Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Actual Religious figures in history

Hello,

First off, a little bit of background: I am by no means a bigot or an atheist but would rather define myself as agnostic. That being said I can't help but notice that throughout history there have been a few figures who have claimed and proved they were guided by a divine will or force. Joan of Arc is the first one that comes to mind: Born a peasant, at the age of 16 she started turning the tides of war against England. In this specific case, could it have been coincidence? Was she just an amazing commander who just happened to confuse her awe-inspiring war skills for God-given insight?

At the moment of writing this another one doesn't come to mind but I'd love to have an actual conversation/thread about this. Anybody else from history come to mind? Please bear in mind I'd like it to be strictly religious figures. No William Wallace kind of stuff, please!

Thanks for reading! Looking forward to reading the comments!

Deleted
    'ickle baby jeezus

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find the topic interesting, however since you just want religious figures wont that be against fórum rules, afther all "religion".
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Or did she have help from a different sort of other worldly source... as ancient astronaut theorists believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetua_and_Felicity

They brought them into the arena naked to feed to the lions but the crowd booed when they saw the two were lactating. Felicity combs her hair so she'll look pretty when dead. The lions don't eat them. The guard they send in to finish the two off with a sword is shaking so badly that they have to steady his hands.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    'ickle baby jeezus
    As Jesus' life has been documented but largely influenced by multiple sources, I'd like to leave him out of this.
    Please bear in mind this doesn't have to be Christian exclusive. Feel free to include Jewish, Islamic, etc figures.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Colmadero View Post
    As Jesus' life has been documented but largely influenced by multiple sources, I'd like to leave him out of this.
    Please bear in mind this doesn't have to be Christian exclusive. Feel free to include Jewish, Islamic, etc figures.
    Saint Nick? ho ho ho...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

Bonhoeffer was a German preacher who tried to kill Hitler. There's a good nonfiction book on him.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

How about Bahá'u'lláh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27u%27ll%C3%A1h

That's about as recent as you can get, so the evidence of his actual existence must be fairly strong. I assume. Knowing almost nothing about the Bahai faith.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    'ickle baby jeezus
    Afraid there is no direct evidence of his existence, the earliest reference to him is from Josephus and was written almost a century after his death.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-09-18 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Well, there's Tacitus. A Roman historian. He mentions the Christians.

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Joan of Arc was a crazy girl that became a symbol for the french because of her claims to be speaking to God, in a time where 100% of people were brainwashed. She didn't do it alone, though. Political groups saw her as something the demoralized french could rally around and overthrow the british invaders. I doubt she had any active role in the battles other than carrying a banner around, as these are likely embelished stories to make her look more superhuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post
    as these are likely embellished stories to make her look more superhuman.
    Which could probably be said for every religious figure that actually existed. They didn't exactly have the ability to dredge up her sordid Twitter history.

PBS Frontline did a special on early Christians. It's filled with historians and stuff. Most historians agree that there was a historical Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPKCDOeyMg

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Which could probably be said for every religious figure that actually existed. They didn't exactly have the ability to dredge up her sordid Twitter history.
    You could say that about all historical figures, what we know of them now is purely what someone wanted us to know; doesn't matter good. bad. true or false.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    PBS Frontline did a special on early Christians. It's filled with historians and stuff. Most historians agree that there was a historical Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPKCDOeyMg
    I've heard the name Jezus Christ was derived from general Julius Ceasar, since the Romans kinda made Christianity as an alternative for bread and games because Christianity was very popular with the poor classes: "Be good citizens, work hard and die in the name of Rome and you'll be rewarded when you're dead." its something the old Roman religions didn't have and they where kinda known for taking the best out of every religion.

Also a lot of historians believe that Jezus could have been multiple people.

Anyway, I find such a theory much more appealing then believing that 2000 years ago some Jewish dude was walking around telling people not to be dicks to each other.
    Last edited by mmoc013aca8632; 2014-09-18 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I've heard the name Jezus Christ was derived from general Julius Ceasar, since the Romans kinda made Christianity as an alternative for bread and games because Christianity was very popular with the poor classes: "Be good citizens, work hard and die in the name of Rome and you'll be rewarded when you're dead." its something the old Roman religions didn't have and they where kinda known for taking the best out of every religion.

Also a lot of historians believe that Jezus could have been multiple people.
    Don't troll me bro. I haven't had my coffee yet.

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstick View Post
    Don't troll me bro. I haven't had my coffee yet.
    I'm not trolling, I've heard multiple theories that Jezus might have not existed at all, because they only started mentioning his name long after he died. They've also never found Roman documents of that time that mention him, wich is suspicious, since they wanted him dead according to the stories.

For example, we know Muhammed existed, because the dude conquered huge areas of land and stuff.

Father Kilian Dreiling

http://www.amazon.com/Inspiring-Stor.../dp/0972596038

My Mother knew him and I actually had the pleasure of meeting this former Army Chaplain and WWII Vet. He was able to bring The Beast of Dachau (Ilse Koch) to tears and confess her sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joan of Arc's divine help didn't stop us from roasting her.

England 1 - 0 God

/flex

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Joan of Arc's divine help didn't stop us from roasting her.

England 1 - 0 God

/flex
    True because she didn't have any divine help at all. But it sure felt good burning the other team's mascot.