10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Dracula Untold

So trailers popped up all over NFL yesterday. Anyone else see them? And if so, first impressions? Mine weren't...favorable, not because of the action or effects or a god-damn vampire flying around a battlefield ripping people's heads off. Instead, the idea of a Maleficent-style reboot where the main character is known to be pure evil, but they're going to make him sympathetic somehow. Same reason I stopped playing Manhunt after about 60 seconds, I guess.

Trailer is here if you're interested. Thoughts? Comments? Anyone going to see it?

There seems to be a lack of other options in October, so I might end up going no matter what, but I think the movie could go either way.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trailer looks great and I might see the movie.

W/e I see a vampire movie the Belmonts come to mind.
    You cared enough to post.

Personally, I wish they'd just do a movie about the actual Vlad the Impaler and ditch the vampire shit. Yes, he did some crazy shit(though a fair amount of the stuff he supposedly did is most likely propaganda invented by his enemies), but he was also a certifiable badass, AND under his rule, his country had a strong economy, a low crime rate...he's still considered a national hero in his homeland for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Vlad the Impaler
    Is Dracula not based on Vlad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yeah he is. This film seems to be a twist on his real story and the made up vampire one so I think it might be reasonably good.

The film looks surprisingly OK, but then again, so did Van Helsing. I'll probably check it out if it gets half decent reviews, if not, I'll just wait for a DVD/digital release. I find it hard to put faith in any vampire films any more.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So trailers popped up all over NFL yesterday. Anyone else see them? And if so, first impressions? Mine weren't...favorable, not because of the action or effects or a god-damn vampire flying around a battlefield ripping people's heads off. Instead, the idea of a Maleficent-style reboot where the main character is known to be pure evil, but they're going to make him sympathetic somehow. Same reason I stopped playing Manhunt after about 60 seconds, I guess.

Trailer is here if you're interested. Thoughts? Comments? Anyone going to see it?
    The thing about Dracula Untold is, that it blends the Vlad Tepes of the real world with the Bram Stoker Dracula and thus create an amalgamation of a vampire. The real Vlad Tepes could be said to have had many sympathetic elements I'm sure, where as the Dracula of Bram Stoker does not. Your post however, does seem to imply that you are unaware of the fact that Dracula is indeed inspired, or even based, upon a real persona.

On topic; the movie looks awesome - nuff said.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed. However Bram Stoker's Dracula has just about nothing to do with Vlad Tepes, aside from the name Dracula.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The name was inspired by him, but beyond that, not really. This new Dracula movie at least seems like it's taking some elements from the historical Vlad and combining them with elements of the vampire story to create some pseudo-historical vampire action movie. As badass as the real Vlad was though, I'd rather just see an actual movie based on him, instead of a movie that has a scene where a guy kinda based on him summons about a billion bats and has them attack the opposing army.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Personally, I wish they'd just do a movie about the actual Vlad the Impaler and ditch the vampire shit. Yes, he did some crazy shit(though a fair amount of the stuff he supposedly did is most likely propaganda invented by his enemies), but he was also a certifiable badass, AND under his rule, his country had a strong economy, a low crime rate...he's still considered a national hero in his homeland for a reason.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240793/?ref_=fn_al_tt_5

DVD cover shows fangs, yes, but there's no vampire stuff in the movie; Vlad is a mortal man with moral flaws. The last minute or so of the movie flirts with the idea of vampirism for fun when they go to his tomb and find it empty. Was a pretty good movie, though it's been several years since I watched it. Might do dig through my dvds and give it another watch tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So trailers popped up all over NFL yesterday. Anyone else see them? And if so, first impressions? Mine weren't...favorable, not because of the action or effects or a god-damn vampire flying around a battlefield ripping people's heads off. Instead, the idea of a Maleficent-style reboot where the main character is known to be pure evil, but they're going to make him sympathetic somehow. Same reason I stopped playing Manhunt after about 60 seconds, I guess?
    That depends largely on what Dracula mythology you grew up with.

The Idea that Dracula (the fictional character) was "pure evil" is a fairly recent one. Yes, from everything we know, Vlad the Impailer (one of the inspirations for Dracula) was almost pure evil (mainly in a "Make my enemies so fucking scared of me that they never ever try to stir up shit in my neibourhood" kind of way), but most classic takes on Dracula himself have never had him being pure evil, just largely misunderstood.

This jut looks like the movie version of one of the existing takes on Dracula as a man who made a faustian "deal with the devil" in exchange for the power to protect his people. Will be interesting to see how the religio-politicos respond, seeing as there is basicly going to be a backstory of "christian man sells soul to devil to fight evil muslims" in this.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2014-09-17 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    That depends largely on what dracula mythology you grew up with.

The Idea that Dracula (the fictional character) was "pure evil" is a fairly recent one. Yes, from everything we know, Vlad the Impailer (one of the inspirations for Dracula) was almost pure evil, but most classic takes on Dracula himself have never had him being pure evil, just largely misunderstood.
    Really? I was under the expression moral ambiguity is a new trend. Dracula and vampires were popular in Victorian London, where they represented temptation towards the sexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Really? I was under the expression moral ambiguity is a new trend. Dracula and vampires were popular in Victorian London, where they represented temptation towards the sexual.
    The Dracula of Bram Stoker's vision is what I would consider the "classic" / Super old School Dracula. Stoker's version is basicly not much more then a seductive sexual predator under the guise of a supernatural aristocrat. Literally nothing is detailed about his past or how he came to be what he was in Stoker's original work.
    The Dracula I grew up with was one where the "Vampire" as created by Stoker had now existed for more then a century in fiction circles and considerable work had been done fleshing them out. Much more work had been done fleshing out things like his backstory, how / why he became a vampire, his connections to the Transylvanian Gypsies, and things like that. I guess you could say the one I am more familiar with is probably a "middle ground" version.
    The much newer takes on him in fantasy literature are usually the ones I see that try to make him out to be more monster and less conflicted human, pushing him farther towards the "Evil" spectrum.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2014-09-17 at 07:46 AM.

I kinda meant a movie with a real budget, and people I've heard of. Something that could actually do a good depiction of the Night Raid with a bit more historical accuracy and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Yes, from everything we know, Vlad the Impailer (one of the inspirations for Dracula) was almost pure evil (mainly in a "Make my enemies so fucking scared of me that they never ever try to stir up shit in my neibourhood" kind of way),
    Under his rule, his homeland prospered, the economy was great, crime was low, standards of living(for the era) were actually quite high compared to many places...he's considered a national hero in his homeland, not a man of "pure evil".