Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Playing the Auction House

So I will be honest.

I have played Warcraft for nearly nine years now and I STILL don't know how folk make hordes of gold. I have been told a few times to 'Play the Auction house' and that's almost as baffling.

My only need for money is that folks are running challenge mode golds for 90k on my server and I want a set of armor/mount!

Quote Originally Posted by Archillus View Post
    So I will be honest.

I have played Warcraft for nearly nine years now and I STILL don't know how folk make hordes of gold. I have been told a few times to 'Play the Auction house' and that's almost as baffling.

My only need for money is that folks are running challenge mode golds for 90k on my server and I want a set of armor/mount!
    The problem is, the people that know, won't tell you.. or else everyone knows.

People make a lot of gold by doing what you stated, carrying people through CM'S or selling Heroic mounts / Achieves..

Every server has a diff Auction house economy, maybe take a while and study certain needed but easy to obtain items (ex: maybe profession items?)

In the past, I just ran raids and sold the BOE Epics.. but I mostly did what others did, just carried people through mount achievements..

10+ Year Old Account
    Farm Ancient Guo-Lai Cache Keys in the vale, most of the wow streamers who are gold capping seem to be farming these on mass and then opening the chests, so im guessing a character with high damage aoe would do the trick, if you going to do the AH u need the addon TSM tradeskillmaster.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey man playing the AH is really just using basic economics and business knowledge. So understanding Supply+demand=profit.

there are so many sub markets in WoWs auctionhouse i could spend hours naming everything I know. Head over to the professions sub section on mmo champ here and find some profession guides..they are buried in there somewhere. Until then

how much do you want to make
    what is your liquid (the gold you have in your bags at this very moment)
    quick gold or can you wait a bit to make a bigger profit in a slower market?
    Server
    faction
    pop of server
    professions

if you can answer all of those i would love to help you
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    We'll on the gold front I'm a bit scarce

Running at around 5k at the moment.
    I'd sooner make some faster gold due to Challenge Modes disappearing soon!
    My server is Twilights Hammer EU
    I'm an Orc so Horde
    And the pop of my server is low.

My Proffessions are mining and Blacksmith but I'm happy to swap out both!

I've never done it personally, but I know people in game (that currently have over 800k) that made a crap ton just buying stuff from the blizzard shop and selling them on the AH for gold...yes effectively BUY gold....the people I'm thinking of , to my knowledge, haven't done this a while...so I don't know if that 'loop hole to buying gold' is still possible....one person said that its NOT against Blizzards Terms of Service...which shocks me.....the person's reasoning is...'then why do they make the item BOE so you can sell it or give to other players".

There was a guy in my guild with over 3kk gold.

From what I understood, after he already had a huge amount of gold (like 500k). He made the rest by buying the most expensive items on AH ( like Reins of Poseidus itp. ) when he saw them being underpriced. But until you reach that amoutn of gold, I would suggest farming rather than playing AH.

My latest alt just rounded 25k. 8 days /played. And that is the net result after a bunch of transmog, gems, and reforging. He is tailor/enchanter, but I don't recall selling much on AH, so I don't think the money came from AH. He also has the fastest flying speed, so some 8k got dumped there.
    I believe the money is from dailies, raids and random killings. And with 4 days /played at 90, it cannot be a massive amount of it.

I also believe that a lot of the streamers are doing vale for a number of other reasons. To name a few:
    * They could be farming skyshards
    * If you can get the place for yourself it is a lot of easy mobs to potion of luck farm - with nice bonus drops
    * Once you play a certain amount the game gets grindy - and believe it or not, there are not a lot of good grind spots in WoW
    * And the one related to AH: If you stream your AH flipping tricks... they don't work anymore.

I also play on a low-pop server, and it seems that a handful of players are sitting on the AH. At least in terms of the fast-flowing markets. So unless you got tons of time to sit and micromanage your auctions, you have to find some niche areas. Not counting some wild gambles or lucky drops, it will be hard to get 90k "fast".

Truth is, 9/10 people who tell you that they can play the ah and that they have "multiple g caps" are just talking bs. Yes, theres a few people who with luck and skill gotten insane amounts of gold, but thats 1-2 on each server at most.

Deleted
    I've made several million gold without any AH playing. All you need is professions and know how to use them. Having many high level characters with different professions help enormously. Find items that you can craft that are in demand and can be sold for profit, make them.

Gems, enchants and glyphs are no brainers and usually make most profit. Then there are niche items like crafted cloth/leader/etc and trasmog gear. Then there are craftable mounts. Some people make gold crafting items needed for raiders, like flasks, potions, buff food.

Use your imagination. Any profession can make gold if you take time figuring out what people will buy, the only difference is mount of gold you can make with it. It could be hard to do this late into expansion, but there are always things people want. You only need to figure out what those things are.

You will also need add-ons. Without them it will be very hard and time consuming to sell stuff. I recommend Auctionator and Postal.
    Last edited by mmocbeba583bd0; 2014-09-13 at 03:05 PM.

I was about to compare it to Monopoly money but that actually has value within that game. Gold is meaningless unless you want to use it to compensate for your lack of commitment(heroic carries, rare mounts and pets that you can't be bothered to hunt down yourself). At that point the question becomes: why bother?

If your idea of a great game is one where you play an import-export merchant so that you can make a lot of money and then pay a band of adventurers an obscene amount to let you tag along while they kill a dragon, then good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a certain niche for a very long time on the AH, I went away for a month during June and since coming back, the prices of the certain items I crafted have plummeted and people fail to understand that they sell for a lot more, people just rush to sell things, ignore profits and ruin it for everyone.

Alas, unless y ou have a wide variety of things to make and sell, you could experience what I did, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. With what I was making, I made at least 13-14g profit per unit, over about 3 months with mass purchasing of cheap crafting items and then selling my end product for a profit, I made a very tidy sum :3
    It looks like I will have to find something else to focus on now, or perhaps wait for WoD and see how AH prices are then

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Check the AH and see which items you can craft with your professions that are selling well.
    2. Check AH again for the mats to craft those items. Note which items sells for more than the sum of the mats' prices. (this means, that can be crafted and sold with profit)
    3. Buy mats, craft items, put them on AH.
    4. Profit.
    5. Repeat.

More tips on the above:
    - Profitable items tend to change. Keep checking and don't just craft the same items you have crafted, maybe they aren't profitable anymore.
    - Some stuff tend to sell better in the first weeks of a patch/expansion.
    - There are addons to automatize part of this proccess.
    Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 2014-09-15 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.