Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Goodbye letter from @Notch explaining why he left Mojang and why Minecraft is being sold to Microsoft:

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

10+ Year Old Account
    I like his letter, but I don't see how it's not about the money, unless he's not getting any money from the deal... you'd have to be insane to turn down your share of $2 billion.

And anyone acting like they wouldn't sell their game for $2 billion is fucking liar and shouldn't be allowed near an internet connection until they can be honest with themselves.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I like his letter, but I don't see how it's not about the money, unless he's not getting any money from the deal... you'd have to be insane to turn down your share of $2 billion.

And anyone acting like they wouldn't sell their game for $2 billion is fucking liar and shouldn't be allowed near an internet connection until they can be honest with themselves.
    I'd sell my game for $2B in a heartbeat.

The difference here is I would say outright: "I sold the game because....have you seen how many zeroes are on this check!?" *holds up Check from Microsoft*
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Oh well.

This should teach people to stop wasting money on consoles and supporting exclusivity, then.
    I heard Destiny's a great game. When's it coming out for the PC so I can play it?

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    I heard Destiny's a great game. When's it coming out for the PC so I can play it?
    I've heard it's kinda average.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I've heard it's kinda average.
    I've heard nothing but mixed reviews of the game ranging from those saying it is amazing, to those saying it is mediocre.

It's very inconsistent as far as reviews go.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Well I guess this is it then. RIP in pieces, Minecraft.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    First to go will be the support from the community on Youtube when Microsoft goes "Oh we are taking that ad revenue! om nom nom"
    Then the modders will go down when Microsoft comes in and says "Any ad money from mods for our game go to us! om nom nom nom"
    Then the server business will go down when Microsoft comes in and says "You need to pay us a commission to host our game! om nom nom nom"
    Then we will no longer see updates made to the game, and any improvements made will be sold as DLC.

IDK, I can just honestly see them doing it.

Are they taking ad revenue from things like Halo?

Too bad the majority of the Minecraft Dev team, and almost all of the Founders are leaving Mojang now that Micro$oft owns them...

Waiting for the $10/Month fee to "Unlock" the game to use Mods / Dedicated servers.
    Simmons: There's no "I" in "team".
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    "Gotta' trust some one to be betrayed. I never did." - Captain Price
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

The three founders are leaving, the developers aren't. Stop with the misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkuri View Post
    Too bad the majority of the Minecraft Dev team, and almost all of the Founders are leaving Mojang now that Micro$oft owns them...

Waiting for the $10/Month fee to "Unlock" the game to use Mods / Dedicated servers.

Only 3 people other than Notch are leaving

And guess who is not one of them? Jeb. That's who. He is the guy who has done most of the work on Minecraft for the last 3 years since Notch stepped down. So the main devs are still there, and still on the game. They also confirmed they will still be updating frequently and doing snapshots like they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I'd sell my game for $2B in a heartbeat.

The difference here is I would say outright: "I sold the game because....have you seen how many zeroes are on this check!?" *holds up Check from Microsoft*
    Hahah yep. And I dont think Microsoft will change anything significant anyway. Atleast I dont see them fucking up like they fucked up skype. -snort-

Friendly reminder to keep the thread on topic (it is so far, keep it up!)

15+ Year Old Account
    Microsoft is the best hope at getting a Minecraft 2.0. One that doesn't rely on Java and can resolve the persistent memory issues.

Minecraft was not developed with millions and millions of people playing it for this long. If it was re-written with a modern engine then I feel like both the primary developers and mod authors alike could go a lot further.

It would totally change what is currently happening with MC, perhaps the MC 1.x code would even become open-source at that point?!

lol. wishful thinking.. Still. I don't see this as a bad thing at all. MC has stagnated for quite some time. The last 3-4 updates have been lackluster at best.

Deleted
    minecraft best game ever

The optimist in me hopes they can whip some of the developers into shape. Somehow between the recent snapshots they managed to destroy the best part of 1.8: the fps boost. I get unplayable sub-10 fps. Guess I wait for optifine to release, for the sixth update in a row or more, I've lost count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Only 3 people other than Notch are leaving

And guess who is not one of them? Jeb. That's who. He is the guy who has done most of the work on Minecraft for the last 3 years since Notch stepped down. So the main devs are still there, and still on the game. They also confirmed they will still be updating frequently and doing snapshots like they have been.
    That's all that really matters. Notch was the start but Jeb's been the creative force since early to mid beta. Unfortunately, Minecraft fizzled and stopped really updating in any significant fashion around the time it "came out of beta." So hopefully if Microsoft gave Jeb a lead role and said "remake this game in a new code and here's moneycash and a supervisor" we might actually see some major innovations and I sure as hell would buy a new Minecraft.

It'd be nice to have that feeling like when the first halloween patch came out and the Nether was unlocked. Haven't had anything close to that much change in years.

EDIT: I'd like to note that last part I mean from the perspective of a vanilla survival mode player perspective.
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2014-10-31 at 05:54 PM.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well... What has Microsoft ever done, created or released that wasn't designed to rake in as much money as possible? It's 2014, three decades after Windows was released, and they're still hugely overpricing it, and still haven't realized they could release it for pittance and still make tons of money, especially if it utilized some sort of microtransaction system, or even a subscription.

Instead though, a huge portion of students and poor people simply warez it, because of the outrageous prices.

The company has an annual revenue of almost 80 billion, the same amount by the way, that the company helped make the net worth of it's founder, Gates, become. Instead of figuring out new ways of servicing their customers and how to make a bunch of new ones though, they're looking more ways of making more money.

I don't see how them buying Mojang and Minecraft will in any way or form help the game.

Well... If you like Minecraft, and if you like zombies, you might want to check out 7 Days to Die. It's starting to shape out to be pretty damn awesome.
    Totally agree )

Deleted
    do you believe that is possible?