Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/jap1xE0.gif

10/10.
    11/10, would ally in a Holy Grail War with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    I am loving that this adaptation is also acknowledging the events of Fate/Zero. It's nice to see it add more depth to certain events/characters.
    When DEEN released the first "adaptation" of F/SN, F/Z hadn't been released yet. DEEN's F/SN aired in '06; F/Z wasn't released (as a LN) until December of that year. F/Z didn't get it's anime adaptation until 2010.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Edgehog View Post

When DEEN released the first "adaptation" of F/SN, F/Z hadn't been released yet. DEEN's F/SN aired in '06; F/Z wasn't released (as a LN) until December of that year. F/Z didn't get it's anime adaptation until 2010.
    Well yeah I know that lol. When the VN was created F/Z hadn't been thought of. So I like with this adaptation of UBW that unlike the route in the VN is also including nods to what happened in F/Z. When you read through the VN you don't get all the nods to F/Z because it didn't exist back then. So its all just sweet little extra's now that its part of the canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitenx View Post
    Well yeah I know that lol. When the VN was created F/Z hadn't been thought of. So I like with this adaptation of UBW that unlike the route in the VN is also including nods to what happened in F/Z. When you read through the VN you don't get all the nods to F/Z because it didn't exist back then. So its all just sweet little extra's now that its part of the canon.
    What events from Fate/Zero? Everything in the first three episodes has been from the VN.

And if we're talking about nods, Fate/Zero liberally took stuff from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

Edit: There was the catalyst Tokiomi used in Episode 0, nothing else really ringing a bell.
    Last edited by Trubo; 2014-10-21 at 08:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    What events from Fate/Zero? Everything in the first three episodes has been from the VN.

And if we're talking about nods, Fate/Zero liberally took stuff from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

Edit: There was the catalyst Tokiomi used in Episode 0, nothing else really ringing a bell.
    Fate/Zero didn't take anything from F/HA, they were planned out in conjuncture so things would fit more nicely. Things like (F/HA) Saber being afraid of squid, Ilya talking about hunting for walnuts, Ilya explaining that Irisviel went with Kiritsugu, etc weren't "taken" from F/HA, they were details worked out to fit both F/HA and F/Z.

Fate/Zero didn't take anything from F/HA, they were planned out in conjuncture so things would fit more nicely. Things like (F/HA) Saber being afraid of squid, Ilya talking about hunting for walnuts, Ilya explaining that Irisviel went with Kiritsugu, etc weren't "taken" from F/HA, they were details worked out to fit both F/HA and F/Z.
    Is that so? I know F/Z was delayed with its release but by more than a whole year? Thought it was supposed to come out June-ish 2006, not December.

Edit: I know that F/HA has a F/Z poster in the background of one of the scenes but still, thought F/HA development was already underway before F/Z novels were being written.
    Last edited by Trubo; 2014-10-22 at 12:54 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Is that so? I know F/Z was delayed with its release but by more than a whole year? Thought it was supposed to come out June-ish 2006, not December.

Edit: I know that F/HA has a F/Z poster in the background of one of the scenes but still, thought F/HA development was already underway before F/Z novels were being written.
    Writers tend to plan their stories a while beforehand. While F/HA was in development, Urobuchi was undoubtedly working with Nasu and working out the details of what would happen in Zero. It's noted that Urobuchi came up with the mechanics behind (F/HA + F/Z) Angra Mainyu's "possession" during the ending of F/Z without being fully aware of how it was going to work in F/HA. So he was definitely working on it prior to F/HA's release.

And really, you can tell just by reading the scenes that they are obviously meant to connect with Zero. (F/HA + F/Z) Saber being afraid of squid? Oh, that's because of Caster's big Cthulhu thing. Shinji making a passing mention of an uncle we have never even heard about before? Oh, that's Uncle Kariya!

It's not like Urobuchi would have looked at these vague hints and used them to plan out a story, those vague hints were put there exactly because Nasu wanted to help set up Zero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fate/Zer was incredibly slow for me. Hopefully this has improved on the action.

Anyone else waiting for part 1 to end before watching it? Its incredibly gruelling trying to do so >.< I prefer marathon-ing anime

I'm looking forward to the Heavens Feel movie adaptation though, sort of wish that was the one getting made as a series

Fate/Stay Night UBW BD Boxset 1
    FINALLY GOT ANNOUNCED
    3/25/2015
    -Episodes 0-12
    -Extended episodes for all the things they had to cut out
    -New Takeuchi art for box
    -50 pages of interviews

Guaranteed to have English subs.

Start saving your money.

Might need to sell a kidney or arm.
    42,120 yen

So about $400 again
    Could be worse but still not bad.
    Here is what the box art will look like if anyone wants it.
    http://puu.sh/coMYQ/927b2dc35a.jpg
    Last edited by Yami; 2014-10-24 at 04:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Opted out of live stream again, but hype level is high. Berserker has some sweet dance moves.

ufotable Caladbolg (spoiler i guess)

Episode 3 of UBW is out now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finished the episode, damn. Best one yet.

Some really good anime original stuff there. Rin vs Illya was cool as shit. Berserker looked absolutely amazing as well, definitely gave the impression of one of the strongest heroic spirits.

My only negative about the episode was Berserker's roar... sounds so much better in the VN.

F/S:UBW Episode 3: Wow, they've changed things a /lot/ in this episode. VN and episode spoilers:

They show Berserker's range of combat off as being far more in-depth and overpowering than it comes across in the VN - where it seems more like he's just swinging at Saber really hard the whole time and pinning her that way. The hand-to-hand combat skills and moments like him using a ground launching uppercut with the sword, only to smash her back to the ground were great. Not only that, but the power of Saber is fully displayed finally, showing just how strong she is to be able to trade the variety of incoming blows and not die every single time he swings.

