Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I'm not saying pregnant women shouldn't have concern for the safety of their child. I would look down on someone who was smoking while pregnant with a child they planned on keeping. My mother smoked and drank while pregnant with me and I rib her for it to this day

But like... end of the day, it's the mother's choice. If she choses to do it, then it's okay. It might be a bad choice, but... it's still okay because people can make bad choices. Why is that even up for discussion? It's a bad choice to smoke whether you are pregnant or not, but is it ever not okay to smoke? well, not unless you are indoors, no.

The only reason this should be up for discussion at all is if we are talking about laws.
    Erin, get this, we can talk about things other than laws!

You love to talk about the plight of women, justifiably. But do you always suggest we write laws to make men be more respectful? No, because you're not an idiot.

Some things have to be done by education and awareness, through discourse and engaging with the problem.

It's up for discussion because it's an interesting topic which touches on a serious issue, specifically the rights and responsibilities of expectant mothers.

If I went sky diving with my infant child, I'd be taken up on child endangerment. So why aren't mothers who heavily drink during pregnancy given the same admonishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The kick and vibrations from firing a gun will reach the child in the womb, conceivably causing damage, depending on the power of the gun & number of shots.
    Where did you get this information?

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/shoo...nt-shouldnt-i/

Lots of pregnant women seem to be shooting, but they take precautions...as they should, to ward off any risk of lead or sound getting to the baby but I haven't read about the vibrations or kick hurting the baby.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-09-16 at 09:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Erin, get this, we can talk about things other than laws!

You love to talk about the plight of women, justifiably. But do you always suggest we write laws to make men be more respectful? No, because you're not an idiot.

Some things have to be done by education and awareness, through discourse and engaging with the problem.

It's up for discussion because it's an interesting topic which touches on a serious issue, specifically the rights and responsibilities of expectant mothers.

If I went sky diving with my infant child, I'd be taken up on child endangerment. So why aren't mothers who heavily drink during pregnancy given the same admonishment?
    Because a foetus is not a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

Simple physics.

It's literally the equivalent of slapping the mother's belly.

Deleted
    none of our damn business, that's what I think

Lots of pregnant women seem to be shooting, but they take precautions...as they should, to ward off any risk of lead or sound getting to the baby but I haven't read about the vibrations or kick hurting the baby.
    I have heard stories of pregnant women going to the shooting range and their baby reacting to the noise by kicking and moving so much that they had to leave. Your baby will start responding to sound as early as 16 weeks into pregnancy and at 24 weeks, the baby’s cochlea is completely developed. Studies have shown that continuous loud noise may be harmful to a fetus. In women that were exposed to a continuous loud noise at 80dB daily for 8 hours—a normal work shift—babies were born with hearing loss, decreased birth weight and even suffered a risk of early birth. A gunshot is 140dB. Repeated exposure for long periods can damage a baby’s hearing. However, as long as you feel your baby can tolerate a little range time, you and baby should be fine. Some doctors advise to avoid shooting during the third trimester of your pregnancy. If you want to be extra cautious, shoot .22 Long Rifle or use a suppressor.
    The correct, and only viable answer to this entire thread is right there in your link.

So many ridiculous people in this thread who want to make this all about the morality of hunting when this has absolutely nothing to do with that at all.

When she shoots, a massive shockwave is going to travel through the fetus, right?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Simple physics.
    That's not really an answer. How then is it safe for the woman to ride a car on a bumpy road? Or sit in a massage chair? "Simple physics" may come off as smart but still...I'd like to see where you got the facts showing that this is the case since I'd be interested to read it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Because a foetus is not a child?
    Legally, to the parents of said foetus?

Again Erin, we're not talking legally. We're talking in it in terms of a social issue. As a human being, seeing another human being endangering the life of their child, you're not concerned at all?

And depending on the State/country the point at which they're legally an infant can vary. Here in Ireland we've no abortions for anything other than medical emergencies, because it's a backwards nut house. And for the record, I of course support a woman's choice to abort.

