Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Anime] What does the future hold?

I started thinking about this today after watching Ep 147 of Hunter x Hunter and realizing that HxH will be ending in 1 more episode. It got me thinking what will the future of anime and manga be? HxH is ending for probably a couple years or more, Naruto is on the last arc and will probably end within a year or so, Bleach is on it's last arc as well (I think. I don't really watch Bleach), the only other long running anime that I can think of that will be around within a year or two will be One Piece (which will be around for a long time still) and Fairy Tail which just started back up several months ago.

I began to think about some popular new anime that could take the spot and it seems like Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, and Akame Ga Kill are the most likely candidates. The issue is that Tokyo Ghoul is ending this Thursday, and Attack on Titan and Akame Ga Kill probably won't go over 100 episodes if I had to guess.

Do you think this marks the end of long running Shounen series? We will be seeing shorter 12-25 episode Anime taking over? Or will we see a new series emerge? I'm kinda excited to be honest. I'm pretty young so I never go to see the start of shows like One Piece or Bleach, although I did catch Naruto when it first came on Toonami. Hopefully, we'll see a new Shounen series that will shake things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll continue on like it always had. Naruto's been running in WSJ since 1999, Bleach since 2001, so they are more than due to end. Shonen didn't stop when Dragon Ball ended in 1995, it certainly won't stop when Nardo and Bleach finally end. One Piece will still be going strong, and there are other WSJ titles they'll likely be marketting such as Toriko.

On that note, holy shit Detective Conan needs to end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Aldnoah.Zero is definitely the best anime this season, though if you are looking for something "endless" i don't think it has teh potential for that route.

Might get another season of tokyo ghoul depending on where it finishes but the manga for the series just ended last week =[ now just waiting to hear if there will be a sequel. There's lots of manga and light novels available to be made into long running anime or even anime that has come out in the past and ready to be remade. Would love to see deadman wonderland remade and not butchered like it was in the anime ( actually stick to the damn original story line) even has enough content to be made into a decent length anime. Problem now is actually getting the studios to commit to a long term series since they are a high risk investment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully we won't get any more long running shounen because they end up being filled with filler and just ruining themselves with bad writing and plot holes. There are a lot more great anime out there that need the attention that these shounen ones get.

more moe bullshit.

Deleted
    Who knows, if someone starts writing another really popular weekly shounen series then I do think that it will get a long adaptation after running for a few years.

The problem with AoT and AgK is they are monthly series, and Tokyo Ghoul already had this ending/break planned out even before it got adapted into anime. Hunter x Hunter could keep on going if the author didn't take random hiatuses (even for many years) every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    Who knows, if someone starts writing another really popular weekly shounen series then I do think that it will get a long adaptation after running for a few years.

The problem with AoT and AgK is they are monthly series, and Tokyo Ghoul already had this ending/break planned out even before it got adapted into anime. Hunter x Hunter could keep on going if the author didn't take random hiatuses (even for many years) every now and then.
    I think the author for HxH has health issues, and is why he takes "random breaks"

Deleted
    Also if you are strictly talking about anime adaptations here then Bleach already ended in early 2012, but it might get more seasons later on when there is enough material to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    What does the future hold?
    Death and taxes.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    I think the author for HxH has health issues, and is why he takes "random breaks"
    The latest hiatus which is going on right now has been confirmed to be a health issue, something related to his back if I remember correctly.

15+ Year Old Account
    honestly, and personal opinion is personal, but i think endless shows just need to be scrapped altogether. with the high number of episodes they make it incredibly hard for a new player to get into.

10+ Year Old Account
    Long running shounens need to die they are the cancer of the anime world, not to mention that they are always extremely poor quality compared to their manga counterparts and are nothing but horribly animated garbage just to make some quick cash off of edgy teens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shounen are a large part of the industry but hardly the core of it. Even still, we're only really losing Naruto and Bleach, there's still plenty of other high popular shounen manga releasing on a regular basis. Also, considering how much of a juggernaut One Piece alone is even when compared to Naruto and Bleach, it's hardly anything to worry about. Shounen is a profitable genre with an easy and consistent target demographic that has seen many long running series start and end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    Hopefully we won't get any more long running shounen because they end up being filled with filler and just ruining themselves with bad writing and plot holes. There are a lot more great anime out there that need the attention that these shounen ones get.
    And without these large anime, anime wouldn't be nearly as large in the West. Just think about DBZ. DBZ may not be the most thought provoking show ever, but if it never existed I am certain that anime wouldn't be as popular in the US as it is now. Large Shonen anime are essential to get new people into the medium. It's much easier to suggest a show like Naruto to my friends to get them into it than it is to recommend a show like Tokyo Ghoul (not the best example but you get the idea.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    We don't need anymore endless shounen and we'd be better off with less of them. There are enough decent-good anime each season to keep you going without any problems.
    Not sure why you would want less Shounen anime. They bring in new anime fans and many of them are good for what they are. If you don't like them you could, I don't know, not watch them.

10+ Year Old Account
    The endless shounen are such an incredibly small portion of the anime industry in Japan, them ending won't affect anything.

At the least it will actually be a boon for the industry as those spots will open up for that market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Not sure why you would want less Shounen anime. They bring in new anime fans and many of them are good for what they are. If you don't like them you could, I don't know, not watch them.
    No they don't bring in new ANIME fans they bring in new shounen fanboys who will eat up anything the show shits out and will simply ignore all other types of anime that doesn't have 10 episode long fights with shitty animation and pacing and will label it "weebshit" or "show for perverts"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickop View Post
    No they don't bring in new ANIME fans they bring in new shounen fanboys who will eat up anything the show shits out and will simply ignore all other types of anime that doesn't have 10 episode long fights with shitty animation and pacing and will label it "weebshit" or "show for perverts"
    I started with shounen exclusively, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Sure, plenty of people get stuck at the entry level, but plenty of people also use them as a gateway.

15+ Year Old Account
    i don't have anything against shounen, i just don't like endless shounen as they tend to have lots of filler, too many episodes for newer anime fans to even consider starting the series, and in general just get to be repetitive.