Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Moving the goal post are we? You didn't say anything about a time frame before.

There are still slaves in this world. There are still some in America. Just because it is illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Was "a victim of slavery in the United States" not clear enough for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    You are talking about an attack on the USA that hasn't happened on its home soil since Pearl Harbor, and having to hold back and not steamroll the middle east, instead trying to help the people find their own freedom.

I also don't think you realize what being American feels like. In the USA we commemorate every single tragedy that has happened in this country. Just take a trip to DC and see for yourself how much remembering of our past we have. Even things such as the Sandy Hook Shooting or Hurricane Katrina.
    As shitty as I am about to sound, I don't think that a yearly repost of opinion and and arguments is a good way to remember tragedies. People died because some other people were assholes. What happened to America after in order to protect your freedom is gradually eroding it, isn't that what the terrorists want?

Don't glorify the event, remember the people.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    .. there's people that say things like "Slavery happened so long ago, who cares"?

Serious question/thought..
    because slavery in the US ended 150 years ago. (even though it continues to this day in Africa, with black slave masters no less... but i digress)

i can guarantee in 2151, not one person alive will give two shits about nime eleben.

after 13 years, i'm damn sick of hearing about it, i can barely stand to look at my twitter feed today. and this is coming from a guy that, at the time, was so patriotically infused that his first day of basic training in the USAF was 9/11/2002.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Was "a victim of slavery in the United States" not clear enough for you?
    No, not really. Because there are still slaves in the United States. Not legally, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

No, not really. Because there are still slaves in the United States. Not legally, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
    You knew what he meant. When slavery is talked in school it is NEVER about modern slavery in the US and this is true for just about everyone who went to public school in the US. Going by your logic, there is still an American Revolution going on.

9/11 is talked about still because not enough years have past. For the majority of the country it is still fresh in our minds. It won't be forgotten, but as each year passes it will slowly fade like the Pearl Harbor attack. We will be reminded on the day, but forget about it the next.

did we forget slavery already?

You can't legally own slaves in the US and that is what he is referring to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are two completely different things. Slavery was an institutionalized concept that had existed for thousands of years and only hundreds in the Americas. It was surprisingly new concept to abolish it and took a long time to do so.

This was a surprise attack by an organization of religious fanatics using civilian aircraft as weapons to target government and civilian locations.

Can't believe I had to spell this out.

I'm not too fond of the slogan as well. I don't hate it, but I think there are healthier ways to think about it. "Never forget" seems to have a subtle revenge side to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    This was a surprise attack by an organization of religious fanatics using civilian aircraft as weapons to target government and civilian locations.
    This can be debatable but we'll save that for another thread.

Seriously though, did we already forget slavery? I feel like we remember slavery as being a thing just like people 50 years from now will think of 9/11 as just being a thing as today's society doesn't really give two fucks about things that have already happened. I cringe each time I see someone post or say "Why do we have to study history? Those things already happened!"

Deleted
    I was talking about this the other day. At what point do we stop "remembering" events (as in hold a ceremony)? Is it when the last living person to be effected by the tragedy dies?

Like World War 1 was 100 years ago, yet we still had an event to mark it. Will we continue to do so in 50 years? 100 years?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Mossad totally didn't warn the U.S. about something big and impending heading their way a month prior but fuck w/e...

10+ Year Old Account
    We said the SAME THING about pearl harbor...Most people don't give a flying fuck anymore.

Simple answer? Propoganda better to stir up the hatred of the masses and get everyone riled up.

Also makes politicians sound bettef.

Plus in the moment people believe it.

Never forget is relevant to those personally effected. If your not, move on. I watched the smoke billowing for a long time across the river in NJ as well as getting some spillover of some patients in the hospital I worked at. I'll never forget the smell which lasted a long time. I probably will never forget that sight or smell. I'm still nervous when I fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baladash View Post
    This can be debatable but we'll save that for another thread.

Seriously though, did we already forget slavery? I feel like we remember slavery as being a thing just like people 50 years from now will think of 9/11 as just being a thing as today's society doesn't really give two fucks about things that have already happened. I cringe each time I see someone post or say "Why do we have to study history? Those things already happened!"
    It's actually not debatable between rational people. If you're gonna dump conspiracy nonsense, I don't consider you a rational person.

And nobody's forgotten slavery. Everyone learns about it. It gets talked about fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Mossad totally didn't warn the U.S. about something big and impending heading their way a month prior but fuck w/e...
    Saying "Hey guys, there's these people that don't like you that probably want to attack you somehow, someway, at an unknown time in the future. Thought I'd let you know" isn't exactly removing the surprise element of the attack and how it was carried out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    .. there's people that say things like "Slavery happened so long ago, who cares"?

Serious question/thought..
    The 9/11 slogan isn't never forget. Never forget is used for tragedies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_f...itical_phrase)

I think it's high time we moved on. (Referring to those who weren't immediately affected by the events)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    I think it's high time we moved on. (Referring to those who weren't immediately affected by the events)
    You can move on and still put aside time for remembrance.

John Stewart first day back to work after 9/11. The show is shot in NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXcmc2AZ6ZE

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    You know whats happened between 9/11 and now? More deaths of children in Islamic countries by american and British soldiers then the numbers of people killed when the towers collapsed.
    But lets not remember them, no no.
    #boycottchina