Poll: Are you happy with the current design for Demonic Servitude?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Are you happy with the current design for Demonic Servitude?

I am curious how many Locks currently like the design of Demonic Servitude: turning the DG/Infernal into new permanent pets, with hybrid ability sets, intended to completely replace all your other pets. Thus:
    • Infernal replaces Voidwalker/Voidlord and Felguard/Wrathguard for AoE / Tanking.
    • Doomguard replaces Imp, Felhunter/Observer, Succubus/Shivarra, Felguard/Wrathguard for Single-Target.

NOT THE CURRENT NUMBERS TUNING (where it is underperforming). Just the design concept itself. Assume Servitude is suddenly magically right on par with the other 2 choices DPS-wise.

For the spec choice, pick the spec you play the most, or the one you intend to play at level 100. If you play multiple specs, choose from the perspective of your favorite spec.

(I realize this may differ sharply between PvP and PvE focused players, but I decided against inflating the poll to a confusing 12 options).

I see no reason why we should loose our 10 minute DPS cool down with the talent.

True that it's not all that amazing, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    I am curious how many Locks currently like the design of Demonic Servitude: turning the DG/Infernal into new permanent pets, with hybrid ability sets, intended to completely replace all your other pets. Thus:
    • Infernal replaces Voidwalker/Voidlord and Felguard/Wrathguard for AoE / Tanking.
    • Doomguard replaces Imp, Felhunter/Observer, Succubus/Shivarra, Felguard/Wrathguard for Single-Target.

NOT THE CURRENT NUMBERS TUNING (where it is underperforming). Just the design concept itself. Assume Servitude is suddenly magically right on par with the other 2 choices DPS-wise.

For the spec choice, pick the spec you play the most, or the one you intend to play at level 100. If you play multiple specs, choose from the perspective of your favorite spec.

(I realize this may differ sharply between PvP and PvE focused players, but I decided against inflating the poll to a confusing 12 options).
    I appreciate the idea behind the talent of having a completely passive, non-interactive damage boost that also looks cool and sounds awesome on paper.

Unfortunately, I don't see the need for us to have yet another pet talent when the level 75 tier is completely devoted to such a theme. In addition, by the limitation that they replace our existing pets, the pets must have all of the utility of all of the original pets which is frankly unrealistic. Add to that that it creates a trap talent when paired with GoSac in that one doesn't gain any additional benefit from sacrificing a greater demon, and I don't like the talent at all.

Losing our guardian CD only further adds to my dislike of the talent conceptually.

The final reason why I'm not a fan is that Demonology loses their special pet and it's benefits when using DServ. The only realistic solution to balancing the three talents is to give Demonology a special greater demon, or else that talent is worse than the same talent for the other specs, which can cause some balancing headaches.

I have no clue which spec I'm going to play, so I'm not gonna vote, but... Given that I've wanted a permanent infernal and/or doomguard for something approaching a decade now, I can't say I'm particularly upset at the concept itself.

I'll say what I said in the demonology thread: this talent would be awesome if it was a permanent guardian that was in addition to your normal pet. Then demo could have its felguard, aff/destro could sac their pet if they want, and Blizzard doesn't need to worry about giving utility to the doomguard/infernal. They could even keep then 10 minute cooldown and you can just have TWO doomguards out for part of the fight. I want my demon army.

I'd kind of miss the older pets, but it's a cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    I see no reason why we should loose our 10 minute DPS cool down with the talent.

True that it's not all that amazing, but still...
    Well... obviously you're trading the 10m CD for higher sustained damage. Perfectly valid as an option IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Re-vamp for demonology to have a second pet. Two wrathguards at once? Yes please.

would rather have my normal pet + a guardian all time..

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Well... obviously you're trading the 10m CD for higher sustained damage. Perfectly valid as an option IMO.
    As long as it balances out that way.

I can't sacrifice them, so no I am not happy with it.

