10+ Year Old Account
    Seattle, the land where we have good internet.

Weak Aura (circular progress bar)

So I'm just wondering, is there any way to make a progress bar in Weak Auras have a circular orientation, or is that not available?
    The usual options are bottom to top, top to bottom, left to right, right to left. Is there a way to have it in some sort of circular fashion, like regular spells on an actionbar CD? For example if I have a circle to display the CD of a spell regenerating.
    I've been looking around the options a bit but I have this feeling it's either hidden somewhere or it involves a good amount of Lua I don't understand.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonmasher View Post
    So I'm just wondering, is there any way to make a progress bar in Weak Auras have a circular orientation, or is that not available?
    The usual options are bottom to top, top to bottom, left to right, right to left. Is there a way to have it in some sort of circular fashion, like regular spells on an actionbar CD? For example if I have a circle to display the CD of a spell regenerating.
    I've been looking around the options a bit but I have this feeling it's either hidden somewhere or it involves a good amount of Lua I don't understand.
    Thanks in advance.
    That's currently not available in WeakAuras. It's pretty hard to get any rotating progress display to work in WoW. Until recently it seemed that the only way to do that was to ship textures with different sections of a circle. And that for each texture you want to use in a circular progress bar. Clearly that doesn't work, though a few addons use this.

Recently Zork showed how he achieved a circular progress bar in rCompassCastbar using just one texture.

Now that technique is great but it has plenty of constrains, the progress circle can only start at 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°. It only works with a plain circle texture. And it is impossible to adjust the width of the bar independent from the circle size. And so on...

I briefly worked in getting this into WeakAuras even with all those constrains. Now due to all the issues and that they aren't solvable as far as I can tell, I shelved that work.

Still with that caveat in place, that's how this would look like with a "rage" aura and a buff aura for "Avatar".

Again, let me stress that it has unsolvable problems and probably never going to end up in WeakAuras due to that.
    Last edited by InfusOnWoW; 2014-09-16 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added the video again

10+ Year Old Account
    Seattle, the land where we have good internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by InfusOnWoW View Post
    That's currently not available in WeakAuras. It's pretty hard to get any rotating progress display to work in WoW. Until recently it seemed that the only way to do that was to ship textures with different sections of a circle. And that for each texture you want to use in a circular progress bar. Clearly that doesn't work, though a few addons use this.

Recently Zork showed how he achieved a circular progress bar in rCompassCastbar using just one texture.

Now that technique is great but it has plenty of constrains, the progress circle can only start at 0°, 90°, 180°, 270°. It only works with a plain circle texture. And it is impossible to adjust the width of the bar independent from the circle size. And so on...

I briefly worked in getting this into WeakAuras even with all those constrains. Now due to all the issues and that they aren't solvable as far as I can tell, I shelved that work.

Still with that caveat in place, that's how this would look like with a "rage" aura and a buff aura for "Avatar".

Again, let me stress that it has unsolvable problems and probably never going to end up in WeakAuras due to that.
    Thanks for the clarification. It's greatly appreciated. :)
    I'm working on a rune system for my DK and I was thinking if circular progress bars fail then I'll display a tiny progress bar above the runes. I am curious what blizzard uses for their CD's on spells. I made a complete UI overhaul using WA and kgPanels. Thinking of transforming it into one big addon eventually, but for now I'm sticking to simple things, as lua and other addon design is beyond my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonmasher View Post
    I am curious what blizzard uses for their CD's on spells.
    Actually I might have misunderstood you if you want the "radar sweeping" graphic, like this:

Then you just need to enable the "Cooldown" checkbox. Now that's a icon not a bar though.

Actually I might have misunderstood you if you want the "radar sweeping" graphic
    I'm no programmer and have zero fluency in LUA coding, but if I may ask a newbie question:

Can't you just apply the "radar sweeping" overlay to ring-like shape (there's one in WA2) somehow to produce a similar/identical effect?
    Where you'd be able to edit the color of the radar and the ring to create the desired color pallet.

And if so: how would you go about applying a radar sweep to an image other than a spell icon, if at all possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Couches View Post
    I'm no programmer and have zero fluency in LUA coding, but if I may ask a newbie question:

Can't you just apply the "radar sweeping" overlay to ring-like shape (there's one in WA2) somehow to produce a similar/identical effect?
    Where you'd be able to edit the color of the radar and the ring to create the desired color pallet.

And if so: how would you go about applying a radar sweep to an image other than a spell icon, if at all possible?
    You could theoretically apply the cooldown sweep effect to an image of your choosing, by creating a custom icon image.. but no, you cannot edit the color of the sweep itself.. at least not within weakauras.

and no there is no way to apply that effect to anything but an icon (or what the game believes is an icon)

You could just make an adequate amount of circle segment auras that trigger based on the progress. A bit hacky, but it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdispersion View Post
    You could just make an adequate amount of circle segment auras that trigger based on the progress. A bit hacky, but it should work.
    Yes, but you could potentially have to create those same images for every such bar that has any significant enough differences from another.
    Very tedious.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Yes, but you could potentially have to create those same images for every such bar that has any significant enough differences from another.
    Very tedious.
    There are tools, e.g. imagemagick that can be used to programtically create lots of images. I have a script that generates circle progress bar images.

There are tools, e.g. imagemagick that can be used to programtically create lots of images. I have a script that generates circle progress bar images.
    Interesting, hadn't thought of that.
    Still would be nice to have better in-game support.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Interesting, hadn't thought of that.
    Still would be nice to have better in-game support.
    Indeed it would, all we actually need for circular progress bar is some arbitary clipping support, which shouldn't be too hard to add for Blizzard.