Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Screwing over students because of PWD accommodations... fair?

I have to keep this as vague as possible. I'm in a series of classes that are pretty intense. The one nice thing has been the professor records classes for us and posts them online so we can review the class. Recently, a complaint was lodged because there is a deaf student and because of his disability, is unable to benefit from these resources. (This is the rumor at least) As a result, our professor has had to suspend his recordings until they can come up with a reasonable accommodation for this one student.

This screws over 100+ other students who are now missing out on being able to review recordings.

My college also has a no recording policy so you cannot bring a personal recording device and record classes to review on your own.

Is it fair to screw over 100+ students because the college can't accommodate one person? Shouldn't it be the colleges responsibility to possible review these recordings and provide a transcript for this student rather than screwing over everyone else?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, because the institutions have to plan their classes/lectures to be accommodating to all students, including people with disabilties.

Your college has a dumb rule about no recording policy so that is one thing they can revise.

7+ Year Old Account
    At my college, such classes always offer up a job to create notes for people with disabilities, or to transcribe recordings such as those.

Easy solution that only requires a handful of small bills.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Someone could just type out what was said in the recording, problem solved. Also if I wanted a recording of a class that bad, I would just do it myself, regardless of the rules. No ones going to notice.

Deleted
    What Oreo said. Tell them to offer someone with free time and the basic know-how a quick buck for transcribing the videos. (or audio recordings, whichever they are)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophill View Post
    Someone could just type out what was said in the recording, problem solved. Also if I wanted a recording of a class that bad, I would just do it myself, regardless of the rules. No ones going to notice.
    Have to agree here. If you bring a small camera in nobody will even see it, hell depending on the class if they don't have anything you need to actually visually see you could just the camera in your pocket and just record the audio if that would be beneficial, and I'm assuming it would be since the deaf person could obviously see the video still.

As for if it's fair, no probably not, but at the same time if the class requires you to hear what's being said I don't see why there's a deaf person in that class to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    At my college, such classes always offer up a job to create notes for people with disabilities, or to transcribe recordings such as those.

Easy solution that only requires a handful of small bills.
    Yea, my college paid like $100 to take notes for the disabled. Was easy money if you were going to be in class taking notes anyway.

Doesn't make much sense IMO. So everybody should be penalized because an individual with a disability can't benefit from a certain convenience? I'm all for trying to make things as equal as possible but that should consist of improvements for the disabled, not taking away stuff from the nondisabled..

Too bad they just can't get some software to transcribe the Professor's lecture and then give the video the option of turning on subtitles. Stuff like Dragon NaturallySpeaking already can convert voice chat to text so something like that I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    what about chalkboards/white boards and the blind? or videos for that matter?
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Honestly whoever told the professor to stop should be fired right away. The deaf student wasn't hurt in anyway. Its fine if the student wants some way to get the same access to this resource, and the school should work to accommodate, but to bring everyone else down is just inane.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    As for if it's fair, no probably not, but at the same time if the class requires you to hear what's being said I don't see why there's a deaf person in that class to begin with.
    There is a person that attends class that does sign language for this person.

Deleted
    How is the deaf student even managing at all if he's so deaf as to be unable to benefit from recordings? I'm assuming that means he can't hear anything in class and has to have some sort of notes or helper provided, so why exactly does it matter if he can use the recordings or not?

Until they stop being stupid and come up with a way to accommodate him rather than punish everyone, just take a recording device in your pocket or bag and try to sit at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Have to agree here. If you bring a small camera in nobody will even see it, hell depending on the class if they don't have anything you need to actually visually see you could just the camera in your pocket and just record the audio if that would be beneficial, and I'm assuming it would be since the deaf person could obviously see the video still.

The most important stuff, imo, occurs on the projector screen which, when the professor does the recordings, also gets recorded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    How is the deaf student even managing at all if he's so deaf as to be unable to benefit from recordings? I'm assuming that means he can't hear anything in class and has to have some sort of notes or helper provided, so why exactly does it matter if he can use the recordings or not?

Until they stop being stupid and come up with a way to accommodate him rather than punish everyone, just take a recording device in your pocket or bag and try to sit at the front.
    Seating is sort of assigned based on where we all sat on the first day, I'm sort of in the middle of the room and a recording device would need to be out in plain view in order to get anything useful. :\

Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I have to keep this as vague as possible. I'm in a series of classes that are pretty intense. The one nice thing has been the professor records classes for us and posts them online so we can review the class. Recently, a complaint was lodged because there is a deaf student and because of his disability, is unable to benefit from these resources. (This is the rumor at least) As a result, our professor has had to suspend his recordings until they can come up with a reasonable accommodation for this one student.

This screws over 100+ other students who are now missing out on being able to review recordings.

My college also has a no recording policy so you cannot bring a personal recording device and record classes to review on your own.

Is it fair to screw over 100+ students because the college can't accommodate one person? Shouldn't it be the colleges responsibility to possible review these recordings and provide a transcript for this student rather than screwing over everyone else?
    If it receives public funding, its basically law that there should be nothing that prohibits him from having the same education as other students, im sorry that you dont like it, but live with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most important stuff, imo, occurs on the projector screen which, when the professor does the recordings, also gets recorded.

- - - Updated - - -

Seating is sort of assigned based on where we all sat on the first day, I'm sort of in the middle of the room and a recording device would need to be out in plain view in order to get anything useful. :\
    no I'm sure you can get some gadget to record that can be hidden away
    I hate America
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

So the deaf student can't hear the recording, but he can hear the live course? Praise Jesus, because that's a fucking miracle!

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a person that attends class that does sign language for this person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    So the deaf student can't hear the recording, but he can hear the live course? Praise Jesus, because that's a fucking miracle!
    reading is fun!!!!
    I hate America

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd just use my phone to record the class, or a small camera. Screw the rules.

The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.

Wait, that's not how it goes.

Is the course graded on a curve?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If someone is there doing sign language, why can't they just do video (with audio) recording? That way the deaf student can watch the sign language, while the other students can listen.