Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

is this really what its come to?

so since blizzard knew people would probably say nasty and unpleasant things via a typing chat system they implemented a emote system. however players will often just squelch and not emote to each other at all. i find this lack of communication odd. has it really come to this that people as a whole have to resort to having completely silent games with no one talking because of fear of a bad experience? when will we stop being so afraid of what could happen that we try and institute more and more controlled enviroments so they cant happen until finally we end up with a completely boring sterile gaming experience?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I think it was a good move, I really don't want to talk to the other person in a game like this.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

You don't need to communicate with your opponent. You're not on a team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    You don't need to communicate with your opponent. You're not on a team.
    that doesn't mean communication doesn't need to happen.
    squelching emotes removes all and any interaction with the other opponent there is. at that point you might as well be playing differently named ai bots with very complex scripts.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    squelching emotes removes all and any interaction with the other opponent there is. at that point you might as well be playing differently named ai bots with very complex scripts.
    Which is fine with me, since I know a lot of people out there would just bad mouth, and I don't feel like listening to that. It's bad enough when your opponent uses up the turn timer spamming emotes. Glad there's a squelch function.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, just so some idiot who I'm beating can spam me with 'ur a fag' 'u cheat' 'fuk u' etc, or some other childish bullshit.... pass. The game works fine the way it is. If you can't stand that, there are plenty of other games where you can go subject yourself to interactions with their darling communities.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

so since blizzard knew people would probably say nasty and unpleasant things via a typing chat system they implemented a emote system. however players will often just squelch and not emote to each other at all. i find this lack of communication odd. has it really come to this that people as a whole have to resort to having completely silent games with no one talking because of fear of a bad experience? when will we stop being so afraid of what could happen that we try and institute more and more controlled enviroments so they cant happen until finally we end up with a completely boring sterile gaming experience?
    Ironically weren't you the faggot crying about how someone had the name "jewkiller" and it made you forfeit matches and now you are crying about not having freedom to talk more?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally would love to chat. The squelch option is mandatory as many would abuse said chat, but for the few that don't I believe it would give the game depth. I talk to people when I play card games in real life

There should really only be good sportsmanship and neutral emotes. I find half of them come off as snarky no matter what. There should also be a universal auto-silence option and where both players know the game is auto-silenced.

I had one game where the person was spamming 'sorry' and one other taunting emote every time the limit allowed it. So I started spamming 'well played' because he was doing good and ahead for most of the game. I got a good combo at the end and narrowly won. Felt good.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-09-15 at 04:17 AM.

This shocks you why? This is blizzard, they actually went and made it so that you can't talk to the opposing team in an arena match in wow even if you are the same faction.

I talk to my opponent when I play Magic 2014/15. Made a few friends that way. Not sure why it's a problem in Hearthstone.

I don't think it's "what it's come to". I just think it's a decision suited to the kind of game they're trying to make - especially since you're also playing with people on iPads and such. I'd still expect other games of the less laid-back variety to have chat that works more or less the way we've come to expect.

I do occasionally wish I could chat with my opponent post-game, but I'll just send them a friend request if so and they usually respond.
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

I've played enough League of Legends to know that I don't wish to speak to my opponent(s) in Hearthstone.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

has it really come to this that people as a whole have to resort to having completely silent games with no one talking because of fear of a bad experience?
    Yes.

So many people are quick to exercise their freedom to verbally abuse others, including their opponents, that yeah Blizzard has to exercise ITS freedom to disallow it via Hearthstone channels. They made the correct decision.

On a practical note, if it were "just one bad experience" then you would have a point. But it's not, and Blizzard has to do what it takes to keep these people from ruining their game.

I'm a little confused bread. First you want a option to report peoples name which I agree with. Now you want to communicate with people who will be calling you offensive and downright dirty things? You really don't think things through do you? I really have to ask. Are you new to online gaming?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faint^ View Post
    Now you want to communicate with people who will be calling you offensive and downright dirty things?
    Hur hur hur.

But anyhoo, I rather prefer not having to deal with the other players. I'm also glad squelching exists, there are people who as part of their strategy will spam the same emote over and over again to unnerve the other player. Yes it's immature and stupid, but people still do it and it's annoying as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have a quiet game where I can think, than a game with someone spamming me with random things because they could.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I'd rather have a quiet game where I can think, than a game with someone spamming me with random things because they could.
    Pretty much this, which I think has been established pretty well by now. Some, and by that I dare say quite a lot of us, simply prefer not to deal with the inevitable BM that will come our way if we do not squelch the opponent, much less allow for a more articulate chat to occur. If anything, I'm rather confused by why this is so confusing to so many, like the OP, and why he acts like this is some great violation of his rights.

Do you stand up and ask "is this what it has come to then?" if you're on a bus where nobody is talking, or in an elevator where everybody simply minds their own business?

Quote Originally Posted by Faint^ View Post
    I'm a little confused bread. First you want a option to report peoples name which I agree with. Now you want to communicate with people who will be calling you offensive and downright dirty things? You really don't think things through do you? I really have to ask. Are you new to online gaming?
    I have to agree. I was totally with bread on being able to report naming. I get that some people are more sensitive than others and I'm all for defending those sensibilities in order to promote a more enjoyable experience for everyone. Asking for chat funtionality is a complete 180 though. I really and truly don't get why someone who is a bit on the sensitive side would deliberately ask for the abuse of others. Yes it’s sad that things are the way they are, but you can't just wish it different. Having a chat function in game would ruin hearthstone. If you want to chat with folks while you play, make some Btag friends and use the battle.net chat function to do so. The beauty of doing things this way is you can filter out the A-holes yourself. I play this way all the time with my friends and we use it as a tool to provide input. Feel free to PM me for my Btag, i'd be happy to chat while playing a few games. Now if only we could have a spectator mode, that is what I feel the game is truly missing.

Deleted
    I squelsh everyone I meet. The few times I forget I either get:

- Mages that spam me with "Hello" since the start of the game
    - Priests that spam me with "Thank you" whenever they use Thougthsteal or Mind Control
    - Warlocks and Hunters that spam me with "Sorry" whenever they have some weird combination of cards that do some insane amount of burst damage in 1 turn to kill me when they have no board
    - Druids that spam "Sorry" before using the combo

So, yeah, I will continue squelshing everyone.