My point of view on pets are that they are a non-optimisable part of my damage, and I want them to be less of my damage breakdown, not more.

I can't 'play better' and have them put out more (with the exception of demo on aoe fests). If it is a high movement fight, they act like training wheels, reducing how much penalty I suffer - but if it is a fight where the priority target changes locations frequently, then I lose out to other classes. I don't really consider either of these to be a good thing - having my kit able to damage on the run and having pets do less would be much more preferable.

They add flavour, but I much prefer the 2-5% pet damage days where they buffed my damage via procs / added utility, rather than the current era where they are one of my hardest hitting spells.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2014-08-18 at 04:26 AM.

At the moment the talent smells of trap. I know that passives are suppose to be the weakest of the options but it seems that this talent will only be taken by those who don't know better, which is psychotic design.

Demonology is currently the one that suffers the most. The two demons gained by this fail to make up for both losing a cooldown as well as losing the Felguard/Wrathguard. They would need to be unbelievably powerful in order to ever justify their use.

If tuned well it might be pretty useful, but I still don't like how it replaces 10m cooldown
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    *WOW-Killer, a mythological MMO which would pull 7 million players away from WOW. As of yet no MMO has been worthy of this title. Some feel it will be heralded by a star in the East and 3 wise nerds.

First off I'd like to say that I LOVE this talent because it gives us cool new demons. But that being said my only constructive criticism would be that for demo it seems lacking because Fel/Wrathguard shouldn't be overshadowed by demons that any spec of warlock can use. Some ways to fix this could be.

1- Making the new demons permanent minions for Demo only so we can still use our Demo exclusive pet as our primary. "My favorite idea"

2-Give Demo an exclusive new demon when picking the talent.

3-Buff the Fel/Wrathguards damage so they do equal damage to the new pets which makes the talent more utility/cosmetic based "least favorite idea"

Or they can just leave it as it is and we can just deal. Demo mastery makes the pets do more damage than the other specs do but at the expense of our spec specific perk demon. Doesn't make much sense but then again I'm not a game designer I'm just a customer/fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't see why people don't like this talent. I'm pretty excited for it.
    Personality: INTJ

“Greatness, at any cost.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like that it comes at the cost of the 10 minute cooldown.
    I don't like that Demo loses its distinctiveness and gains absolutely nothing from it.

where's "No, I'm warlock" option?

I like the idea of a talent row with an active single target, an active AOE and a passive single target/AOE. If they managed to tune it so that the passive is slightly worse than the other two options when used correctly then good players will still shine and the rest have no excuse to call for further simplification of gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    I like the idea of a talent row with an active single target, an active AOE and a passive single target/AOE. If they managed to tune it so that the passive is slightly worse than the other two options when used correctly then good players will still shine and the rest have no excuse to call for further simplification of gameplay.
    It's a contest of idea, vs implementation. Ultimately, even if DB ends up tuned better than Cataclysm, Cataclysm will still be the go-to talent on the overwhelming majority of encounters. We'll be balanced around the AoE/multitarget damage Cataclysm offers, and so be massively punished when we don't have it specced, meanwhile only having average or slightly higher than average AoE/multitarget damage than specs which need not make that "choice" when we take it.

Ultimately, that design simply cannot and will not ever allow one or the other to feel like a real decision, playstyle choice, or bonus when you make that call. The encounter makes the call, and you follow, and do no more than the permitted damage as a result. Make the wrong call, and you're raid wipingly fucked.

I don't believe it's a decision any other class has made for them either.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2014-08-18 at 10:19 AM.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't get the game play with Demonic Servitude and the lvl 75 talents. I understand GoServ + Demon Serv....but does GoSup buff DemoServ pets by 20%?

What is the game play with GoSac and DemoServ....you wouldn't exactly want to sac your Demonic Servitude pet. Unless it was an earlier bug in Beta that has now been fixed, if you take both GoSac and DemoServ - then you are in fact saccing your pet lvl 100 permanent guarding pet to get the GoSac buff.