Poll: Would you eat meat grown from stemcells out of lovestocks?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Don't forget about the hardcore anti-meat activists, looking at you PETA, who say that even artificial meat like this = worse than Satan.
    Believe it or not, the president of PETA was quite excited about this idea, since PETA HATES HATES HATES the way we grow our meat since it is rather cruel to our livestocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to...
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    meat the guy who came up with this idea.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

In all seriousness I don't each much meat so this doesn't do much for me.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I would definitely try it if it was proven healthy, It would also be cool because you would be able to experiment with meat you don't usually eat, like lions, and elephants ect...

If it tastes the same and is safe, then I'd eat the lab grown stuff.

Two features to the lab grown meat that should be advertised is:
    1) Less antimicrobial strains of diseases coming into existence and jumping to humans. Industrial animal farms are the biggest cause of things like MRSA.
    2) Less water wasted on keeping animals alive that will be killed later. Lab grown meat isn't going to need a constant water supply to keep its body temperature regulated and kidneys/liver functioning. We don't just lose a lot of grain to livestock, we also lose a lot of water.

My wild guess is that it'll take another 3 decades before this stuff could be on the open market for consumption.
    First long term studies need to be done to see if there are any particular chemical interactions between animal meat that weren't previously documented, and then go through the effort to reproduce those things in the lab grown meat, and then make sure their reproductions don't have any adverse side effects. Following that, an economic means to produce the meat needs to be found. Then, it needs to get the proper legal and public approval to even be considered to be sold at stores. After all of that though, we can finally throw the tofurkey out the window, and tell the vegitarians that there is now no rational reason for them to not eat meat. (Although there isn't really a rational reason for most of them in the first place. You can't make the cruelty to animals argument on eating meat, because as omnivores it is natural that we consume meat. Even herbivores consume meat when given the opprotunity. The life is sacred argument doesn't hold water either, because by being alive and human (until we make full artificial dietary supplements) you will kill something in order to continue surviving, be it things you eat, or things you kill so they don't kill you.) The more important thing out of this though would be all of the breakthroughs that'd come out of the industrial process of growing meat that'd help further growing other tissues for humans. Not to mention the increased population limit for the human race on the planet, since there is only a finite amount of space and resources we can use, and thus a finite number of people we can feed.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'd love to...
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    meat the guy who came up with this idea.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

In all seriousness I don't each much meat so this doesn't do much for me.
    I imagine the guy that thought this up has quite a bit of juicy wisdom to chew on to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valstorm Warsong View Post
    I would definitely try it if it was proven healthy, It would also be cool because you would be able to experiment with meat you don't usually eat, like lions, and elephants ect...
    That line of thinking also could lead towards some really disturbing cannibalism...man, that line of thought that I just went through crept me out.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2014-09-16 at 08:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

So much common sense in that poll unlike what I normally perceive on these forums.

Of course this comes with a bit of a theory-- if you could just "harvest" all your food in a lab, would cows and other livestock go extinct as a result? They basically don't exist in the wild, and why be a rancher with cows when the lab is selling the same meat at half price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Yeah, eating meat without killing any animal is a win. So is having an endless supply of food.
    Endless won't mean free. You'll pay a shitload for it, even if it tasted like death took a dump.

Then again, if the richer part of society went for it, there'd be more funding, and there would be tastes like "Filet mingion", "Suckling duck", and "Tears of the homeless".

Decades later, you'll buy one on the McDollar Menu, "Yeah, can I order a McMeaty?" with or without vat grown psuedo cheese like by-product? "With"

If it becomes affordable and tasty, or able to be tweaked to flavors I want, then I'm all about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

This was tried on Eureka already. It didn't end well from what I remember.

Y'all can enjoy your synthetics, GMO and what not. I'll continue to enjoy the "old fashioned", 100% natural grass-fed <3

I'm curious how many of you would eat meat fashioned from recycled human waste "if it tasted good"
    As they say, you are what you eat!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    Y'all can enjoy your synthetics, GMO and what not. I'll continue to enjoy the "old fashioned", 100% natural grass-fed <3

I'm curious how many of you would eat meat fashioned from recycled human waste "if it tasted good"
    As they say, you are what you eat!
    You're aware that many animals regularly eat their own shit and vomit right? Because if you are what you eat and you're eating something that eats shit and vomit...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    You're aware that many animals regularly eat their own shit and vomit right? Because if you are what you eat and you're eating something that eats shit and vomit...
    Do cows or chickens eat their own waste? I know pigs do, but I don't eat pork.
    Besides that, an animal eating its own waste =/= food MADE from waste.

Same as last time this came up. If it tastes good and doesn't cost as much as diamonds (and preferably looks good) I would eat it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Well something has to be done about factory farming, it's disgusting, inhumane, and environmentally disastrous. Unfortunately most people are too ignorant to pick up a book or watch a documentary because agricultural lobbyists do a tremendous job at keeping the lid on their crimes so most people do not even assume such issues are even noteworthy. I drop the ball when I go out sometimes but at home I only eat animals that were raised properly.

Frankly I think it's just time American society recognizes that you don't need a couple pounds of meat with every meal. Imagine if more people knew how to cook vegetables and legumes in an equally satisfying manner. For whatever reason the area I live in is fairly lean, I suppose because of the higher household income, but when I go out to the boonies the obesity is quite frightening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneo View Post
    Well something has to be done about factory farming, it's disgusting, inhumane, and environmentally disastrous. Unfortunately most people are too ignorant to pick up a book or watch a documentary because agricultural lobbyists do a tremendous job at keeping the lid on their crimes so most people do not even assume such issues are even noteworthy. I drop the ball when I go out sometimes but at home I only eat animals that were raised properly.

Frankly I think it's just time American society recognizes that you don't need a couple pounds of meat with every meal. Imagine if more people knew how to cook vegetables and legumes in an equally satisfying manner. For whatever reason the area I live in is fairly lean, I suppose because of the higher household income, but when I go out to the boonies the obesity is quite frightening.
    Meat (--- vegi junk

However industry here is quite nature. Not counting the products that come from other countrys (wich are seriosly bad quality).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Grow meat without having to slaughter a living animal with emotions?
    Love to.

In fact it will likely eventually lead to the day where murdering any animal for any reason becomes illegal.
    And with the rapid rates all animals on earth are going extinct because of humans, we need to hurry it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Grow meat without having to slaughter a living animal with emotions?
    Love to.

In fact it will likely eventually lead to the day where murdering any animal for any reason becomes illegal.
    And with the rapid rates all animals on earth are going extinct because of humans, we need to hurry it up.
    With an exception for termites.

Snakes and spiders are cool, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's no difference in texture, taste and the way you cook it, then sure I'd eat it. When the price is equal or lower than 'regular' meat and it meets my other criteria, then it would be all that I'd buy.

Deleted
    If they can get it to roughly the same cost and extremely close in taste, I'd absolutely eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Endless won't mean free. You'll pay a shitload for it, even if it tasted like death took a dump.

Then again, if the richer part of society went for it, there'd be more funding, and there would be tastes like "Filet mingion", "Suckling duck", and "Tears of the homeless".

Decades later, you'll buy one on the McDollar Menu, "Yeah, can I order a McMeaty?" with or without vat grown psuedo cheese like by-product? "With"

If it becomes affordable and tasty, or able to be tweaked to flavors I want, then I'm all about it.
    Reminds me of some world of the Matrix (the scene where he's eating the steak and making the deal with Agent Smith) mixed with Soylent Green