Part Upgrading PC -> Advice Needed.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my PC so that it can run some of the more demanding games which are getting released. In particular, I'm looking to upgrade from the AMD II X3 455 3.3GHz I currently have installed. I ideally want to switch over to an i5, which means I'm looking advice on what I should be looking at for the following components:
    - CPU
    - CPU Cooler
    - Mobo (Full ATX)
    - RAM

I'm not going to replace anything else at the moment. Including the CPU, my budget is about £400 - although I'd like to obviously save money where I can.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Deleted
    Here you go (you can go cheaper on board if you have to):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.74 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (£30.14 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£98.22 @ More Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£60.46 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £355.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-15 23:19 BST+0100

You should go for the I5-4690K and overclock it.
    For overclocking you need a Z97 Board like the ASRock Extreme 4 Z97, which is good for OC.
    For RAM i would recommend something faster than 1600Mhz, WoW profits from faster RAMs like 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 DIMM CL10 Dual Kit.
    Because of the OC you need a good cpu cooler like the Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A
    I don't know the prices in the UK, but those four parts are about 430€ in Germany.

Thanks for the replies guys, this is helpful!

Kostattoo, can I ask why you picked this motherboard over others which I see highly recommended (e.g., the Asus Z97-A?

Deleted
    Take Kos' build sleection and run. That is arguably the best value for you, given the circumstances. Have a look at some of the daily offers on the computer store websites and you might even be able to knock it down further.

Well i would't recommend a Gigabyte mainboard these days, the power phases on their boards are not as good for OC as on others e.g. the ASRock Extreme 4 which is a very good board for that price

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Failmon View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, this is helpful!

Kostattoo, can I ask why you picked this motherboard over others which I see highly recommended (e.g., the Asus Z97-A?
    Z97-A/Z97X-gaming3 have pretty much same features, but gigabyte one has better audio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do bear in mind that replacing the motherboard will mean having to get a new license on your OS though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feesh View Post
    Do bear in mind that replacing the motherboard will mean having to get a new license on your OS though.
    Not really

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Not really
    Well ok, there's other ways, but replacing the motherboard isn't quite as simple as replacing other parts, just make sure to do a little research before switching it out, would have saved me quite a bit of trouble about a month ago if someone would have told me the same.

Deleted
    Sometimes it will work when swapping mobo's without doing anything, "sometimes". If it doesn't, you give a call to microsoft and tell them you had to replace your mobo and they'll fix it for you.

Deleted
    I'd recommend a new OS install anyway. It might work without and there are workarounds if it doesn't, but a fresh install will save you the hassle.

Deleted
    A fresh install is reckoned anyway, but the o/s gets tied to the original mobo, so you can't authendicate your copy after you install it on a new one (new mobo).