Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Hello there. I wanted to ask you guys, how much % (roughly and in most cases) of your damage comes from Combustion? I am trying to get used to fire mage and I seldom see more than 10% from damage done. Does it mean that I need to learn to Combust or it is normal?
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    I started to get curious so i will ask it here. How is fire after the item upgrades patch? will it be viable or it is still lingering in the shadows of arcane and frost?
    It was viable before the upgrades and its viable now. The problem with Fire is that its damage generally isn't as useful for progression. Its not as good single-target or on priority targets, and there's lot of priority targets throughout HFC. It will still do decent damage compared to many other classes/specs, just not as strong as Arcane or Frost for progression.

It would be nice if someone could edit in a little more focus on DB as its the highest DPET spell that fire has now afaik. Someone reading this would have no idea how good it actually is
    Last edited by Erolian; 2015-11-28 at 03:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    It would be nice if someone could edit in a little more focus on DB as its the highest DPET spell that fire has now afaik. Someone reading this would have no idea how good it actually is
    I'll get around to it.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    Hello there. I wanted to ask you guys, how much % (roughly and in most cases) of your damage comes from Combustion? I am trying to get used to fire mage and I seldom see more than 10% from damage done. Does it mean that I need to learn to Combust or it is normal?
    Regardless of Fightlength and with or witout adds, your Crystal and Combustion should be your two major dmg scources, combinded 40-60%.
    Also if you are just getting into fire right now. Get sandman's pouch. With legendary ring beeing high ilvl by now, the only way to stay compeditive with arcane is this trinket, and its implications to playing fire.

can i play fire in pve with low ilvl? like a freshly boosted 100, basically

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by decyphier View Post
    can i play fire in pve with low ilvl? like a freshly boosted 100, basically
    You can. They increased base crit % to make up for low ilevels, however it just won't be as good as Frost on average, or Arcane on ST.

So I'm starting out trying a fire mage, and I have two things I was wondering.

I got my hands on the MyBigIgnite addon and was wondering what an appropriate ignite threshold is before I blow off a combustion, and how long I should appropriately wait off hoping to reach said ignite level before I simply use a combustion on the best I can get my hands on?

Another question is whats the appropriate percentage of crit I should be aiming to be at? I'm still in mostly starter gear and a couple of 685 epics (boosted the character), so there's a long way to go obviously.

Edit: Also which crafted items are really good to start out with?
    Last edited by Ferbian; 2015-12-08 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferbian View Post
    So I'm starting out trying a fire mage, and I have two things I was wondering.

I got my hands on the MyBigIgnite addon and was wondering what an appropriate ignite threshold is before I blow off a combustion, and how long I should appropriately wait off hoping to reach said ignite level before I simply use a combustion on the best I can get my hands on?

Another question is whats the appropriate percentage of crit I should be aiming to be at? I'm still in mostly starter gear and a couple of 685 epics (boosted the character), so there's a long way to go obviously.

Edit: Also which crafted items are really good to start out with?
    There really is not a "combustion threshold" you should reach, and no number that I can put out there even knowing your ilevel, it is just way too many variables. Just combustion when you get a string of crits and pyros in the target. Usually within 10-15 seconds of the pull will be your first, if not sooner depending on RNG. Then just try and use them as they come.

Just get crit. Doesn't matter what % you are at, get more. Nothing to aim for but 100% crit.

Crafted items have random stats on them. Just follow the stat priority, get crit.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    You can. They increased base crit % to make up for low ilevels, however it just won't be as good as Frost on average, or Arcane on ST.
    thanks homie

Crafted items have random stats on them. Just follow the stat priority, get crit.
    Aye I know that much, just figured maybe there were some crafted items that lasts longer when proper itemized (Say for example a 715 pair of boots lasting till Mythic because there's no better itemized heroic ones)

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye I know that much, just figured maybe there were some crafted items that lasts longer when proper itemized (Say for example a 715 pair of boots lasting till Mythic because there's no better itemized heroic ones)
    I wouldn't know off the top of my head, I never played any Fire in HFC and quit raiding several months ago :-/, sorry.

A 6/6 Sandman's Pouch is your #3 trinket, behind the Mythic Goren Soul Repository from Oregorger, and the Mythic Unblinking Gaze of Sethe from Iskar. Also, a 6/6 crafted cloak of the Peerless will likely be your BIS. The cloak options in HFC aren't that good, with the possible exception of the Hellfire Assault cloak (crit/haste).

Regarding your other questions: set MBI to at least 8-10k, and fire doesn't start coming together till probably 45% crit. Damage is pretty abysmal in general before that, imo.

Make sure you practice with PC and Combust. It's easy to get caught up in building a good ignite and not have time to combust + IB before PC expires.
    Last edited by DarkSoul; 2015-12-10 at 08:25 AM.

Deleted
    Hi, i just reached 48% crit self buffed, so i dropped frost (i almost always played arcane anyhow) and respecced to fire. I have the 6/6 +10ilvl Sandman's Pouch but no DSI - i mean not even the heroic version regardless of the countless mythic/hc kills. So i need a 2nd trinket for fire: i dont have DSI or Piston (not even in hc or normal) so my options are the following: Orb (715 heirloom; PC is not a demon ); Kazzak +10ilvl (i can reach 50% crit self-buffed with this one, tho i think it is not important since i only PC/Comb while my 3000 crit buff from SP is active); Iskar +10ilvl +gem. I also have PoF and class trinket but as far as i know they are really bad for fire. The top logs were all made with SP + DSI (mostly mythic, but in some cases with the hc version).

