Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Obviously we talk "our country" society. Do you seriously think..counting 1.7 billion Indians and 1.3 billion Chinese plus a billion Africans...many of whom live in (rural) poverty you cannot even begin to fathom have access to it? Most of them don't even have access to clean water...basic medical supplies...enough food et al.
    Ok -- well I meant first world "our country" which I'll admit...my bad.

But when basic survival is your daily mode of operations, the internet isn't going to have any impact on you. That goes for homeless and such in the US and other first world countries as well.

Although -- interestingly enough, apparently a lot of people in impoverished countries, especially in Africa have cell phones. They basically give them away there. I don't really understand it, but (long story) the Somalian refuge my family took in told lots of stories about how the villages don't have any sort of technology or plumbing or anything...but they all have cell phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Ok -- well I meant first world "our country" which I'll admit...my bad.

But when basic survival is your daily mode of operations, the internet isn't going to have any impact on you. That goes for homeless and such in the US and other first world countries as well.

Although -- interestingly enough, apparently a lot of people in impoverished countries, especially in Africa have cell phones. They basically give them away there. I don't really understand it, but (long story) the Somalian refuge my family took in told lots of stories about how the villages don't have any sort of technology or plumbing or anything...but they all have cell phones.
    Where do you think our old cell-phones or obsolete models end up? I saw a show where everyone in a village had a mobile-phone, but only one person had a generator so his business was charging up people's phones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePants999 View Post
    Apparently, it's made you too lazy to read the actual question the OP posed
    I misread titles and refuse to read OPs.
    /edgy

7+ Year Old Account
    I think this guy sums it up pretty well

http://youtu.be/HRaj2PTnfoU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Well yeah. Telephones were available in rural areas before indoor plumbing was common. Ever hear of telephones using barbed wire fences for lines?

And mobile infrastructure is cheaper than stringing out copper everywhere. You set up one tower and you've got a 35km+ radius serviced.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Love the Internet, hate how devices start to not have an offline mode. Remember the X-Box One announcement fiasco?

On topic, I believe the Internet works as the planet's brain. We, intelligent beings, feed our knowledge into this massive brain, just like a normal brain is made up of individual cells. It's a technological wonder and it has definitely affected society but not having the internet would also have had an effect on society.

The problem is not change, it's how we deal and what we do with it.
    Last edited by Juvencus; 2014-09-16 at 09:32 PM.