What HP Pavilion model is this?

Update: The computer came with a self-repair for W8 and didn't even scrap any personal files; only Windows stuff and seems to be working fine. After multiple scans and diagnoses, it appears to be working fine for the time being, so I guess it's okay for now. I plan to keep a close eye on it, but regardless, seems like the issue's been resolved. Thanks all for your help!

So I'm a tech newbie and I've thought of everything I could, but simply cannot figure out what model this is. (No, the sticker isn't there)

http://i.imgur.com/y8sy1CC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/3PA4lAI.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/DdwLg44.jpg Edit: Wow I'm a bad. I JUST realized this one was upside down >_> Not that there's anything too important on the bottom without the serial number/other stickers)
    (Links given instead of images because images are quite annoying on here when large )

Some additional information and for the record:
    - Don't blame me for not knowing as it's not mine; I'm trying to fix a friend's laptop
    - Was supposedly bought around December of last year (2013)
    - Bought at Best Buy for roughly $400 (please don't criticize the price/buying option as, again, this isn't mine so this gets us nowhere)
    - Windows 8
    - Literally no information anywhere on the laptop, they do not have the box, and all I could figure out was it's an HP Pavilion (obvious) that has "dts Sound+", whatever that is.

So yeah, would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me find the model of this so I can continue working on it. Thanks much!

Bonus points - Help me with the issue (super optional): The (primary) problem is that it black screens past sign in. I can still pull up a task manager, but nothing else, really, so I'm guessing it could be a display driver issue. On top of all this, I can't get to an advanced startup menu or anything on boot. As soon as it turns on, it just starts loading up Windows instantly and I don't quite understand why. Honestly, I'm a bit shocked it does that so quickly.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-12 at 07:04 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Did you check under the battery for details? It looks like a HP Pavilion 15, but can't tell the specific model.

What are you pressing for your "advanced menu" - F8 right?

It sounds like explorer.exe is fucked... from the task manger try hitting file and "Run New Task" and running explorer.exe

No, if you can see the task manager its probably not display driver related.
    Last edited by teddytous; 2014-09-11 at 09:43 PM.

Check under the battery.

In terms of the bonus issue, with task manager open kill the Windows Explorer process(if it exists) and then open a new process for explorer

And, if all else fails go to safe mode.

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Did you check under the battery for details? It looks like a HP Pavilion 15, but can't tell the specific model.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    Check under the battery.
    ... And this is why I'm still a newbie, haha... Didn't even THINK of that! Tons of information back here; no exact model, but I could easily pull up something with the data back here, thanks guys

What are you pressing for your "advanced menu" - F8 right?
    And, if all else fails go to safe mode.
    I've tried F8, F2, F11, F12, and Delete. Nothing works. I've even tried spamming all 5 simultaneously.
    Can't go to Safe Mode because ^

It sounds like explorer.exe is fucked... from the task manger try hitting "New Task" and running explorer.exe
    No, if you can see the task manager its probably not display driver related.
    In terms of the bonus issue, with task manager open kill the Windows Explorer process(if it exists) and then open a new process for explorer
    I'll try that then I guess.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I've tried F8, F2, F11, F12, and Delete. Nothing works. I've even tried spamming all 5 simultaneously.
    Can't go to Safe Mode because ^
    You can do a dirty shutdown then, just power it off by holding the power during Windows boot. That should cause a menu allowing you to get to startup repair and safemode.

Tried to run Explorer.exe in Task Manager (it's not open in it), and I get a "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)." error.

- - - Updated - - -

You can do a dirty shutdown then, just power it off by holding the power during Windows boot. That should cause a menu allowing you to get to startup repair and safemode.
    Did this and apparently it's starting up "automatic repair"...

... Apparently there IS no advanced startup options? .-. Oh well. Said friend was okay with a factory reset since they don't do much on it but check internet stuff, so I guess I'll continue with this for now. Thanks much!
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-11 at 09:55 PM.

Windows 8 has no way of forcing safemode by hitting F8 after post. You have to do some weird shit from inside windows then shut down and it'll boot into safemode. Windows 8 and 8.1 fucking suck.

OP start a 'new task' from task manager and type msconfig and select diagnostic startup, then reboot. Should just load basic services. Sounds like the computer has a virus of sorts on it

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

Quote Originally Posted by zolok2.0 View Post
    Windows 8 has no way of forcing safemode by hitting F8 after post. You have to do some weird shit from inside windows then shut down and it'll boot into safemode. Windows 8 and 8.1 fucking suck.
    "More accessible" Windows turns out to be the least accessible Windows in awhile. There's plenty of good reasons to loathe W8/8.1, and this is just another reason why I refuse to upgrade my gaming rig from W7 until at least W9.

Quote Originally Posted by zolok2.0 View Post
    OP start a 'new task' from task manager and type msconfig and select diagnostic startup, then reboot. Should just load basic services. Sounds like the computer has a virus of sorts on it
    It's currently going through a self-repair kind of thing, so I'm just gonna let it do its thing and if that doesn't do it, I'll try to startup this way.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far; not much I can do as this self-repair thing is taking its sweet time (and I have plans in an hour, so it'll probs have about 3-4 hours to itself for this)

A retail Windows 8 DVD should provide a working UI to enable advanced options and/or initiate startup repair.