Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The ENTIRE argument has been about difficulty.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/news23vip/archives/2352668.html
    Is that actually a bunch of anonymous quotes from 2chan you linked?

You can stagger it faster by using proper rav abilities and not army of one which is just an animation time sink. Your lack of knowledge of the XIII battle system is showing.
    Well, I beat FFXIII apparently lacking understanding of the battle system. Is that really a difficult game then? After all, none of the fights are genuinely hard, the game just forces you to figure out which shifts to use when to proceed. Hell, I used Army of One to build stagger on Orphan's final form, switching between relentless assault then aggression and combat clinic to heal up.

If your suggestion that FFXIII is super difficult is based on the fact that most people see the game over screen a lot, it's because the retry system was clearly designed that way for people to learn the fights. Kind of like Dark Souls - dying is a learning mechanism, not a fail state. As most people come to realise, Dark Souls isn't actually as hard as people suggest, it's more about understanding the game and how things work.

The game you're hyping up as about as much complexity as a mario game. Flat out if you where the proper level and didn't one shot every boss in X it was your first rpg or you're bad at rpgs.
    Yet even FF veterans constantly pull up Seymour Flux and Yuna as two of the hardest boss fights ever.

Seymour Flux and Yunalesca hard? LOL. Seymour Flux has one dangerous move that he should only use once at the end of the fight that is highly predictable and any rpg veteran should know it's coming based on what is happening in the fight. If you died to that 1 shot without preparing for it, the jokes on you. Not to mention if you're really that bad, this fight can be completely trivialized by an aeon overdrive chain.

Yunalesca is a joke if you have Yuna leveled to Holy(which if you don't you've been skipping fight pretty hardcore). Leave everyone as zombies and spam Holy on her, res as needed, SUCH A HARD FIGHT.

Le me guess you're going to state BFA next? A fight that can be done extremely underleveled very easy because it is completely trivialized by casting slow on the Pagodas?

At least bring up some optional bosses you at least have to grind for. The story bosses are the easiest in the series by a country mile.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-09-17 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Is that actually a bunch of anonymous quotes from 2chan you linked?

Well, I beat FFXIII apparently lacking understanding of the battle system. Is that really a difficult game then? After all, none of the fights are genuinely hard, the game just forces you to figure out which shifts to use when to proceed. Hell, I used Army of One to build stagger on Orphan's final form, switching between relentless assault then aggression and combat clinic to heal up.

If your suggestion that FFXIII is super difficult is based on the fact that most people see the game over screen a lot, it's because the retry system was clearly designed that way for people to learn the fights. Kind of like Dark Souls - dying is a learning mechanism, not a fail state. As most people come to realise, Dark Souls isn't actually as hard as people suggest, it's more about understanding the game and how things work.

Yet even FF veterans constantly pull up Seymour Flux and Yuna as two of the hardest boss fights ever.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that 13 is super difficult, but the skill cap is actually pretty big. I learned this when I watched a speedrun of it, and realized that I was pretty much doing everything wrong, despite being an RPG veteran and beating the game.

I'd argue that in FF10, on your first time through it's pretty easy to get about 90% effectiveness out of most characters, with Rikku being the only one that really throws people off. In 13 I think most people only get about 30% effectiveness out of their characters. This is partly because the game doesn't explain role bonuses and conditional modifiers.

And no, you're not really supposed to die in 13. If you're dying a lot, you're either severely underleveled or you're playing badly. It has almost nothing to do with learning the fights.

Neither of those fights were difficult. They had an easily exploitable gimmick, and one could even be beaten by cheesing Holy+Copycat. Hell, you could probably do that to Flux, too, if you didn't smack him for 99999 to end the fight.

