Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    As someone who beat the Dark Aeons and Penance, CTB is a joke when it comes to strategy. It mostly boils down to Auto-Haste + Quick Hit, with Quick Pockets or Use thrown in when needed. I had a different strat for beating Penance than most peoples' guides, which involved actually using Dispel to remove the Armor/Mental Break phase 2 would bring in, but I was still able to control the flow of battle by dismantling each hand before it had a turn then beating down Penance himself. As far as the "hardest boss in FF history," I agree. One wrong turn and it could set you back or even wipe the party. If you have a firm strategy in mind and execute it, though, it's pretty easy.

Of course, I could just prefer ATB.
    Ok, so after explaining you had an optimal default strategy, you go on to explain you'd figured out an alternative strategy to beating a very hard boss then stating that you have to have an excellent strategy and have to execute it to beat the hardest boss.

So, apart from strategizing the entire game, it's really easy when you know what to do and have already worked out the strategy, or as you infer, have read someone else's strategy first?

Also, feel free to explain how ATB was more complex, because it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Ok, so after explaining you had an optimal default strategy, you go on to explain you'd figured out an alternative strategy to beating a very hard boss then stating that you have to have an excellent strategy and have to execute it to beat the hardest boss.

So, apart from strategizing the entire game, it's really easy when you know what to do and have already worked out the strategy, or as you infer, have read someone else's strategy first?

Also, feel free to explain how ATB was more complex, because it wasn't.
    The optimal default strat is Tidus/Wakka/Rikku using Quick Hits and reviving party members with Auto-Phoenix. The only issue with that is the attack drains mana, so you'd also have to Quick Pocket for mana, and items normally can't break the healing limit. However, I don't like Wakka, I like Auron. I then tailored my strategy around having Auron in the party (minus Attack Reels, which aren't really needed anyway) and using Mana Tablets to remove the MP cost on abilities so the mana burn didn't hurt me as badly. The issue then was the Breaks, which I had to remove with Dispel, and considering that spells have a longer delay than Quick Hit/Quick Pocket/Use, and Salts didn't remove Breaks, I had to figure that into my strat. You do have to have a pretty solid strategy to beat that boss, and I inferred with "one wrong turn" that not having a good plan will cause your party to wipe. I actually attempted the boss a few time without strats and made it halfway through phase 2, but I wiped due to Break. I then referenced guides with strats differing from mine (due to different characters), who also stated how they got around the issue (Auto Phoenix). I decided that was a waste and formed my own strat of manually Dispelling Breaks and it worked out for me.

ATB is more complex because of Active. Having the fight continue to flow while in menus really gives more urgency, especially in harder fights. FFD actually has phase changes and enrage timers, and I really enjoyed playing that in Active as opposed to Wait.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    ATB is more complex because of Active. Having the fight continue to flow while in menus really gives more urgency, especially in harder fights. FFD actually has phase changes and enrage timers, and I really enjoyed playing that in Active as opposed to Wait.
    That doesn't actually add anything to complexity. It simply requires faster reactions.

Honestly as everyone said..10 is definitely a must play my only real complaint is the difficulty seriously drops down once you get to end game (unless you have international..then you have the optional bosses which can be pretty tough at times)

X-2 is campy and can give you closure to 10's story but not for everyone...I would suggest playing it for at least an hour or 2 to get things rolling and if you don't completely hate it keep going ...not to mention the optional bosses (FUCK YOU CHAC) are amazing

12.....I hear amazing things about the story but the battle system literally put me to sleep...I'm not even kidding I fell asleep playing and gained 3 levels before I finally woke up.....if you can manage to get the international version of it I would HIGHLY suggest it ..otherwise don't take my word for 12

13.....honestly has a decent battle system that really keeps you on your toes sometimes..but like 10 once your team gets to a certain point the difficulty drops DRAMATICALLY (coughcoughvanille)..though the story is one to be desired and ..I'd say most of the party members you get in this game are just horrendously annoying and poorly written I beat 13 and gave 13-2 and 13-3 a shot but really wern't worth it in my eye.

If you think it's the most 'noobified' system in the FF games, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
    Considering I have finished every 3d FF and most of the 2d ones and it is by far the easiest piece of garbage in the series I think I do. Try again.

Your explanation of XIIIs battle system showed you never made it far in the game at all. There is a reason XIII was voted the hardest FF in Japan. BTW that "lightning special" aka army of one is garbage and there is 0 point in every using it.

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't actually add anything to complexity. It simply requires faster reactions.
    Needing to react faster doesn't make games harder?

Wow.

My fav will probably always be FF9 followed by FF12 both had such wonderful worlds, though i completed 10 i never got attached to it like some. 12 had awesome summons and rabbit girls/bathier and you can make the combat more interactive if you just don't over do it on gambits. I think my fav part of 12 though was the way you unlocked the weapons and skills when leveling up ^^

Ignore 13 and all it's incarnations though, was pretty and cinematic's were beautiful but the story was bad the dialog was pure cringe worthy at times and in general i just disliked lightnings character.
    Last edited by Miyani; 2014-09-17 at 04:19 AM.

