Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeno View Post
    Slavery begets slavery. Yes.
    So the last two hundred years, have we become more or less slaves?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Two hundred? My sir, I think you mean the last ten thousand.

And yes. We have. There are more slaves in the world today than at the height of the slave trade. Either through slavery, "homes" for orphans, or corporate abuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that an increasingly smaller portion of humanity are viewed as property, the answer would be 'less'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What is taught is irrelevant to the subject of human nature. Humans do not function well in a situation where there are no restrictions on behavior.
    There has always been at least parental guidance of course. There is no such thing as absolute freedom, as that would mean spontaneous generation is true...

Deleted

And yes. We have. There are more slaves in the world today than at the height of the slave trade. Either through slavery, "homes" for orphans, or corporate abuse.
    It was to limit it. Are we talking total numbers or percentage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Given that an increasingly smaller portion of humanity are viewed as property, the answer would be 'less'.
    And the answer would be more, if we were talking absolute personal freedom. Yet that absolute personal freedom, often leads to other peoples slavery.

It was to limit it. Are we talking total numbers or percentage?
    Numbers. And no, it isn't because we have increased in population over the years. Slavery is practically outlawed in the entire world. "Practical Slavery" is what exists today. And it isn't limited to my examples either.

Deleted
    We are all truly free. There are no binds, no cuffs and no ball and chain to hold us down. We are a free people! We have social constructs and systems - as you have mentioned previously - which we choose conform by. However one does not need to. We have criminals, anarchists, rebels, activists, hackers and many more people who walk different - and in your terms - more free walks of life.

The reality of it all in my opinion is that we are all free and that being free doesn't mean jack shit until you are incarcerated. I reckon that in recent times its really more about living your life how you want it. Those people who are now the corporate masterminds aren't all people who have come from pound to be pound. Many were pennies and as the saying goes. Pennies make pounds - well with enough drive they do.

Well shit, get your ass to the forest! Hurry, before the masters find you!

I think everyone here who thinks they are a slave should go trade places with any of the thousands of people across the world who are actual slaves for a few months then switch back to your current life and tell us if you still think you are a slave

Quote Originally Posted by Renosance View Post
    We are all truly free. There are no binds, no cuffs and no ball and chain to hold us down. We are a free people! We have social constructs and systems - as you have mentioned previously - which conform by. However one does not need to. We have criminals, anarchists, rebels, activists, hackers and many more people who walk different - and in your terms - more free walks of life.

The reality of it all in my opinion is that we are all free and that being free doesn't mean jack shit until you are incarcerated. I reckon that in recent times its really more about living your life how you want it. Those people who are now the corporate masterminds aren't all people who have come from pound to be pound. Many were pennies and as the saying goes. Pennies make pounds - well with enough drive they do.
    We aren't even close to being free. Unless you see slavery only as physical bondage. And that's a legitimate belief.

Deleted
    We aren't even close to being free. Unless you see slavery only as physical bondage. And that's a legitimate belief.
    How not? If you are not satisfied with your current life what holds you from changing it? You have more options than you think if you believe that currently you are a slave.

Deleted
    Numbers. And no, it isn't because we have increased in population over the years. Slavery is practically outlawed in the entire world. "Practical Slavery" is what exists today. And it isn't limited to my examples either.
    And what does "practical slavery" mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    I think everyone here who thinks they are a slave should go trade places with any of the thousands of people across the world who are actual slaves for a few months then switch back to your current life and tell us if you still think you are a slave
    If you think that the only slaves that exist are not in developed "democracies" then you need to reevaluate your definition of slavery.

- - - Updated - - -

And what does "practical slavery" mean exactly?
    To me, it means some imposing force that does not let you progress. It does not let you have more choices.

I guess you're a slave to the elements - gravity, the sun, the night, the weather, the limits of physics and chemistry, even habit, our own neuropsychology, etc. Not quite the same as slavery per se, but something a bit like it. You're chained to their wills until you can invent some way of breaking free (flying a spaceship to the moon), or are freed by someone else.

Deleted
    Shhhh my atoms will hear me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renosance View Post
    How not? If you are not satisfied with your current life what holds you from changing it? You have more options than you think if you believe that currently you are a slave.
    Just because you have choices does not mean you are not enslaved. American South Slaves had choices. Work, or go hungry. Work, or die.

Deleted
    To me, it means some imposing force that does not let you progress. It does not let you have more choices.
    Could that be because those choices would enslave others to gain your progress?

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    How many MBAs, physicians, engineers, are first generation? Over 50%. A lot of actors, singers, politicians (e.g. Obama), CEOs, etc are first generation as well.

Having successful parents helps a lot, no doubt. But it doesn't mean an individual can't overcome genetic and environmental factors to become successful.

Success is hard work, and more about attitude than being born into the right family.
    No money is a simple disadvantage.

I welcome a time when schools will be a mandatory boot camp for young children 8-9+. Forced to labor and learn without the bonds of home life to sustain them. Only going home on short vacations.

This way, it eliminates the disadvantage and advantages of certain children, in certain classes and groups. Abused children would be removed from abscessing homes, and spoiled brats will be removed from family connections. It evens the playing field for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the answer would be more, if we were talking absolute personal freedom. Yet that absolute personal freedom, often leads to other peoples slavery.
    I don't know what godforsaken part of the world you happen to come from, but slavery has a fairly specific definition that has nothing to do with the distinction between absolute and limited freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Yes but do you not have a choice in this world to cast a side the chains of social constructs and systems? Do you see no way of avoiding the grasp of money? I believe there are ways to live and be free from anything you just need to have the determination to find them. After all the American south slaves got their independence, though it took years, does that not demonstrate that with determination one can escape any binds?