- - - Updated - - -

At least bring up some optional bosses you at least have to grind for. The story bosses are the easiest in the series by a country mile.
    I went over the Penance fight, but that's more of a stat check and "can you count to 6?" as far as mechanics go.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Lyese View Post
    Neither of those fights were difficult. They had an easily exploitable gimmick, and one could even be beaten by cheesing Holy+Copycat. Hell, you could probably do that to Flux, too, if you didn't smack him for 99999 to end the fight.
    The easiest cheese to pull off was Trio of 9999 and spamming use items that hit multiple times. Speedruns are nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    The easiest cheese to pull off was Trio of 9999 and spamming use items that hit multiple times. Speedruns are nifty.
    I didn't know many Mixes until I replayed the game in HD, so my cheese wasn't as strong.

Deleted
    I love FFX, story, combat & characters are all really good.

FFX-2 I cringed when I played this. Seemed just like a fan service for otakus(Im not hating). Story is quite bad and the missions I find annoying, combat is pretty good though, thats about it.

FFXII is one of the worst FF IMO. Only thing I like about it is the open world. The story and characters are ZzZz and the gambit system made it easy mode. After 1/3 of the game I didnt do a single thing. Didnt push a button at the last boss.

FFXIII is ok. I actually like the characters and the character development. Story is so so & its pretty much a tunnel.

FFXIII-2 is also, so so/ok. I dont like that they throw pokemon in it and Im split about the time traveling.

FFXIII Lightning Returns is pretty much the worst FF IMO. Story is horrible (lol at the messiah/religious thing), only 1 person in your "group" so that sucks, Lightning is really annoying in this one and I actually liked her in the first one.
    You lvl by doing quests, disappointed that it were only 2 CGI scenes (I love that shit), at the start and the end. Last boss was a lot of fun for me though as I were pretty undergeared so it was tight, but man the ending... they took that to another lvl and not in the good way.

horrible english
    Last edited by mmocbc4c51efd3; 2014-09-17 at 10:42 PM.

Seymour Flux and Yunalesca hard? LOL. Seymour Flux has one dangerous move that he should only use once at the end of the fight that is highly predictable and any rpg veteran should know it's coming based on what is happening in the fight. If you died to that 1 shot without preparing for it, the jokes on you. Not to mention if you're really that bad, this fight can be completely trivialized by an aeon overdrive chain.

Yunalesca is a joke if you have Yuna leveled to Holy(which if you don't you've been skipping fight pretty hardcore). Leave everyone as zombies and spam Holy on her, res as needed, SUCH A HARD FIGHT.

Le me guess you're going to state BFA next? A fight that can be done extremely underleveled very easy because it is completely trivialized by casting slow on the Pagodas?

Or, you could just look up some of the actually voted hardest boss lists from Final Fantasy games and get a vague idea of what other people actually think?

Or, you could just look up some of the actually voted hardest boss lists from Final Fantasy games and get a vague idea of what other people actually think?
    I'm 95% sure story bosses don't make the cut, as Penance/Omega Weapon/Kaiser Dragon often eclipse even the final bosses, even more for mid bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    X is absolutely worth playing. X-2 is fun, and continues the story, but not everyone really liked it. I loved it so I would recommend but keep in mind it wasn't super well received among fans.

XII took some getting use to, I didn't like it at first, but eventually came to love it.

XIII I wanted to love, I really did. As an avid FF fan I was so upset when I just couldn't get into it. Same with the sequel, hopefully one day I can get into.

I enjoyed X. Not the best FF game ever, but a fun game nonetheless.

Never played X-2.

XII I never beat. Got near the end and then just kinda...stopped playing it. Not a terrible game but I don't know, lost interest.

XIII is...okay. I kinda had to force myself to get through it and beat it.

Would you care to link some of these lists? I'm kind of curious to see them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    FFXII, it had a lot of variety and if you can ignore Vaan as the main character then it's a pretty solid game.
    ...well luckily FF12 ignored him too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of 10 through 13, 12 was my favorite. Ivalice has always been my FF world of choice, I love Tactics. 13 Is more story really than exploration, which kinda sucks, but it's still a good game with a solid ending. 13-2 is basically Chrono Trigger. I'm still waiting for a Lavos easter egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    FFXII is one of the worst FF IMO. Only thing I like about it is the open world. The story and characters are ZzZz and the gambit system made it easy mode. After 1/3 of the game I didnt do a single thing. Didnt push a button at the last boss.
    Actually it is among the best or you didn't play classic FFs (by which I mean 1-5). Story is great, it is simply not on railroads like in other FFs. Characters are fine, nothing like "I was 2nd best after Sephiroth". Gambits is nothing new, a lot of games had those under different name, look Lunar series, look PS IV. Gambits are simply more in-depth than macroses in those games.

