Poll: What do you Hate Most about Mainstream Games Nowadays?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    I get that it's "what do you hate most" but really I would have picked multiple options in this poll.

It's absurd for a game to be released with DLC - having stuff come out later is fine and all, as long as it's worth the money they are basically like expansions/mini expansions.

Obviously everyone is up in arms about corruption in gaming journalism.

DRM is ridiculous, and EA can suck it in this category. I can't play my legally purchased copies of certain games because I've had to reformat my computer/get new computers so often. This doesn't happen so much anymore, but think about how ridiculous that is.

But tbf games have always been expensive. Handheld games have always been 20-40, 50-60 on the high end, and console games have always been 40-60, 70-80 on the high end. Computer games are obviously anywhere from 5 to 100 dollars depending. That's actually kind of amazing when you consider that something shouldn't actually be the same price for this long, especially "in this economy", as we say.

Yeah, it's hard to choose just one. So few game companies interested in making games they want to play and are more about making games that are "safe".

Size and depth. There is no excuse for the game to be smaller and more watered down version of 10+ years old analogues. Graphics aren't everything.

Seeing as there is DRM in the poll, I stopped considering DRMd games entirely, those game don't even exist in my eyes.

Also mainstream games completely pushed off and murdered some sub-genres, like first-person view party-based CRPGs. MM X was the only one in like 10 years (if I am wrong, and there was some other such game on PCs after 2004, correct me), but sadly it got tainted by DRM (I hope Ubisoft has some heart and will release this game on GOG some day in the near future).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Achievements for trivial things.
    This is a really bad one, not the worst, but bad nonetheless. I got all of the achievement in The Walking Dead Season 2 just by simply beating the story... I never did anything out of play the game.

The worst has to be withholding and selling the finished game elements after release and calling them DLC. Follow by the release of horribly bugged games.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tutorials.

No question. I have only a mild tolerance for "help tips" too.
    I don't mind tutorials, at least for games with different control systems. But give us the option to skip them or turn them off FFS.

Another thing I don't like that wasn't in the polls, are long, unskippable, intros. SKYRIM!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    QTE during cutscenes; Just use gameplay or a cutscene, not a mix of both. 9/10 times I died in Tomb Raider was because I missed a QTE event.
    Oh god, the fact that Tomb Raider ended with a QTE pissed me off.

Great game, and then they ended it with a fucking QTE. Really? I couldn't just have a fucking firefight with the guy or something? And then maybe when I "kill" him, put it on a cinematic (WITHOUT a QTE) that shows Lara taking his gun, shooting him, and throwing him off the edge, or whatever it was she did.
    Putin khuliyo

no option for $50 day 1 season passes? thats my biggest complaint. Take Froza Horizon 2, $100 for game and season pass. Titanfall $60 for game $30 for season pass. DLC is getting out of hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    dumbing down games for masses, dlc

My real issue with MMOs in particular is they don't do enough to change the game. You've got the WoW clones (WoW, SWToR, Rift, etc.), the LOL, Smite, DOTA, etc. type games, the action RPGs like D3, and the Asian grindy games.

But there just aren't that many really fun, unique games out there. Maybe I'm just jaded from playing MMOs for 10+ years, but I feel like we're ready for a brand new type of game and they just aren't happening. There's a few I'm watching that are coming down the pipe (one being Camelot Unchained), but I'm still underwhelmed. Maybe I need to find a new genre.

Deleted
    I hate all of those equally as much except the trailers & paid reviews. If you look up shit about a game then expect to spoiled.

All others are something fairly new to the industry but are killing it slowly but surely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    My real issue with MMOs in particular is they don't do enough to change the game. You've got the WoW clones (WoW, SWToR, Rift, etc.), the LOL, Smite, DOTA, etc. type games, the action RPGs like D3, and the Asian grindy games.

But there just aren't that many really fun, unique games out there. Maybe I'm just jaded from playing MMOs for 10+ years, but I feel like we're ready for a brand new type of game and they just aren't happening. There's a few I'm watching that are coming down the pipe (one being Camelot Unchained), but I'm still underwhelmed. Maybe I need to find a new genre.
    People like you keep claiming they don't do enough, though if I ask you about a good concept you probably couldn't think of one. And I'm not talking about an idea that sounds cool, it must be realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bastila-Shan View Post
    - They are way way too easy
    - Too Casual friendly
    - Stupid Tutorials (Press W to run forward, Press Ctrl to Crouch, Press Space to Jump)
    - Content cut out of the Game to be sold back later as DLC
    - All that retarded Pre-Order Bullshit
    - Seasonpasses sold before the Game was even Released, without any Information what the DLC will be.
    - and much more!
    Borderlands is the only game that sells DLC that is worth it, you actually get more unique developed content. I can't think of a single other game that offers real worthwhile DLC.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Borderlands is the only game that sells DLC that is worth it, you actually get more unique developed content. I can't think of a single other game that offers real worthwhile DLC.
    You mean new characters, character skins, weapons, and quest areas? Quite a lot of games offer very similar or identical DLC's.

I'm going to go off the board and say.. Giant publishers that buy up great studios and ruin them.

Deleted
    Now that is probably the biggest crime of all in gaming...purely to eliminate the competition.

Another one that's off the board is lack of moddability - which again is to force people to buy extra content (DLC's) and to ensure planned obsolescence, although the technical skills required to make mods for newer games doesn't help in the slightest.
    Last edited by mmoc33659a5ac3; 2014-09-21 at 09:34 PM.