Health Care Insurance Deductibles are a complete Joke

I thought Health care was going to be more affordable under the Obama rule.

But, the last few years our deductibles have tripled from $2,000 to $6,000.
    If only my wife worked we would not be able to afford health care at all.
    My wife is a school teacher making $55,000 before taxes.
    Now, think of having to pay $6,000 before we received any benefit from health care insurance.

Now, that is a complete joke.

It makes me sick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galluccio View Post

Now, think of having to pay $6,000 before we received any benefit from health care insurance.

It makes me sick.
    You can change your policy to have a lower deductible, your payments per month will simply increase.

And it's not "any" benefit, deductibles apply to specific benefits, and most (if not all) insurers cover some medical expenses outside of your standard deductible, e.g. emergency room, medical check etc.

Maybe try reading your policy before blaming a public health care scheme.

10+ Year Old Account
    The combination of a the more inefficient system introduced by law and people today going to get health care for any little thing when they don't really need it sadly necessitates such poor policy conditions. I wouldn't expect either the law or people's attitudes to get any better to alleviate the situation in the near future.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Work for a hospital finance department and yeah it does suck. Those high deduct plans are supposed to be "catastrophic" meant for 18-25 year olds. CHEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP employers buy into them. Look into the federal exchange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine have risen from £0 to £0. Screw you Obama. Screw you.

Deleted
    But yeah, what the hell is with your health care system in general.

We've public, and private for fast track. My deductible is €350 on my current policy, €300 on next years.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post

We've public, and private for fast track. My deductible is €350 on my current policy, €300 on next years.
    Go watch the Michael Moore "Sicko". It explains literally everything you would like to know about why US healthcare has been fucked for decades.

This is you wife's health insurance from the school district?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Go watch the Michael Moore "Sicko". It explains literally everything you would like to know about why US healthcare has been fucked for decades.
    Because Moore never, ever makes things up. Or takes things out of context. Or is biased.

I can guess, and have a general idea, of why it's so fucked. I'm just still amazed you guys don't riot. France will riot if they change the amount of flour in the bread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just still amazed you guys don't riot.
    Why would people who share this sentiment riot:

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    people today going to get health care for any little thing when they don't really need it
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Cold start problem. In short, that's the result of forcing a health care system from 0 to 100% in one of the world's largest countries, versus the benefits of small countries that had such systems in place and working for decades.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    Cold start problem. In short, that's the result of forcing a health care system from 0 to 100% in one of the world's largest countries, versus the benefits of small countries that had such systems in place and working for decades.
    Germany, the UK, and France are small countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Work for a hospital finance department and yeah it does suck. Those high deduct plans are supposed to be "catastrophic" meant for 18-25 year olds. CHEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP employers buy into them. Look into the federal exchange.
    My HDHP is awesome. It's not "cheap" at all, it just requires you to save more for your out of pocket expenses. Our OOP for in-network service is $4000, and it's $90 a month. Assuming we stay in-network (which isn't really hard), my maximum yearly outlay is $5080 (It's actually $4080 for me since the company contributes to my HSA as added compensation). A similar traditional plan was ~4800/year, with the added downside that it's always a sunk cost. If we don't go to the doctor much with the HDHP, it doubles as an investment account, and the only part lost is the ~$1000 premium. I would never want to switch, honestly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Germany, the UK, and France are small countries?
    In before someone makes the irrelevant excuse that America is defending everyone everywhere.

Deleted
    US healthcare in general is a joke. ACA was supposed to make it a bit less laughable, but in the end, it was dm² sized patch on a m² sized hole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galluccio View Post

It makes me sick.
    I don't know your specific situation, but you can change your plan to lower your deductible.

Plus, most providers make you pay for a percentage of big ticket treatments up to the deductible. It's not "Pay $6,000 before we cover your treatments." It's "Pay 10% of the cost of your treatments up to a maximum of $6,000 over the year, after which we cover everything."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I don't know your specific situation, but you can change your plan to lower your deductible.

Plus, most providers make you pay for a percentage of big ticket treatments up to the deductible. It's not "Pay $6,000 before we cover your treatments." It's "Pay 10% of the cost of your treatments up to a maximum of $6,000 over the year, after which we cover everything."
    Depends on the type of plan. Mine is exactly "Pay $4000 before we cover anything".