That's not really an answer. How then is it safe for the woman to ride a car on a bumpy road? Or sit in a massage chair? "Simple physics" may come off as smart but still...I'd like to see where you got the facts showing that this is the case since I'd be interested to read it.
    You want me to sit here and explain how physics works?

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    When she shoots, a massive shockwave is going to travel through the fetus, right?
    Not massive, but a shockwave will indeed travel through the womb and into the child via the amniotic fluid. A small foetus will be shaken by the force.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-09-16 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm fairly certain that loud guns going off right that close to the womb can cause damage to the fetus's ears. Also recoil could cause problems as well.

Unless she is firing some large caliber the recoil will be the same as a small push on the shoulder. As for sound that is a reasonable concern however I have seen preggers working in very loud factories and at firework shows. The womb is set up to protect against outside stuff.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Simple physics.

It's literally the equivalent of slapping the mother's belly.
    Correction: It's literally the equivalent of slapping the mother's shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This isn't Tree Stand Safety we're talking about.
    I am not sure what you mean by this.

You want me to sit here and explain how physics works?
    Yes please, do explain how it will harm the fetus. Again, genuine interest here. How will shooting the gun cause a specific type of harm? I have yet to find anything on this. Sound and lead traces = what I find, but nothing on vibrations.

Deleted
    Probably not from gun risk, also coz it's late and I'm lazy so not read the article, but depending on the area I guess it's also possible to always get eaten by a bear. I class that as a risk to both woman an baby.

Same with moose stampedes, or being shot because you look like a moose. *shrug* probably a bad idea overall.

The kick and vibrations from firing a gun will reach the child in the womb, conceivably causing damage, depending on the power of the gun and how often you shoot.

When you fire that gun it creates a recoil - a wave of force that is absorbed into your body. Given how delicate an unborn child is I wouldn't chance that shockwave passing into throught it.
    Then pregnant women should not jog either. Constant shock and reverb from hitting the pavement could cause damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Not really no. I mean there will be a reverb through the body but even from a 12 gauge its no more force than a light push on the shoulder, how much damage is that actually going to do.
    Last edited by IIamaKing; 2014-09-16 at 09:12 PM.

It is not ok to hunt, at any time or state. Unless you only can eat what you hunt.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's also bow hunting but that's not exactly easy on a pregnant woman either I'd imagine. You'd have to keep your balance and there's a certain degree of skinniness one has to maintain before the fat starts getting in the way.

Plus not all shots are lethal, less so with guns, in hunting and if the prey in question went ahead and split while it's been shot, there's this kind of unsaid obligation to follow it until you can put it out it's misery and tag it and that takes a lot of walking that I don't see being good on a pregnant woman at all.

But besides that, if she doesn't fall (which is easy in wooded areas) and if she's really willing to move around a lot even with that extra weight then more power to her I guess. That's some dedication to a hobby.

Although if she was my girl I'd try to discourage her from doing it until she's no longer pregnant.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-09-16 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Awww libertard sentiment! It's like a 10 year old wrote a political thesis with crayon and put it on the fridge and said "no one can tell me what to do" and people ate it up like it was Descartes... /sigh. You're dead wrong. You CAN be told what to do and what not to do. That is the entire point of the rule of law. If you don't respect the rule of law, then you will be at best incarcerated, and at worst, put to death (or imprisoned for life, but I'd rather they just hang people in that position). Law is what allows us to all live together and it is what affords us at least the barest vestige of personal right and dignities.

Make no mistake - you have NO rights. Not unless they are GIVEN to you. Don't think so? Without a constitution, a government, or an armed force to protect those granted rights, NOTHING, stands in the way of me, or anyone else from taking what you "think" is yours away from you. No man is an island.
    You missed a rather important word in my post. Also, there's no need to call people political labels, that's mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    nobody has a say in what any adult can legally do, regardless of what condition they're in.

Quote Originally Posted by solshine2510 View Post
    It is not ok to hunt, at any time or state. Unless you only can eat what you hunt.
    But factory farms are Ok?