Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Out of curiosity, for Combustion, does it burn the ignite that is on the target AS I cast combustion. Or if I increase the ignite while combustion is burning on the target, will it increase combustion's damage?

Quote Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
    How far behind others are you on fights like Butcher, or even Imperator/Kor'agh? For Tectus or Twins i'm sure it's ok, but pure single target dps kind of worries me without BRF gear
    Im at 645 right now and at 34% crit i do fairly well on butcher but thats after practicing combustion a ton and using a combustion add on because it makes a large dmg difference, but damage wise im doing really great on cleaves but on butcher im doing just over 20k depending on crits and such, the gear does have alot more ms but if you get the right pieces and use the proper enchants fire seems to be competitive enough that you won't kill your group

Quote Originally Posted by Falisa View Post
    Out of curiosity, for Combustion, does it burn the ignite that is on the target AS I cast combustion. Or if I increase the ignite while combustion is burning on the target, will it increase combustion's damage?
    It's based on Ignite that was active at Combustion cast. You'll notice this if you put up Combustion and then stop attacking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Komman View Post
    To be honest with you...

Good riddance.
    I loved it. Made an otherwise easy spec somewhat more challenging in a unique way.

Quote Originally Posted by Falisa View Post
    i think combustion works based on the current ignite on the target and the current pyro dot and mage bomb if you have one(which for single target you'll want to use blast wave) so using combustion right after a meteor and pyro spam seem to give me pretty good results and using inferno blast after combustion will spread it if glyped(i think.....atworkanditsfridaysoiaplogize)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armbre View Post
    Im at 645 right now and at 34% crit i do fairly well on butcher but thats after practicing combustion a ton and using a combustion add on because it makes a large dmg difference, but damage wise im doing really great on cleaves but on butcher im doing just over 20k depending on crits and such, the gear does have alot more ms but if you get the right pieces and use the proper enchants fire seems to be competitive enough that you won't kill your group
    Cool thanks. If i can get a couple of pieces with crit on it this week i'll give it a try, im at that item level as well. What do you do to maximize combustion? Meteor>fire off pyros?

Quote Originally Posted by Armbre View Post
    i think combustion works based on the current ignite on the target and the current pyro dot and mage bomb if you have one(which for single target you'll want to use blast wave) so using combustion right after a meteor and pyro spam seem to give me pretty good results and using inferno blast after combustion will spread it if glyped(i think.....atworkanditsfridaysoiaplogize)
    Combustion is based solely off of Ignite (which everything except your level 75 tier applies).
    Inferno Blast will also always spread Combustion (along with all other Fire DoTs), the glyph only makes more DoTs get spread.

Cool thanks. If i can get a couple of pieces with crit on it this week i'll give it a try, im at that item level as well. What do you do to maximize combustion? Meteor>fire off pyros?
    Meteor is the single biggest hit you have, trying to stack that with as many Pyros as possible (without delaying Combustion too much) will yield the best result. Do remember, though, that Pyroblast (because of Critical Mass) has a higher chance to crit (by a factor of 1.3) than Meteor. Pyroblast crit > Meteor noncrit, for Ignite (not overall damage).

Deleted
    Yeah i'm aware of that, i was just wondering wether the ideal thing is to fire off meteor first and time a pyro to land along with it (and then get off extra procs), or to pyro first, let meteor land, hopefully cast any other procs in the meantime, and then use combustion.

Deleted
    How far behind others are you on fights like Butcher, or even Imperator/Kor'agh? For Tectus or Twins i'm sure it's ok, but pure single target dps kind of worries me without BRF gear
    Fire's fine on just about everything but Butcher IMO. Rocking 40℅ crit having no issues keeping up as of now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrod View Post
    Fire's fine on just about everything but Butcher IMO. Rocking 40℅ crit having no issues keeping up as of now.
    I'd like to try fire, but I don't wanna spend gold and mats to re-enchant / re-gem for more crit.

