Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Just ordered my computer parts

I put my order in last night. I ordered something that was suggested by someone here, and "approved" my others browsing the forum.

I know little about computer hardware so I have a question.

Do I need to order an ethernet card or something for the internet?

Here's what I ordered

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.21 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.50 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.25 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($194.98 @ Amazon Canada)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.95 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ NCIX)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.79 @ DirectCanada)
    Total: $994.64

Only if you need or want wireless. Your system board has RJ45 (wired) etherenet built in

Onboard LAN
    LAN Chipset Intel I218V
    Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps

Though if you need wireless Ethernet, I would suggest getting like a $10 USB NIC

*Also, if I could suggest, getting an additional 1TB spindle drive may not be a bad idea either. (for audio & video files, downloads, archives, backups, etc). Just seems to me you'll fill up 250 GB pretty quickly.

** Are you bringing the optical drive(s) over from your previous rig? (BluRay/DVD)

*** I like those heat sinks
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2014-09-15 at 10:31 AM.

Hiya Velky...nice build you got there! Should get some nice gaming on that.

You don't need an ethernet card. The motherboard has an ethernet (aka LAN) port on it. You just put an ethernet cable into it and plug other end into your modem/router.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97M%20Pro4/

http://education-portal.com/academy/...on.html#lesson
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

Great, thanks both of you.

Ragedaug I will get a 1 TB HD later on. The shipping/taxes on my order gave me a kick in the ass so a HD will have to wait for another pay check

Deleted
    Seems fine to me although I think you should have bought Windows 8.1. You can get it to behave much like 7 if you are absolutely dislike metro, it's even more optimized than 7 and supports the newest hardware & drivers. It syncs incredibly well if you use multiple computers.
    Plus there is a good chance the upgrade price to 9 will be cheaper than from 7.

Enjoy your new computer!

Deleted
    Decent enough, with only minor changes to make it better, IMO:

1) you should have gotten the non-mATX version of that motherboard; and
    2) I agree with Sil's assessment of Win7.

Everything else is what I'd pick for a build valued at CA$1k.

What is the difference between these power supplies I see that are "Bronze certified" and "Gold certified"? What does it mean?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    What is the difference between these power supplies I see that are "Bronze certified" and "Gold certified"? What does it mean?
    Those are efficiency certifications, because when you plug in your power supply to the wall, the PSU converts the AC input to a DC output for the components. Gold Certified, iirc, are 90% efficient in the conversion process at 50% load, whereas Bronze are 82.5% efficient, iirc. So, for example, a 550 Watt Bronze PSU would draw more from the wall at 275W load than the same wattage Gold PSU.

When everything does come in, is it as easy as copying stuff I want to keep (Such as WoW, D3, music) to a SSD or HDD and putting it on my new computer?

Deleted
    Yes for wow and probably for other Blizzard games.

Most apps and games cannot generally be copied though, you need to reinstall them

Music if these are MP3/wma copy them under music folder or add their folders to music library.
    Same for videos.

For your own documents, pictures I suggest using a cloud storage service such as OneDrive (first 7 GB are free) as they sync from computer to computers, it's amazingly practical.

I assume your previous computer was not equipped win Windows 8 or 8.1: it would have synchronized your settings, Internet favorites & cookies to a new w8/8.1 computer.
    As it is, you may have to copy your favorites & cookies manually, which is browser dependent (with chrome you have the option to sync to your Google account, probably something similar with Firefox or with xmarks.

Also if your computer isn't too old there may be a windows 7 utility to automatically transfer files & settings to new computer - can't remember haven't used 7 for a long time.

My computer is SOOOOO old I'm using windows vista

Most of my parts have arrived.

Would it be recommended to have someone else put it together if I've never done it before? I asked a buddy who is willing.

How long does it take to put together?

I mean. if you know someone who is willing to do it for you at no price, and Has put computers together before, I would say yes. Let him build it, but you should watch as he does it to get an idea of how to do it yourself.

In terms of how long, I would say no longer than an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently assembled a PC for my mum and it took me around an hour, but I do have previous experience.

Building a PC is easier than you might think, just follow a video guide on youtube and TAKE YOUR TIME !
    There is a good one from Linus Tech Tips if I remember correctly. No doubt a fellow poster can link a decent one for you as it is late and I need bed, sorry.

Read any and all instructions with or without diagrams at least twice and keep the motherboard manual handy throughout the build. You will need to refer to it quite a bit.

Set aside a suitable and flat, non carpeted surface for the build. You do NOT want to fry your PC with static electricity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Most of my parts have arrived.

Would it be recommended to have someone else put it together if I've never done it before? I asked a buddy who is willing.

How long does it take to put together?
    Unless we are talking about a mini/micro built that requires extra time, standard atx for a new builder will need like an hour to plug all things and have it working. That aside you might need like another 1-2hours just to have a very good cable management, depends how picky you are, the build itself etc. You will spend like half of that time to basically get the mobo into the case and install a big aftermarket cooler (if there is one). Thats it everything else goes in quick.

So pretty much everything has arrived. I'm still waiting for my processor, video card and power supply.

I brought it over to a buddy's house and he installed the mobo, SSD and ram. I will get the rest installed when he gets back next week.

Any reason I wasn't told to buy a disk drive? Can't really install windows without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    USB drive works to install OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    USB drive works to install OS.
    What if I have a CD I need to use?

On another note, I still need a HDD. Will anything do? I will just pick something up locally, how is this:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Seagate-Des...9_2-CA_1_20001

Also I will need that disk drive. Can anyone suggest something from the following sites:

www.staples.ca
    www.futureshop.ca
    Last edited by Velky; 2014-09-21 at 02:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you have a CD then yeah a drive would be needed. On the phone so can't check stuff atm.

Anyone? Would like to get my parts tomorrow.

On another note, I still need a HDD. Will anything do? I will just pick something up locally, how is this:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Seagate-Des...9_2-CA_1_20001

Also I will need that disk drive. Can anyone suggest something from the following sites:

www.staples.ca
    www.futureshop.ca