Final Fantasy X is a good game. Blitz Ball is fun as hell. Stop there though. X-2 is targeted at teenage boys and girls, dont tell me im wrong. 12 and 13 are just pretty to look at.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFX HD remaster is worth a play
    FFXII doesn't feel traditional at all, but it's still a very viable game

There are people who like FFXIII...but there are reasons the opinion is so divided

10+ Year Old Account
    Play FFX, skip FFXII unless you are willing to put up with a single player game that feels like they tried to cram an MMO inside.

As for FFXIII, Its extremely linear with character writing being nothing to write home about, FXIII-2 is also similar as having a completely idiotic plot, FXIII-3 is surprisingly actually a decent game, would recommend LR even if you skip the earlier two.

FFX and FFXII are well worth playing. They both have a great story and in FFXII's case it's a lot more mature than past titles as it deals with a lot of intrigue rather than angst. They're both fairly in-depth with plenty to do and see. FFXIII on the other hand, however, is very linear and doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy title.

FFX is absolutely amazing, one of the best of the whole series. FFXII is meh, but still great if for FF fans to play through at least once.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFX: Great Game, my first Final Fantasy definitely worth it. really good combat System, great Music and likeable characters

FFX-2: if you like the Story, i personally didnt like the gameplay

FFXII: well, i liked the Story, but gameplaywise it didnt feel good using an online-like battle system in an offline Environment.

FFXIII: i liked the Story, the paradigm System was slow, and the fact that it was an instant lose if your current Party leader dies was a bit stupid but otherwise i thought it was great (except for the endgame Content)

FFXIII-2: great Story and they greatly improved the combat (and paradigm) System. i liked the time paradox stuff so i dont care about it making zero sense :P

Lightning Returns: great game, started at normal difficulty and regretted it.. was pretty hard the first few (ingame) days, but after getting over a certain Point it went smoothly

please pardon my english

10+ Year Old Account
    FF10 yes, the rest no.

FF10 - Great game, good story, enjoyable all around.
    FF12 - Awesome, but requires a lot of snooping around walkthroughs as there is a RIDICULOUS amount of content in the game besides the main story and the game does a bad job letting you know about it. Very, very enjoyable once you've spent some time and learnt the ins and outs of it all.
    FF13 - This game gets a lot of hate, but it's honestly one of my favorites. People hate on it for being linear, the characters etc, but tbh it's very similar to FF10 in that regard. If you really liked FF10 I don't see how you could hate FF13. It also has (IMO) the best turn-based combat system in the series.

FF13-2 and 3.. never played them. I loved 13, but i didn't really like the idea of them forcibly continuing a story that really by all rights was completely resolved the first time around. Dislike the concept, same as I disliked ff10-2. Making a direct sequel to a game with pretty much no loose ends to go on = a no no in my book. Probably still good games though, just not personally interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Considering I have finished every 3d FF and most of the 2d ones and it is by far the easiest piece of garbage in the series I think I do. Try again.
    Can't win current argument, shift the goal posts to a difficulty argument?

There is a reason XIII was voted the hardest FF in Japan.
    Citation needed. Though I've heard FFXIII-3 is considered pretty hard, I have no interest in playing -2 or -3.

BTW that "lightning special" aka army of one is garbage and there is 0 point in every using it.
    Rav/Rav/Rav Army of One would like a word with you. Get to 999% asap for ridiculously high chain and stagger damage possibilities.

Needing to react faster doesn't make games harder?

Wow.
    Faster=/=complexity.

FFX and FFX2 are worth picking up. FF11 is an MMO and FF12 is a piece of shit. FF13 was ok, FF13-2 was meh and FF13-3 felt grindy and convoluted story but still good.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

FFXII is my favorite game of all time. It puts the rest of the FF games to shame with an AMAZING combat system and a really great story.

The rest of the FF game are OK but they can get REALLY boring REALLY fast.

Can't win current argument, shift the goal posts to a difficulty argument?
    The ENTIRE argument has been about difficulty.

Citation needed. Though I've heard FFXIII-3 is considered pretty hard, I have no interest in playing -2 or -3.
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/news23vip/archives/2352668.html

Rav/Rav/Rav Army of One would like a word with you. Get to 999% asap for ridiculously high chain and stagger damage possibilities.
    You can stagger it faster by using proper rav abilities and not army of one which is just an animation time sink. Your lack of knowledge of the XIII battle system is showing.

Faster=/=complexity.
    The game you're hyping up as about as much complexity as a mario game. Flat out if you where the proper level and didn't one shot every boss in X it was your first rpg or you're bad at rpgs.

If you can deal with super gay main character and amazingly retarded design of FFX, then you should definitely try it.
    FFX-2 is a horrible game, I wouldn't suggest it and I'm ashamed that I wasted money on it long ago, when it was released...
    Can't say anything about FFXII, downloaded it once to play with emulator. Played a bit. Another horrible gay main hero ruined it for me from a get-go, so I just deleted it.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFX, personally i hated that game because of the characters but it's up to you. Gameplay wise i wasn't such a fan of it either. i prefer the classic ATB.
    FFXII, it had a lot of variety and if you can ignore Vaan as the main character then it's a pretty solid game.
    FFXIII, if i speak my opinion off this game i'll most likely be burned on a stake.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!