[Music] Pop music = electronic?

I rarely listen to modern pop music, but I've been hearing it now and then, and I realized that a lot of the instrumentation in the background is a simple techno/electronic loop, with the typical buildup, drop, then return full blast. Pop music used to be something like the Beatles, then it was the Backstreet Boys, or Britney Spears (good god how old have I gotten??) but I just find this combination of electronic to be weird, considering it was very underground maybe 10 years ago. Maybe some other people have noticed this, maybe you've been around longer and know more about this progression. Share your thoughts! (unfortunately I don't know any of the song/artist names).

10+ Year Old Account
    Many pop songs now have some electronic elements or influences in them, yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been a long time coming, and I didn't expect it to take this long. The sound of the electric guitar has run it's course. Kids don't wanna hear that shit anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like any generation of pop they either set popular trends or utilise existing ones. In this case it's utilising the current juggernaut that is the wider electronic genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    It's been a long time coming, and I didn't expect it to take this long. The sound of the electric guitar has run it's course. Kids don't wanna hear that shit anymore.
    Generational echo borderline dictates a resurgence eventually, even if greatly diminished

Deleted
    I think pop music (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga & Lorde etc) are better than in a long time. Perry and Gaga has that electronic backsound, maybe that is why I like it

I've always liked various electronic music and I agree with OP. 9 out of 10 songs are some electronic loop. Catchy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I rarely listen to modern pop music, but I've been hearing it now and then, and I realized that a lot of the instrumentation in the background is a simple techno/electronic loop, with the typical buildup, drop, then return full blast. Pop music used to be something like the Beatles, then it was the Backstreet Boys, or Britney Spears (good god how old have I gotten??) but I just find this combination of electronic to be weird, considering it was very underground maybe 10 years ago. Maybe some other people have noticed this, maybe you've been around longer and know more about this progression. Share your thoughts! (unfortunately I don't know any of the song/artist names).
    You seemed to have lost about 30 years of pop music somewhere, I'm sure something happened between the 60s and the 90s. Disco, hair-metal, alt-rock, various forms of electronic dance musics etc.

Pop follows a cycle, usually 10-15 years behind whatever you want to call not-pop. In the mid-90s punks were wondering the same thing about what used to be their "underground" music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lady Gaga is kinda the only artist in pop that's making electronic music on par with where the more underground electronic music culture is at, and no one really takes notice. Specifically her song "Aura" that she did with Infected Mushroom, you don't hear any other pop figures delving into sub-genres like Complextro EDM like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magnapoet View Post
    Lady Gaga is kinda the only artist in pop that's making electronic music on par with where the more underground electronic music culture is at, and no one really takes notice. Specifically her song "Aura" that she did with Infected Mushroom, you don't hear any other pop figures delving into sub-genres like Complextro EDM like that.
    Zedd co-produced that with them. He's actually done a few other songs for her too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pop music has been heavily influenced by electronic music for a long time. As it stands i'd say a good 50% of songs on the radio these days could be classified as Progressive House/EDM.

I actually give Britney Spears props for stuff like this. She used dubstep influences waaay before dubstep became a short-lived thing and died off. Gagas latest album, a lot of Ellie Goulding's stuff and even Katy Perry use a lot of electronic influences.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Is that so? Well, maybe in the US. Here in Finland and the Nordic countries though, metal is in our blood, and it's not going anywhere.