Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    http://notch.net/2014/06/literally-worse-than-ea/

I wouldn't want to be in the middle of this shit either.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of extremely large companies buying out smaller successful companies. It's just something that rubs me the wrong way. Whether it ends up good or bad remains to be seen though.

i wonder if it'll finally be allowed on steam now? i need to get my shit together and get it on pc already.

He was already a millionaire with more money than he knows what to do with ...

You know what what he did is called. Greed.
    Having millions and having billions is kind of a big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i wonder if it'll finally be allowed on steam now? i need to get my shit together and get it on pc already.
    I can't imagine playing it through any other means. Vanilla Minecraft is pretty horrible, but there are some pretty great mods out there.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Glad to hear that Notch is doing well post Mojang.
    "I kinda feel like I am (a sellout), but I still feel like I made the right choice. I guess some things always come at a cost."
    "The one trick pony thing was hard to deal with. Matching the insane success of Minecraft would be impossible. I'm ok with it now," he continued. "Once I remembered I make games because I find it's fun, I just got back to small prototypes I don't even show people. And the fun is back! Programming is annoying and frustrating, but SO MUCH FUN. And then when most prototypes are horribly unplayable, nobody judges me "

I'd imagine it's hard not to do well when money is no longer something you need to think about : P

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd imagine it's hard not to do well when money is no longer something you need to think about : P
    Well, I was more concerned about whether or not he had any second thoughts about the sale. I'd imagine walking away from what will be written down as his life's legacy - with one of the most amazing gaming communities built around it, an entire indie game boom because of it - is pretty hard to do. Whatever's best for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Didn't the guy buy a house in the 70 million range not long after? Can imagine he's content with the situation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Whatever's best for him.
    A billion dollars is best for him. A billion dollars is best for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Didn't the guy buy a house in the 70 million range not long after? Can imagine he's content with the situation
    The most expensive house in beverly hills IIRC. Actually pretty sharp looking, well deserved if I do say so myself

Really sad he has essentially bowed out of what most of us would recognise as the gaming industry. Do something with minecraft microsoft! Anyone actually heard anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't really payed attention to Mojang for a very long time.
    I don't even know what Microsoft can do with Mojang other than like... do minecrafty things and hopefully not fuck it up.

Merchandise is probably the one big thing they can expand on that Mojang themselves haven't done already.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can take everything mine craft had and make a super mmo with it....with better graphics and cash shop.

With that amount of money I would walk away from it all and just enjoy doing no work for the rest of my life. Would travel the world learn new things and make games for fun like he is doing. It was the right call for him to Make. Like George lucas everyones got a price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    The most expensive house in beverly hills IIRC. Actually pretty sharp looking, well deserved if I do say so myself

Really sad he has essentially bowed out of what most of us would recognise as the gaming industry. Do something with minecraft microsoft! Anyone actually heard anything?
    all i know is that microsoft kept all the people that was working on minecraft and the only difference atm is that microsoft owns mojang / minecraft and not notch
    so they will keep putting out small updates like usually

i think they will expand a ton on the merchandise area and digital minecraft stuff on the xbox

Deleted
    The thing about all of this is that while Minecraft was a huge success and an inspiration to people everywhere (it was even used in schools as a teaching platform), the more important thing as far as gaming goes, in my opinion, is not Minecraft itself, or how Microsoft can advance it (doubtful they even can), but the fact that it has spawned a huge amount of similar games, basically creating a genre of it's own. Not because Minecraft was the first necessarily, but because it was such a huge success.

What I'm looking forward to myself is games where worlds are huge, single player sandboxes a'la Elder Scrolls, or MMO games, that both utilize the idea that the world consists of blocks (or some kind of pieces, no need to be blocks necessarily) and basically everything can be taken apart and put together again in a different manner. 7 Days to Die is a great example of this, and while I don't necessarily hold hope that it'll become a huge success if it even ever gets live (it's in alpha or beta or something right now), it shows that you can create a realistic world that still utilizes the Minecraft idea of blocks.

So... If you ask me, Minecraft can fade away into history and Markus can live out his fantasy life as the one hit wonder that he is destined to be (not because he doesn't know what he's doing, but because nothing he does can ever reach the same level of success as Minecraft did.) The important thing is that we may yet get fully destroyable worlds in AAA games, in FPS games (in the vein of Red Faction), in single player sandboxes such as Skyrim, and even in MMO games like WoW or the like.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now that Notch has removed himself from the picture, Minecraft and Occulus Rift is something that really, really needs to happen. I would never leave my house again.

I bought my minecraft license back when it was in like, late alpha or something, but i would happily pay another $25 for a VR enabled version of the game. Though it would be nice if it released with better built in shaders as the default ones are absolute shit. The game looks fantastic with EnB installed though.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2015-02-19 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    Now that Notch has removed himself from the picture, Minecraft and Occulus Rift is something that really, really needs to happen. I would never leave my house again
    I am not sure I could handle the creepers in VR, there is something genuinely unnerving about them lol. I also only lasted one night on five nights at freddies, never again.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I am not sure I could handle the creepers in VR, there is something genuinely unnerving about them lol. I also only lasted one night on five nights at freddies, never again.
    (Player hears a sound) "PSSSSSSSSS..."
    [Player responds:] "What the?"
    (Player begins to turn around.)
    (Player catches a glimpse of what was behind them, screams at the top of their lungs, and attempts to leap behind cover an instant before the Creeper explodes.)
    (Player is disconnected from the game as they realize that they attempted to leap in real life, not just in game and that their PC is on the floor with various cables torn out.)