Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Nobody said it's reserved BUT factually it is still used as a slur against homosexuals regular
    I only see it used against flamboyant obnoxious homosexuals, frequently by less-extreme homosexuals tired of lunatics like bug chasers being seen as the standard because they are, as I said, flamboyant and obnoxious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    That's not how language works.
    The meaning of a word is given by the person that translates it in his head. It's ideas we are trying to convey. If your connotative definition of faggot is some extremely awful homophobic slur, when it is used very commonly as a watered down insult, then that is on you. It's a petty and weak insult I'd classify right along jerk and dick. Stop making it out to be more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    So is gay.
    Gaylord was used as a gang name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    I only see it used against flamboyant obnoxious homosexuals, frequently by less-extreme homosexuals tired of lunatics like bug chasers being seen as the standard because they are, as I said, flamboyant and obnoxious.
    Yeah... No, gay guys are still called DIRTY FAGS by heterosexuals

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gaylord was used as a gang name.

Gaylord is also a city that is about 30 minutes from where I live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    This thread of obviously indicative of the minority.
    You are seriously trying to claim that a majority of people no longer thing fag is associated with homosexuality. Unless I'm missing your point. Which is just absurd.

You seem to be both agreeing and disagreeing?
    I'm saying that whether a word is an insult or a slur is dependent on context. A black rapper using the word nigga is most often not doing so in an insulting context. A KKK member using the word nigga is most often doing so in an insulting context.

Context context context.

Again, the fact that bug chasers are a thing is aggravating to other homosexuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gay guys are also called: tool, spanner, spoon, mong, retard, dolt, dumb, cunt, twat, bitch, cocks, dicks, pricks, bitch, wuss, puff, chicken, dickhead, geek, psycho, scumbag, weirdo, prat, queer, nutter, git, bastard, arshehole, chav, muppet, numpty, shite, bellend, wanker, tosser, pillock, plank, knob head, berk.

I'm sure there are more I can't remember.

Those can and are (among with others) used to insult straight people. 99 times out of 100 when you're insulting them you use insulting words that are for insulting. You don't mentally go through the checklist and decide, oh no, that word is too insulting because [insert reason].

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You are seriously trying to claim that a majority of people no longer thing fag is associated with homosexuality. Unless I'm missing your point. Which is just absurd.

I'm saying that whether a word is an insult or a slur is dependent on context. A black rapper using the word nigga is most often not doing so in an insulting context. A KKK member using the word nigga is most often doing so in an insulting context.

Context context context.
    Context, yes. A guy insulted another guy with an insult. You'd be hard pressed to insult him without an insult. Now we have decided that oh no, the guy was gay, so he must have went to a word some people still believe is a homosexual slur and chosen that one on purpose.

Deleted
    Again, the fact that bug chasers are a thing is aggravating to other homosexuals.
    And? o.O

What's your point?

A guy who has been writing music calling people profane gay insults for like 15 years made an anti-gay comment and people are upset? Seriously like... Have any of you guys heard of rap music? That's why he's famous!

Edit: typo
    Last edited by iCarly; 2014-09-17 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Context, yes. A guy insulted another guy with an insult. You'd be hard pressed to insult him without an insult. Now we have decided that oh no, the guy was gay, so he must have went to a word some people still believe is a homosexual slur and chosen that one on purpose.
    You are ignoring context. Context -- picture of the guy with his boyfriend in bed posted with the proceeding phrase prior to the fag term being used was something along the lines of "go suck a dick."

But please -- keep telling me that his being gay had nothing to do with the word choice. I'm sure if he posted a picture of the guy with his girlfriend and preceded it with "go lick a pussy" he would have still used fag.