Why doesn't apple sell unlocked iPhones?

On apple's website you can buy the GSM version of any current iPhone for AT&T and T-Mobile, but not for Verizon or Sprint.

In my case, I want to get an unlocked iPhone 6 and pay full retail; my account isn't eligible for upgrade yet. I cannot do this direct from apple but I can from Verizon. I don't understand why they don't allow this. Do they not want my money or something?

Anyone have any ideas/theories?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaur View Post
    On apple's website you can buy the GSM version of any current iPhone for AT&T and T-Mobile, but not for Verizon or Sprint.

In my case, I want to get an unlocked iPhone 6 and pay full retail; my account isn't eligible for upgrade yet. I cannot do this direct from apple but I can from Verizon. I don't understand why they don't allow this. Do they not want my money or something?

Anyone have any ideas/theories?
    I think that's just a US thing, you can buy unlocked phones in AUS.

Deleted
    i think there is more money in that way they are doing. no?

Anyway, im too tired for calculating.

They want to pump your phones full of tracking software and GPS locators before they sell them to you. It's just that they need a number and nametag to go along with your dot on the screen.

15+ Year Old Account
    They make deals with providers to not to and get extra money from it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

You can unlock legally now in the US. Not like anyone paid attention to the old law anyways. Maybe it's because the carriers are leasing you the phone? Maybe because they put ads on the phone?

Just guessing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the companies only want you to use their service obviously.

If it's purely down to apple making more money, they make the same regardless. As far as I know apple doesn't get a penny of the service fees that the cell companies charge the consumer. If anything, apple would make MORE money selling an unlocked iPhone off their website since they are directly collecting all the cash for it, rather than selling the phone to a retailer at a discounted price and then the carrier making the difference in cost.

For example, If Verizon bought an iPhone from apple and paid $724.00 and then sold it unlocked for $750, they just made the difference in cost/margins. If apple sold it directly to me at $750, they would make ALL that money and not lose out on selling to a retailer at a reduced rate.

It's just frustrating to not be able to buy something that costs so much and not being able to. Imagine if, for all you apple fans out there, you could no longer buy a MacBook Air at full retail and instead had to buy it subsidized with a 2 year agreement. Yes you'd pay less initially, but more in the long term.