Deleted

Windows 8.1 low on memory alert too early?

Ever since I upgraded from 7 to 8.1 I've been getting this thing on a daily basis. I have 10GBs of ram installed on my pc and I'm usually using 5 at most except for when playing video games. Yet Windows keeps throwing this crap in my face and eventually closes my game down to "prevent memory loss". Is this some Windows 8.1 related issue? Aren't 10GBs enough nowadays?

My virtual memory is set to 1GB, just in case.

10+ Year Old Account
    It happens with 7 too. It's an idiotic Microsoft design. It whines when you're running above 75% RAM usage, regardless of how much RAM you have.

Do you have the regular windows 8 or windows 8 pro?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It happens with 7 too. It's an idiotic Microsoft design. It whines when you're running above 75% RAM usage, regardless of how much RAM you have.

Do you have the regular windows 8 or windows 8 pro?
    Not sure if it would make an actual difference, but it's Windows 8.1 Pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    Not sure if it would make an actual difference, but it's Windows 8.1 Pro.
    The difference is that windows 8 pro allows you to use the group policy editor rather than having to play around in the registry.

Ok, run gpedit.msc

Then go into Computer Configuration, then Administrative Templates, then System, then Troubleshooting and Diagnostics, then hit Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution.

Then right-click Configure Scenario Execution Level and hit properties. Go into the settings tab and set it to disabled, then hit ok, and close out.

Now reboot.

And now that "WARNING! YOU ONLY HAVE 2.5GB OF MEMORY LEFT! DOOOOOM!" should never bother you again.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    The difference is that windows 8 pro allows you to use the group policy editor rather than having to play around in the registry.

Ok, run gpedit.msc

Then go into Computer Configuration, then Administrative Templates, then System, then Troubleshooting and Diagnostics, then hit Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution.

Then right-click Configure Scenario Execution Level and hit properties. Go into the settings tab and set it to disabled, then hit ok, and close out.

Now reboot.

And now that "WARNING! YOU ONLY HAVE 2.5GB OF MEMORY LEFT! DOOOOOM!" should never bother you again.
    Just disabled it. Thank you very much.