Ilya actively being shown as a powerful magi on her own and actually pinning Rin down in a full-blown offensive was brilliant: In the VN, it always felt like they should be trying to stop Ilya, as she seems harmless at that point, besides having an insane Servant. The entire nature of the combat brought out more personality and showed that Ilya, even on her own, is something that most people could not contend with.

Saber's unleashing of Excalibur: I'm genuinely surprised by that. I know in the VN she basically gains momentum for a brief moment in the graveyard and Berserker's knocked a tiny bit off balance, but I wasn't expecting to be shown Excalibur so soon, especially given that it blasts Berserker practically in half. WTF.

Archer's Caladbolg II shot - holy shit. Almost exactly as I'd imagined it from the VN. BUT, does that mean Berserker's been killed twice already? As Saber clearly killed him once and Archer's arrow should count as a second kill. WHAT EVEN IS GOING TO HAPPEN!?

So, we're past the VN intro finally. Now the show can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    F/S:UBW Episode 3: Wow, they've changed things a /lot/ in this episode. VN and episode spoilers:

They show Berserker's range of combat off as being far more in-depth and overpowering than it comes across in the VN - where it seems more like he's just swinging at Saber really hard the whole time and pinning her that way. The hand-to-hand combat skills and moments like him using a ground launching uppercut with the sword, only to smash her back to the ground were great. Not only that, but the power of Saber is fully displayed finally, showing just how strong she is to be able to trade the variety of incoming blows and not die every single time he swings.

Ilya actively being shown as a powerful magi on her own and actually pinning Rin down in a full-blown offensive was brilliant: In the VN, it always felt like they should be trying to stop Ilya, as she seems harmless at that point, besides having an insane Servant. The entire nature of the combat brought out more personality and showed that Ilya, even on her own, is something that most people could not contend with.

Saber's unleashing of Excalibur: I'm genuinely surprised by that. I know in the VN she basically gains momentum for a brief moment in the graveyard and Berserker's knocked a tiny bit off balance, but I wasn't expecting to be shown Excalibur so soon, especially given that it blasts Berserker practically in half. WTF.

Archer's Caladbolg II shot - holy shit. Almost exactly as I'd imagined it from the VN. BUT, does that mean Berserker's been killed twice already? As Saber clearly killed him once and Archer's arrow should count as a second kill. WHAT EVEN IS GOING TO HAPPEN!?

So, we're past the VN intro finally. Now the show can begin.
    VN and anime spoilers:

He'll be fine. His Noble Phantasm, [URL="http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/God_Hand"]God Hand[/URL], has him build up resistances to an attack that manages to take away one of his lives.

While he's already a superb Servant, God Hand really makes him nigh unkillable. Anything below an A-rank attack is completely negated (even if it's a C-rank attack that can be considered A-ranked, etc), and it's takes 12 of those to kill him. On top of that, he builds resistances to those that have taken a life once he regenerates. There are ways to overcome that, but once he's regenerated, those can't harm him again after he's regenerated.

As an example, in my story, Assassin takes away one of his lives by assassinating him using his Hidden Blades. Once he's regenerated, Assassin won't be able to kill him the same way. Saber using Excalibur could likely take more than one life at once, Archer does in the Fate route, Rin does the same using 4 of her jewels, Caliburn is used as well. Gilgamesh does it as well, though he goes a little overboard by just bombarding him with literally tons and tons of A-ranked weapons from the Gate of Babylon.

In retrospect, they kinda got screwed over in this War. In almost any other War, Berserker would probably have gotten them the Grail. It just sucks that there's a ton of people who could kill him in this one.

Anywho, after this battle, Ilya will help him regenerate those lives and they'll need to kill him 12 more times before he actually dies.

Heracles is one of the strongest Servants for a reason, and even without God Hand, I think he'd be in the top 3, if not top 5, of all Servants. He's exceptional as Berserker, but we don't get to see much because all of his abilities (bar God Hand) are sealed.

My reaction to this episode can largely be summed up with a ton of sentences all written in caps lock, but I'm at work and don't have time to write much more than that :x

Deleted
    Love the new extra scenes, especially Rin vs Illya, heck, loved all of it anyway!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    VN and episode spoilers:

VN: Even if Herc was incapable of regenerating lives, it's not like it would make a difference anyway. The only other thing he does this route is get rekt by Gilgamesh.

VN: Even if Herc was incapable of regenerating lives, it's not like it would make a difference anyway. The only other thing he does this route is get rekt by Gilgamesh.
    True, I can't wait to see that entire sequence animated. Hopefully with full flashback. However, I am curious as to the power balance and Excalibur's usage so early on still.

To steal some quotes from another forum:

Berserker is going shopping this weekend it seems

I like how Herk can volleyball serve for his own smash

Deleted
    I hope the show spends more time on character development. Both Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero are pretty terrible when it comes to bringing a proper story. The animation is one of the best on the market though. I still don't get why they put so much focus on the girl with invis sword (been 2 years since I watched it), she is the most boring character of them all and has fuck all going for her aside from wanting to chance her past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I hope the show spends more time on character development. Both Fate Stay Night and Fate Zero are pretty terrible when it comes to bringing a proper story. The animation is one of the best on the market though. I still don't get why they put so much focus on the girl with invis sword (been 2 years since I watched it), she is the most boring character of them all and has fuck all going for her aside from wanting to chance her past.
    Takeuchi and the fact that Saber prints money. But if you get the chance, just read the VN.