Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by dashflash890 View Post
    You kill 2-5 people you deserve it. I'm happy people like this don't run the system. Serial killers would be roaming the streets.
    Is that why most of Europe has a lower crime rate than the US?

Because our system is flawed?

My country's crime rate is 1.0, compared to your 4.7

and the attitudes in general in the US change to redemption oppose to "forever a criminal.
    A society that is driven by the need to have an m4a1 in the closet to feel safe at night will have a hard time learning the meaning of redemption.

You're most likely to shoot each other at the first crisis, to be honest.

Sometimes I like to imagine what would happen to the US if something like the Great Depression happens again. With so many guns, I imagine it would be movie worthy.
    Last edited by pateuvasiliu; 2014-09-12 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    For everything else except extremely violent crimes like murder, rape or threatening another person wih extreme violence to make them do something for you or keeping then captive, absolutely.

To me personally, once someone crosses the line I outlined previously, they lose the right to live, and should be terminated to protect others.
    You realise the US is built on the bones of the native americans that even 200 years after their race was near exterminated are treated like shit?

What about your invasions of countries you have no business in, where civilians die because of your crusade?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For property crimes, I believe in rehabilitation. Simply due to the fact, that these are planned crimes where you outweigh the pros and cons before committing them. If they learned that the cons outweigh the pros and given support to establish a normal income, they will stop being criminals.

For sexual crimes or attacks on other people, I think that the believe in rehabilitation is a criminal act in itself. The law system of my home country produces such a lot of victims, just because it is close to impossible to separate a violent person forever from the society, if he/she is not proven to be mentally sick or finally killed someone.

For minor offenses sometimes. In general no. Everyone is different, but people inclined to commit crimes will do as much as they are able to get away with. Some are constantly getting fined or jailtime and never learn any better. It's a huge waste of time and money. If people did not possess greed, malice or any hateful emotions then rules and policing wouldn't even be needed.

It's hit and miss, mostly miss really. People may pretend to change and some might even will. Given another good opportunity they will concede to their lawbreaking again. The one thing either side can't argue with is that it is not a sure science. Some people can be rehabilitated and some just cannot.
    Stay salty my friends.

Deleted
    entirely depends on the person.
    There are some that are not capable of being rehabilitated and these people, if they are a real danger to others should be confined for the rest of their natural lives, or executed depending on the crime that they are guilty of. (There are lots of other threads regarding the DP and what people believe in dont turn this into a DP / none DP thread.)

Then there are those that can be rehabilitated, and are genuinely remorseful regarding what they did and want to try to make amends, For these people I am willing to give a second chance to prove that they can act in a normal way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Yes. I do, but some people, like say, pedophiles, are not going to change (other then in behavior of not attacking children).
    being pedophile doesnt automatically mean you attack someone

Quote Originally Posted by Redpanda View Post
    I know its kind of a general question and there are many variables and not all situations are the same. But do you believe there is any redemption for wrong doings? Is rehabilitation a actual thing that can be believed in? I hope im not barking up the wrong tree with what Im asking. I like to try and be optimistic to some extent.
    Yes, and for those for whom it is not an option, we can lock them up until they die.

Yes, it's the most ethical option.

However, that's not the same as saying that everybody can be rehabilitated with our current knowledge. There's many gaps in rehabilitation, psychology is in many ways an unfinished science. Only when we can understand the human mind completely will we be able to rehabilitate literally everyone.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I think rehab is a good diea in most cases, btu I also have a bleeding heart of gold >.>

Although this one episode of lockup, there was this woman who talked about murdering this person and she was actually enjoying talking about it, and said she;d do it again, and was smiling creepily while talking how she dismembered her victim. People like her cant be helped...
    People like her shouldn't be in jail, but a mental facility. Our jails have become the largest source of mental patients, seriously put them somewhere else. Like the school shooter who loved killing and said that the hand that killed your son masturbates to the memory, why in the fuck is that psychopath in a prison?

Deleted
    Nope. No such thing. The cases of "I thought a lot about my life and decided to change" and "I discovered God" are slim to none and are usually lies. People who end up in jail and rehabilitate were never actually bad people to begin with and only ended up in jail because of the bad crowd they were hanging out with, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Once a criminal, a true criminal, always a criminal if given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi Kass View Post
    Nope. No such thing. The cases of "I thought a lot about my life and decided to change" and "I discovered God" are slim to none and are usually lies. People who end up in jail and rehabilitate were never actually bad people to begin with and only ended up in jail because of the bad crowd they were hanging out with, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Once a criminal, a true criminal, always a criminal if given the opportunity.
    Your statements are completely unfounded. I mean there was a 12 year old who killed boys and castrated one of them.

Deleted

"Redemption... was never really my thing."

on topic, yes, rehabilitation works, statistically. Are there some people who will not respond to it? Yes. Does that mean we should stop doing it? No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes, yes.

In cases like TJ Lane, no. Under no circumstances.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

People want to make this a blanket issue and it's just not. Yes, rehabilitation is possible for SOME people. The catch is that a person has to want to be rehabilitated. You can't make them go that route, there has to be an inner drive to better themselves and their situation. To rise above what they were and become a better person. A pivot point if you will. Without that, you're not going to get anywhere and a prison becomes a revolving door.

Some people can't be rehabilitated. They'll just continue a life of petty crime; or in some cases violent or sexual crimes, and keep right on hurting people with no hint of remorse; and that's where something has to be done. It's a fine line to walk and one of the reasons I have a limited list of crimes for which I apply capital punishment. It's not something I enjoy and it's not something to be celebrated; but you get help to the ones you can and the rest are dealt with as is necessary.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Yes. Rehabilitation is a real thing.

Deleted
    Only if they really want to change themselves but thats hard to tell from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Not even in the slightest. I support punishment over rehabilitation. People are rarely going to change unless they want to.
    Norway and other Scandinavian countries would like to have words with you. Their rehabilitation focused justice system near enough destroyed the re-offending rate in their countries to the point they are just a fraction of what you see in western countries that seem to think that locking people up and treating them like animals produces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well when it comes to addictions, once an addict always an addict. No matter how much the person believes he's done with drugs there's always a chance he could trigger that urge again and fall off track. I look at rehab like cutting grass almost. No matter how many times you cut the grass, it always grows back. So I guess you can say that I don't believe in it fully taking away addictions but it certainly helps...for a while at least.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2014-09-12 at 07:56 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Not even in the slightest. I support punishment over rehabilitation. People are rarely going to change unless they want to.
    Punishment doesn't actually teach people anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.