And by last boss do you mean Undying or Yiazmat? And if to use gambits, most of optional Espers require their own approach.

FF XII is best out of FF10-13. It has big world, tons of sidequests, actual dungeons, in some of which you can get lost (mostly involves non-main storyline parts of dungeons). It has all the iconic things from FF series, except Tonberries. I kind of missed those green creepies in FF XII. It has all of FF 1-5 main bosses as optional bosses.

FF10 is OK, but it has the longest absolutely unskippable tutorial I ever saw in video game and then you follow the HUGE tunnel, spending only like 5% of time actively playing and 95% watching cutscenes. Tunnel ends only at latest part of the game. FF11 is MMO, didn't have time to give it a go, but from what I read, you can't do much in the game without grouping. FF13 isn't much RPG and doesn't really fit FF series, maybe as standalone game it is ok, btu not as part of FF series.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Out of 10 through 13, 12 was my favorite. Ivalice has always been my FF world of choice, I love Tactics. 13 Is more story really than exploration, which kinda sucks, but it's still a good game with a solid ending. 13-2 is basically Chrono Trigger. I'm still waiting for a Lavos easter egg.
    Ivalice in FFT != FFTA/A2/FF12, sadly. I would've enjoyed more fleshing out of FFT, as it's my favorite non-numbered of the series. Honestly, that's probably why I liked 13-2 better than 13 or LR. I liked Chrono Trigger, lol.

If I had to make a quick dirty list, I'd say:
    1.FF6
    2.FFT
    3.FF4
    4.FF10
    5.FF14/1 if you don't count mmos.

I do like 10 (and it has the advantage of having a HD re-release on Vita and PS3). I do find the leveling system annoying tho, espically as its hard to get a feel for how strong each character is versus each other. If I had levels, I could easily tell, but given you get small boosts of stats and such every now and then? IMO, it's harder to feel the power up as you move around the sphere grid.

12...I didn't really like how it seemed to want to play like an MMO and wanted to automate combat, I'd really rather have a proper turned based menu driven battle system.

13...no idea, SpoonyOne's review put me off wanting to play this.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I do like 10 (and it has the advantage of having a HD re-release on Vita and PS3). I do find the leveling system annoying tho, espically as its hard to get a feel for how strong each character is versus each other. If I had levels, I could easily tell, but given you get small boosts of stats and such every now and then? IMO, it's harder to feel the power up as you move around the sphere grid.

12...I didn't really like how it seemed to want to play like an MMO and wanted to automate combat, I'd really rather have a proper turned based menu driven battle system.

13...no idea, SpoonyOne's review put me off wanting to play this.
    Spooney's review is cancer. I've watched it and played the game, and he's just plain wrong about at least half the shit he brings up. He basically pulls plot holes out of thin air, because the internet eats that shit up.

My only real complaint about the game is that there's no character progression for the first hour or two, then the game gets fun.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm an avid Square and Final Fantasy fan, and I've played almost all the pre-PS2 games, in both their US and JP versions. However, I stopped playing after FFIX, largely because at the time I couldn't afford a PS2 at the time, and got sidetracked by many other games as well.

I'm wondering if FFX, XII, and XIII are worth it (I'm not bothering with XI and XIV since... online mmo... can't really 'finish')

What about the other spinoffs as well? (X-2, XIII-2, XIII-LR)
    FFX most definitely, I would rate it up there with the best of Jrpgs. 12 and 13 well they are a different story.

12 is "ok", the Gambit system is fairly annoying and clunky. 13 is just shit covered in shit with shit frosting. Many people say "It gets better about 20hrs in" to which I say if it takes 20hrs to be good it isn't worth the time.