This week I killed Council (and Reaver) only on mythic and hc, so i have a chance on normal... A normal DSI/Piston (with the 10ilvl upgrade) can be better than my current trinkets (715 Orb; 720+gem Iskar; 715 Kazzak)? Unfortunately the fire trinket guides are all outdated, since they all come with Goren + Iskar as BiS but in reality all better logs are made with SP+DSI. But if those guides suggest wrong BiS ones why should i trust them and take Piston as 3rd best? I also tried to get which one is 3rd best from logs, but that is not an easy job - very few mages lacking HC DSI - so i rather asked it here.

Thanks
    Last edited by mmocdf7bb9c95d; 2015-12-10 at 12:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovassy View Post
    Hi, i just reached 48% crit self buffed, so i dropped frost (i almost always played arcane anyhow) and respecced to fire. I have the 6/6 +10ilvl Sandman's Pouch but no DSI - i mean not even the heroic version regardless of the countless mythic/hc kills. So i need a 2nd trinket for fire: i dont have DSI or Piston (not even in hc or normal) so my options are the following: Orb (715 heirloom; PC is not a demon ); Kazzak +10ilvl (i can reach 50% crit self-buffed with this one, tho i think it is not important since i only PC/Comb while my 3000 crit buff from SP is active); Iskar +10ilvl +gem. I also have PoF and class trinket but as far as i know they are really bad for fire. The top logs were all made with SP + DSI (mostly mythic, but in some cases with the hc version).

This week I killed Council (and Reaver) only on mythic and hc, so i have a chance on normal... A normal DSI/Piston (with the 10ilvl upgrade) can be better than my current trinkets (715 Orb; 720+gem Iskar; 715 Kazzak)? Unfortunately the fire trinket guides are all outdated, since they all come with Goren + Iskar as BiS but in reality all better logs are made with SP+DSI. But if those guides suggest wrong BiS ones why should i trust them and take Piston as 3rd best? I also tried to get which one is 3rd best from logs, but that is not an easy job - very few mages lacking HC DSI - so i rather asked it here.

Thanks
    I would honestly just download simcraft here: http://www.simulationcraft.org/download.html

And then use it to compare. Tons of different situations will promote different trinkets, depending on gear or encounter type.

Deleted
    I would honestly just download simcraft here: http://www.simulationcraft.org/download.html

And then use it to compare. Tons of different situations will promote different trinkets, depending on gear or encounter type.
    Thanks for the tip, Orb of Voidsight simmed highest for me (even gave more dps than DSI HC; +400dps; non-demon enemy), tho mythic DSI was 1,4k above Orb. Second best was the 2x upgraded non-warforged Kazzak trinket (-100dps compared to Orb) and regardless of the gemslot 720 Iskar simmed lowest. I shared the info, maybe helps someone that doesn't want to run simcraft. Quiet happy that i don't have to farm normal/HC Council any more let's hope for a mythic drop next week

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovassy View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Orb of Voidsight simmed highest for me (even gave more dps than DSI HC; +400dps; non-demon enemy), tho mythic DSI was 1,4k above Orb. Second best was the 2x upgraded non-warforged Kazzak trinket (-100dps compared to Orb) and regardless of the gemslot 720 Iskar simmed lowest. I shared the info, maybe helps someone that doesn't want to run simcraft. Quiet happy that i don't have to farm normal/HC Council any more let's hope for a mythic drop next week
    I was surprised by this, but I've been thinking of going Fire myself for fun, so I simmed my own trinkets and saw the same result. On both 1 and 2 target fights, 3 mins, non-demon bosses, the Heirloom was very very slightly better than Heroic DSI (100-200 dps). I kind of feel bad now that I asked some friends to help me pug H Council this week to help (the trinket did drop luckily enough). On demon fights the Heirloom was better than even Mythic DSI.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone seems to run 6/6 Sandman's but in all my sims of my character M Goren comes up as the top trinket on different fight lengths with 1 or 2 bosses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    I was surprised by this, but I've been thinking of going Fire myself for fun, so I simmed my own trinkets and saw the same result. On both 1 and 2 target fights, 3 mins, non-demon bosses, the Heirloom was very very slightly better than Heroic DSI (100-200 dps). I kind of feel bad now that I asked some friends to help me pug H Council this week to help (the trinket did drop luckily enough). On demon fights the Heirloom was better than even Mythic DSI.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone seems to run 6/6 Sandman's but in all my sims of my character M Goren comes up as the top trinket on different fight lengths with 1 or 2 bosses.
    I rerolled after BRF so i don't have the Goren mythic trinket but only the SP 6/6; i like the fact that my crit procs are not random: i have a proc during the pull (normally 2nd or 3rd cast) then every 2 mins in the fight, so i just delay all PC/Comb with 30 secs - this way i can reliably build high Ignites. As far as i know the Goren proc is totally random, so maybe this is the reason behind favoring Sandman's - i dropped arcane cos i disliked its rng nature; 3-400k variance in my opener is not something that i can accept/enjoy - so maybe the players that go fire now (possibly from arcane) don't want to see much rng and that's why they choose Sandman's over Goren.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious to know the logic SimC uses regarding 6/6 sandman's and the ring procs. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we're playing the trinket differently in game than the sim is.

Double PvP CC Crit trinkets? The ones that give 875 crit. A static 1750 crit throughout the whole fight. How would those be?