Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Way to devalue the ambiance of a living infrastructure idea.

I love this idea purely for the reason that its moving towards a mesh of biological and machine.

Now we just need living spaceships and my universe will be complete.

Did someone say living spaceship?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm not sure that it would need protection from atmospheric conditions in most places. Can algae survive freezing/melting?

As for water replenishment, that can be done once a month by a dude with a hose. Manufacturing processes for stuff like this would be far less damaging to the environment than solar cells and batteries.

That said, my concern would be with the lighting quality. Seems to only provide low level green light, which wouldn't do much good in most locations. So I agree that it would end up a cool novelty item for your desk.
    Even if it could survive freezing it would be in stasis if it was chilled and thus no photosynthesis and no light.

I mean don't get me wrong. I think it's neat. But people tend to jump the gun and get gigantic enviroboners over stories like this and are sorely let down when the impracticalities get pointed out. I mean, maybe you can power the algae heaters with solar roadways.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Way to devalue the ambiance of a living infrastructure idea.

I love this idea purely for the reason that its moving towards a mesh of biological and machine.

Now we just need living spaceships and my universe will be complete.

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Escape Velocity reference ftw. I used to wonder if really anyone but me had ever heard of that game.
    It's an all time favorite of mine.

I caught the Shadeofblue(Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Hooloovoo reference) and I have it on a floppy somewhere.

I think that's a great invention. Algae really is cool, I have been waiting for them to have huge algae farms to bring the price of diesel down even further.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Algae is at it again. Is there much that these organisms can't do for us

http://inhabitat.com/living-microalg...-from-the-air/
    Hmmmm I see the date as earlier this year but I have read this exact post from this french guy with CO2 sequestering lamps at least 2 years ago.

Great for mood lighting, probably not so great for streetlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    Then he'd have to come up with more than one name, though. Wouldn't want to offend all his little friends by not being able to tell them apart.
    Just name the collective, it becomes all the more creepy and borg like

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    You know that saying about how if you have an idea you should write it down and complete it before someone else has the same idea? Well, I have had this screenplay idea that involves a human-built spacecraft and biological organisms... combining... hmmm, time to flesh my screenplay out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    You know that saying about how if you have an idea you should write it down and complete it before someone else has the same idea? Well, I have had this screenplay idea that involves a human-built spacecraft and biological organisms... combining... hmmm, time to flesh my screenplay out.
    Hasn't that been done to death?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

I suspect he meant organic.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The lamp uses the energy created by the algae’s own photosynthesis process to power the light within, while the algae itself lives on CO2 in the air outside.

Read more: Living Microalgae Lamp Absorbs CO2 From the Air | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building
    Guys, the algae doesn't glow, it just stores the power the algae creates and uses it to power an actual light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsimp View Post
    Guys, the algae doesn't glow, it just stores the power the algae creates and uses it to power an actual light.
    So if they made that light external so that you had actual good lighting quality, it might be OK.

Was more interested in the potential to slow down the ecological effects of deforestation than providing lighting. But certainly its a start, if only we could spend more money researching this instead of better missiles :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was more interested in the potential to slow down the ecological effects of deforestation than providing lighting. But certainly its a start, if only we could spend more money researching this instead of better missiles :P
    Hey now, DARPA does some pretty cool stuff too:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...-4-minute-mile

Algae is at it again. Is there much that these organisms can't do for us

http://inhabitat.com/living-microalg...-from-the-air/
    Kinda interesting. I've always like the concept of industrial organic applications (I'd love to have one of those organic space ships from Babylon 5). My only concern, as an allergy sufferer, is that if this set up either is open to air in any way or leads to a moister local living environment, say inside a dwelling, if that would encourage mold growth?

I have terrible mold allergies, and that would be a non-starter for me, as much as I am interested in the technology.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

15+ Year Old Account
    I want one unless there is any waste as in cleaning the tube or smells
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Hasn't that been done to death?
    Not this way, as I haven't explained how those two things interact, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Kinda interesting. I've always like the concept of industrial organic applications (I'd love to have one of those organic space ships from Babylon 5). My only concern, as an allergy sufferer, is that if this set up either is open to air in any way or leads to a moister local living environment, say inside a dwelling, if that would encourage mold growth?

I have terrible mold allergies, and that would be a non-starter for me, as much as I am interested in the technology.
    I'm quite the pie-in-the-sky dreamer, but I went to a fashion/design, like, presentation day/thing at one of the London Uni's (Goldsmiths?) and some girl there was designing cases for these algae protein tanks, the idea being that if they looked sleek and attractive, people would be happy ahving one in their flat (plus the food bills would be decreased by eating green sludge instead of other food, or something). That coupled with this guy - http://www.australiangeographic.com....ves-his-dream/ - just got me really interested in the potentials, so I'm all over any new stuff that gets developed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

wow I love this idea

Deleted
    What I'm curious about is how does one even end up in a four year old thread. Are you spying on people, reading through their posting history? Are you doing random searches and seeing what pops up? Do you not care that it's a four year old thread and you're necroing it, or are you doing it on purpose?

And once again, just add...

<?php
    if($ageofthread>$necrolimit) {
    lockthread_and_returntothreadlist();
    }
    ?>

...to the post.php. Donezo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I put one in the backyard. Whats the upkeep?