf editing apps you can get as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    How lazy are we becoming if we want to use an electric oven instead of building a fire? There's nothing wrong with appreciating convenience. Plus, glancing at your wrist is a lot less disruptive than pulling out your phone, particularly if you're in a conversation with someone.
    I really don't think you could have come up with a worse analogy, I really don't.

You're really going to sit there and compare going from pulling your phone out of your pocket and glancing at your wrist, to moving from a fire outside to an oven in a kitchen? Really?

And it's not a matter of being disruptive, it's about being rude. Pulling out your phone or glancing at your watch while someone is talking to you is flat-out rude.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think you could have come up with a worse analogy, I really don't.

You're really going to sit there and compare going from pulling your phone out of your pocket and glancing at your wrist, to moving from a fire outside to an oven in a kitchen? Really?
    Sure. Both situations are just increases in convenience. One more marginal in terms of time than the other, but most of human progress has been about making life more convenient. What's wrong with wanting your messenging and other communications to be more convenient too? It's like giving someone a hard time because they want to use a smart phone because it's more convenient than carrying around 20 devices. A smartwatch is just one step past that.

Deleted
    I'm a cash person so I'm not going to use the pay option. Not secure at all.

I like the idea of smart watches as the main thing I use my phone for are:
    - Receiving calls
    - Looking what time it is :P.

I'd leave my phone at home 90% of the time if I could receive calls with a smaller device that didn't crowd my pockets.
    (They are too expensive currently tho. I'll wait till some cheaper ones get on the market.)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    my thoughts 'meh another phone'
    Yep. I concur.
    Why? Because Viadd, Grand Arbiter of Correctness says so? - Masark

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. Both situations are just increases in convenience. One more marginal in terms of time than the other, but most of human progress has been about making life more convenient. What's wrong with wanting your messenging and other communications to be more convenient too? It's like giving someone a hard time because they want to use a smart phone because it's more convenient than carrying around 20 devices. A smartwatch is just one step past that.
    It's not inconceivable to say that smart watches will eventually replace phones as miniaturized technology becomes more commonplace.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Amazing timing to announce mobile payment system, right after the iCloud breach.
    Yeah, no kidding. Anyone vote for going back to a cash economy?
    Why? Because Viadd, Grand Arbiter of Correctness says so? - Masark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post

- Receiving calls

I'd leave my phone at home 90% of the time if I could receive calls with a smaller device that didn't crowd my pockets.
    (They are too expensive currently tho. I'll wait till some cheaper ones get on the market.)
    It's more secure than cash.

Quote Originally Posted by UnitDC View Post
    So, Apple has just announced their fall lineup of new products, including the two new iPhones (6 and 6 plus) as well as an iWatch, similar to Samsung's Gear Watch.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/09/app...iphone-6-plus/

What are your thoughts?

(I personally am interested in the mobile pay part - That is pretty convenient to just use my watch or phone to pay as opposed to a stupid full wallet.)

Use cards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post

- Receiving calls

I think the Apple Watch requires a phone connection. If you want a watch that doesn't, I think Samsung just came out with one last week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viadd View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. Anyone vote for going back to a cash economy?
    Absolutely not. Cash is running on obsolete nowdays.

Come to think of it I don't think I've handled cash in about a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't know what to say. Going from needing to be outdoors, have a firepit (for safety), ample supply of wood, with a limit of what you can cook...to go to a modern oven in the kitchen, is comparable to buying a $400 smartwatch so you don't have to take your phone of your pocket, saving you at most 3 seconds.

...wow.

Hey, it's your money. Do with it as you please.
    I already said it was too expensive for me right now. If I could get it cheaper, though, I'd be all over it.

Also, it's 3 seconds several times a day. Plus, I don't always feel my phone in my pocket buzz at me, but I always feel my watch telling me that I've got a meeting in 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-09-09 at 07:53 PM.