Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Funny thing about these comments...

Sooo in a society where job space is finite and at a premium...People NOT taking jobs away from harder workers is a bad thing?

Just an observation..But technically by NOT working they are ensuring someone else can. Thus they ARE doing a service to the community by ensuring more active/potentially better suited people get the job.
    Maybe if you're factoring out that chances are if they're unemployed they're collecting some sort of money from the government, which tax money, so yeah.

Not gonna dive into that topic, but just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Yes, because when we legalize every drug, suddenly all these "hard" types of drugs disappear, or there won't be an increase in usage of any of them. Awesome inference.
    It's called harm reduction. Look up Portugal.
    -Increased uptake of treatment
    -Reduction in new HIV diagnoses amongst drug users by 17%
    -Reduction in drug related deaths
    -Drug use among adolescents (13-15 yrs) and "problematic" users declined
    -Drug-related criminal justice workloads decreased
    -Decreased street value of most illicit drugs, some significantly.

Still doesn't prove against my point that many people do not do drugs because they are criminalized and they can be jailed for using or possessing them.
    Drug users use drugs regardless of the laws… People like yourself don't do drugs because they don't...

Also, are you naive enough to think that those who would manufacture "American" cocaine or heroin would not try to make them addictive, even if they were legal? These businesses need people to be addicted to their product, or they won't come back for seconds, because of sin taxes.
    You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about… Heroin and cocaine are already inherently addictive, you don't need to add anything. What are you going to add, meth? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Maybe if you're factoring out that chances are if they're unemployed they're collecting some sort of money from the government, which tax money, so yeah.

Not gonna dive into that topic, but just saying.
    LOL I considered that and is actually part of my point.

But that is offtopic...Oversll I don't see the harm in it being legal and cannot help but feel we do MUCH worse things trying to "help" people.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    It's called harm reduction. Look up Portugal.
    -Increased uptake of treatment
    -Reduction in new HIV diagnoses amongst drug users by 17%
    -Reduction in drug related deaths
    -Drug use among adolescents (13-15 yrs) and "problematic" users declined
    -Drug-related criminal justice workloads decreased
    -Decreased street value of most illicit drugs, some significantly.

Drug users use drugs regardless of the laws… People like yourself don't do drugs because they don't...

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about… Heroin and cocaine are already inherently addictive, you don't need to add anything. What are you going to add, meth? lol
    We don't even have universal healthcare here. Our mental health clinics are pure bullshit. If we legalized these hardcore drugs, people will use them, feel shitty, go to the mental health clinic, get billed a shit-ton (or even be declined access, except in an emergency), and because no one encouraged them off their habits, will continue to use drugs. The percentage may drop off a little by 1 or 2%, but not more.
    Last edited by TZK203; 2014-09-11 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    My being kind of a dick has nothing to do with my political views.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in the US. My cucumbers come with labels that say, "Not for use by children under the age of 8. Do not feed the cucumber after midnight. Do not deep throat the cucumber. For external use only."

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    No. What they found was exactly what I said. Many dropouts smoke weed. This wasn't some medical journal with experiments , just a statistical analysis
    You'd have to have been living in a bubble to think there is no correlation. This didn't even require a study. Substance abuse of any kind among teenagers will yield them poor results in life. That's why in most countries there are age limits on the use of mind altering substances.

I would say what the hell was the point of this study, pointing out the obvious? But based on the responses in this thread, the obvious apparently wasn't so obvious.

That said, I think Sydänyö hit on the actual point of the study. It's just a small way to gradually try and demonize the drug for some business or political agenda. It's the same demonization that government did against drugs with psychedelic effects during the 70s and 80s in order to try and control the populace after the hippy movements of the 60s and 70s. They invented a bunch of bullshit negative effects while glossing over the massive positive effects. Look at Psilocybin mushrooms http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom
    There are massive positive psychological effects, especially for sufferers of clinical depression. Yet this is all suppressed so that drug companies can collect huge profits off of their shitty alternatives.
    Last edited by Beat5beat; 2014-09-12 at 03:24 AM.

So here is the problem.

Correlation can never be used to imply causation.

Either:
    a. It does cause depression
    b. Depression causes pot use
    c. some other third factor causes both of them

Basically, the study is pointless. They went in with preconceptions and came out with their desired answer.

I smoke pot. I used to smoke a lot more, but I have really decreased my consumption over the last decade and a half. I haven't smoked any at all in the past few years, and honestly don't miss it.

There is another problem here - the study relies on self-reporting. I know that if somebody asked me if I smoked pot when I was 20, I would have lied flat to their face.
    Call me Cassandra