Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I started with Card Captor, then Tenchi, then Love Hina. After that I started hanging out at Borders and reading manga. Usually I'll introduce my gamer friends into anime with SAO and if they like it I usually have them watch the Fate/Kaleids and Paprika. I know those are a sharp turn from SAO but the friends I have done this with all talk about anime more than video games with me now, which suits me just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    so tell me this than. why does he like SAO and AoT? i mean AoT was decent enough, not great, but there has been plenty of anime in the past 2-3 years that are of better overall quality than those two.

for example: Zetsuen No Tempest.
    Better quality how exactly? You can't really compare a show like AoT to a show like Aldnoah Zero for example. They are different genres and thus have different criteria for what makes them "good."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    Also if you are strictly talking about anime adaptations here then Bleach already ended in early 2012, but it might get more seasons later on when there is enough material to adapt.
    Bleach ended indefinitely. Really hope it continues the anime, it's one of my favourites.
    Currently it seems Sword Art Online will have a pretty good future with multiple seasons ahead of it. Log Horizon also has a manga, and since LH is currently my favourite anime I really hope it will go on for a long time.

A lot of animes with great PLOT will surely come in the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Healer View Post
    Bleach ended indefinitely. Really hope it continues the anime, it's one of my favourites.
    Currently it seems Sword Art Online will have a pretty good future with multiple seasons ahead of it. Log Horizon also has a manga, and since LH is currently my favourite anime I really hope it will go on for a long time.
    LH is based on a Light Novel, not a Manga. as for SAO it has, as of right now, maybe 1 season ahead of it after this one. nothing else has been written.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Better quality how exactly? You can't really compare a show like AoT to a show like Aldnoah Zero for example. They are different genres and thus have different criteria for what makes them "good."
    ZnT sticks to the story, has characters who are actually interesting, develops those characters, and it has really great music to boot. the action is good, despite there not being a bunch of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    LH is based on a Light Novel, not a Manga. as for SAO it has, as of right now, maybe 1 season ahead of it after this one. nothing else has been written.

- - - Updated - - -

ZnT sticks to the story, has characters who are actually interesting, develops those characters, and it has really great music to boot. the action is good, despite there not being a bunch of it.
    I think he means log horizon also has a couple of off shoot manga series available to read, these give more detail on the other guilds -
    -Log Horizon - Honey Moon Logs
    -Log Horizon - Nishikaze no Ryodan
    -Log Horizon - Nyanta Hanchou Shiawase no Recipe

Nishikaze being the best since it tells you who was the first person to die in game and get resurrected in the cathedral.

I quite like the art style for Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis but don't like the main character design/though demon woman is nice.
    Here's hoping Trinity seven sticks closely to the manga since it's one of my fav manga series with one of the best protagonists (voiced by kirito SAO/ Sora no game no life Voice Actor)

10+ Year Old Account
    And long running series have character development. The only difference is that it is more gradual. You can't tell a grand and epic story in just 12 or 25 episodes.
    I can't imagine you have watched a whole lot of different anime then. There are so many fantastic anime that are 12-13 episodes or 24-26 that have amazing characters and/or epic stories!

To name a few:

Baccano!
    Spice and Wolf
    Black Lagoon
    Noragami
    Durarara!!!
    Eden of The East
    Shiki
    Fate/Zero
    Last Exile
    Shinsekai Yori

I could go on.

Long running shows have more time with certain characters but a lot of them lack "real" character development especially the deep stuff that shorter shows provide, especially when you have less time with the characters and story. Anyone who thinks longer shows have better character development hasn't seen a lot of anime or in my opinion naive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    I can't imagine you have watched a whole lot of different anime then. There are so many fantastic anime that are 12-13 episodes or 24-26 that have amazing characters and/or epic stories!

To name a few:

Baccano!
    Spice and Wolf
    Black Lagoon
    Noragami
    Durarara!!!
    Eden of The East
    Shiki
    Fate/Zero
    Last Exile
    Shinsekai Yori

I could go on.

Long running shows have more time with certain characters but a lot of them lack "real" character development especially the deep stuff that shorter shows provide, especially when you have less time with the characters and story. Anyone who thinks longer shows have better character development hasn't seen a lot of anime or in my opinion naive.
    While I definitely haven't watched as much anime as some of the people on MMO-Champ I've watched quite a bit. Although I suppose I worded my post incorrectly. Some of the anime you listed especially Fate/Zero do have epic stories, but they never feel like they are taking you on a journey like One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, or The Last Airbender accomplish.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "real" character development.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I definitely haven't watched as much anime as some of the people on MMO-Champ I've watched quite a bit. .

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "real" character development.
    Some times it's Quality > Quantity. But a large portion of different types helps as well. Have you seen 100+ series at least?

What I mean by real is watch a character go through real change/growth/development like you would expect someone to go through in that situation. What happens in the big 3 and by extension a lot of the times in long running shoenen is not really what I consider to be real development. Its more just the character overcoming something with the help of friendship or in some cases, just really bad writing.

An example of this is Sakura's enduring feelings for Sasuke in Naruto and how she handled that entire situation. No matter how many times he trys to kill her or tells her to fuck off she can't stop professing her unending love for him, for no reason... Their development is usually false or not believable to what the situation is etc.
    Last edited by Kaitenx; 2014-10-13 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    Some times it's Quality > Quantity. But a large portion of different types helps as well. Have you seen 100+ series at least?

What I mean by real is watch a character go through real change/growth/development like you would expect someone to go through in that situation. What happens in the big 3 and by extension a lot of the times in long running shoenen is not really what I consider to be real development. Its more just the character overcoming something with the help of friendship or in some cases, just really bad writing.

An example of this is Sakura's enduring feelings for Sasuke in Naruto and how she handled that entire situation. No matter how many times he trys to kill her or tells her to fuck off she can't stop professing her unending love for him, for no reason... Their development is usually false or not believable to what the situation is etc.
    I have no idea how many series I've watch, but I'd imagine it's somewhere around 40. The anime I watch I usually love, but I don't really bother with slice of life anime or harem type shows.

Also, you're choosing on of the worst examples from Naruto. I think everyone realizes how ridiculous she is, but if you watch the show lately she is a lot less head over heels for him and realizes how fucked up he is. If you want good and realistic character development then take One Piece for example. When Ace dies and Luffy gets taken from Marineford he goes absolutely berserk over failing to save his brother. Jinbe, his friend has to make him realize that he still has people to live for and he helps him come to terms with Ace's death. Luffy's bond with his crew grows and he is able to grow as a character. Obviously it is a bit exaggerated due to the world they live in, but it is something that I could see happening in the real world.

Do long running shounen have issues? Fuck yeah they do. Slow pacing, fillers, etc. all bog these shows down and I won't deny that, but on the same hand shorter anime have issues with not having enough time to explore the potential of the series or even worse when they have a "go read the manga" ending which I despise and is one of the reasons I hold off on watching many new anime that are released.

My problem lies with people championing the death of long running anime. If you don't like them then don't watch them. Obviously I'm not saying you specifically feel or act this way, but many posters in this thread have expressed this opinion.