imo Fire could do with a reshuffle of damage from pyro to fireball to help out with challenge mode runs but other than that I too am having no issues keeping up with the raid as fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    imo Fire could do with a reshuffle of damage from pyro to fireball to help out with challenge mode runs but other than that I too am having no issues keeping up with the raid as fire.
    I was curious to how Fire would perform in Cmodes. Haven't had a chance to do much yet, but I figured it could be decent at killing trash which is generally what takes the longest.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    I was curious to how Fire would perform in Cmodes. Haven't had a chance to do much yet, but I figured it could be decent at killing trash which is generally what takes the longest.
    I'm debating putting together a heavy crit/multistrike gear set for CM's so that I can be Fire on trash and Frost on bosses.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Fire is DEFINITELY viable on Mythic Kargath haha: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/6#boss=1721&class=Mage
    http://puu.sh/dy0tF/5ca194d019.png

Probably the only #1 parse I'll ever have on anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrod View Post
    I'm debating putting together a heavy crit/multistrike gear set for CM's so that I can be Fire on trash and Frost on bosses.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Fire is DEFINITELY viable on Mythic Kargath haha: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...721&class=Mage
    http://puu.sh/dy0tF/5ca194d019.png

Probably the only #1 parse I'll ever have on anything.
    Hehe, nice job Maybe I'm gonna try it today, too.
    But I think it's only viable if you are in the kill-the-adds-on-the-terrace-group and I am not.
    Need more crit on highmaul gear!
    Last edited by mmoc8f28c533f3; 2014-12-17 at 02:04 PM.

Is Unstable Magic better then Blast Wave on single-target sustain?
    Blast Wave feels weird to use, I rather be stacking crits

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Is Unstable Magic better then Blast Wave on single-target sustain?
    Blast Wave feels weird to use, I rather be stacking crits
    No, as it says in my guide, Blast Wave is the best ST option.

Deleted
    Just wondering about two things...
    first, the guide says in the talents part that you shouldn't use living bomb on pure st fights but in the single target spell priority part it says you should cast it on the boss. so what is right?

and the other thing is: what exactly is the benefit of using glyph of combustion? isn't the dmg output the same with or without it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by recty View Post
    Just wondering about two things...
    first, the guide says in the talents part that you shouldn't use living bomb on pure st fights but in the single target spell priority part it says you should cast it on the boss. so what is right?

and the other thing is: what exactly is the benefit of using glyph of combustion? isn't the dmg output the same with or without it?
    For the first time, probably a mistype I will look into it after my raid.

It is a lot easier and more reasonable to line up a few very good combustions, than trying to line one up every 45sec. Your beginning pull will almost always be the strongest, and it is a lot stronger with a great 20sec Combustion than a great 10 second Combustion. It is just more reliable and generally more favourable.

- - - Updated - - -

Combustion section added under the In Combat tab. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you very much for the guide. I am just a bit confused about one thing: LB is a dps loss on single target, yet from my own experience, if I don't keep LB on single target fight, the dps is very low--it seemed better to keep it. Can anyone clarify this quote--did I misunderstand something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakrymosa View Post
    Thank you very much for the guide. I am just a bit confused about one thing: LB is a dps loss on single target, yet from my own experience, if I don't keep LB on single target fight, the dps is very low--it seemed better to keep it. Can anyone clarify this quote--did I misunderstand something?
    If there is movement, I put it on the boss just in case I can't cast for a second, it would be gain there. Just in situations like Butcher where you have it for some reason, don't use it if there is no movement to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    No, as it says in my guide, Blast Wave is the best ST option.
    Do you not agree with Frosted's sims over on Altered Time? You call MI the best single target L90 talent when RoP beats it on Frosted's list. And according to those, the difference between UM and BW on single target is negligible. 22 dps on over 33k. 0.066% different. Possibly entirely within the margin of error of the sim (not sure how many iterations he runs), and requires an extra element of perfect play to maximize. I'd argue that since Euroguy finds Blast Wave uncomfortable to use, he'd probably see a dps loss using it compared to UM. Similarly, on two targets UM is only 0.096% behind LB.

For a large part of the target audience, I think UM is the best choice for anything with less than 3 targets (where LB pulls out significantly ahead) since as a passive it removes a potential for human error and sims functionally equal damage to either of the active options. You get less out of swapping out that passive for an active talent than race switching to troll, which you even admit in your guide is minute and not particularly worth worrying about.