Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Also kilograms aren't a unit of weight, they are a unit of mass, and pounds are a unit of weight and not a unit of mass, so technically you should be weighing things in Newtons if you were fully applying the metric system :P A lot of people who believe they are all metric actually use a bastardized system. And I really see nothing wrong with that.

"Whatever works best."
    Blame the french for that.
    I use KN in my day to day work. And kilopond is not unheard of in common parlance (I don't think it's SI standard, though). I would not expect many people to even care about the subtlety, though. It's not like the units are fully coherent (Kg being a basic unit instead of the gram, and we use calories instead of Joules), but the system is.
    Mass is a largely useless measure anyway, but I'll grant you it makes for some pedantic conversations .
    Last edited by nextormento; 2014-09-13 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Blame the french for that.
    I use KN in my day to day work. And kilopond is not unheard of in common parlance (I don't think it's SI standard, though).
    Mass is a largely useless measure anyway, but I'll grant you it makes for some pedantic conversations .
    I'd say weight is the more useless measure. Because let's say you are making meatloaf. The meat weighs less at the equator than at the poles. But your apetite is the same. so your meatloaf uses less meat when you make it at Vostok.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I'd say weight is the more useless measure. Because let's say you are making meatloaf. The meat weighs less at the equator than at the poles. But your apetite is the same. so your meatloaf uses less meat when you make it at Vostok.
    But the weighing scale changes its output with the location too, so we're good. I measure my stake intake amounts in moles anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
    What is good music?

The answer to this is subjective, of course.
    You're right. It's a matter of taste.

The music industry knows well that if we hear a piece of music repeatedly, we will grow accustom to it and it will enter our musical lexicon of what we deem acceptable if not, "good".
    Absolutely wrong. People won't start liking stuff they don't already inherently like just because it's repeated to them. In fact, quite the opposite; people will start to detest that shit even more.

This is also readily apparent with the comparison of the Western twelve tone music system and the micro-tonal music systems of the far East.
    I love the music of the Middle East and far East Asia. I'm Finnish, and I also love Nordic metal. I know that's anecdotal, but what you're saying is completely false, so who cares.

The rest of your post doesn't really warrant a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The rest of your post doesn't really warrant a reply.
    One might even say... You're Finnished with this discussion?

Well math isn't the physical world. You're looking past the fact that in math anything is possible and that we create its reality because it has no factual, empirical content.

Certainly we can use our tools, math, physics, science in general, and the human brain to interpolate reality. But our brains cannot feel pain. Instead, they react to what our nerves and receptors felt and perceived nanoseconds ago. We literally exist in the past, never able to experience time as a dimension. We can only corroborate with each other what happened in the past with those that saw our future as we sleep through the millennia, devoid of free will as we trust time as implicitly as we trust gravity.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the part where I pretend that I knew this all along:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140912120634.htm