Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Russia is a Democracy thanks to Ronald Regan. Another president will take Putins place in due time. I like the way he stands up to people trying to bully his country. Something that Obama doesn't have a spine for.
    Russia is not a democracy; in fact, many countries that are considered dictatorships are closer to democracy than Russia. In Russia essentially one man has been ruling the country for 15 years by now and doesn't seem to be going to step away. Look at the map here: http://www.freedomhouse.org/sites/de...reedom2014.pdf
    Russia is among the third of the most non-free countries. Also look at the freedom press rankings:
    http://freedomhouse.org/report/freed...s#.VCDJfvldXBo
    Russia is #176 out of 197. Such countries as Kongo (Kinshasa), Rwanda, CAR, Yemen, Zimbabwe, Burma, Iraq and Afghanistan have a more free press than Russia.

Putin is as much a "good guy" as Hitler who also stood up for his country in harder times - and you know how that ended up. Would you like to have to fight in WW3 now against this cool guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    It was, in fact, real "regime change"... Putin would never abstain on Lybia against better judgement of our diplomats :P

...you really shouldn't expect miracles from any regime changes. Underlying situation remains the same regardless of who is at the head of the state.
    Are you freaking serious? Medvedev is Putin's toe on his left foot, and people voted for him because he promised continuation of Putin's course - and even then he made no secret that the next president would again be Putin, and Putin during Medvedev's presidency was prime minister, the second most influential person in Russian politics. They are both leading Edinaya Rossia, analogue of Communist Party of the USSR and the only party in Russia that has a real power.

Just stop spreading false rumors. Even every non-Russian knows well that Medvedev was a joke, and what followed after his stepping down was a rape of the constitution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Kinda puts a dent in the blame Yeltsin thing.
    Yeltsin was an USA satellite with only one goal: make sure that it won't climb out of 1990 depression.

@may90, how exactly is freedom measured? These maps are always boggle my mind. Also, if majority of people choose one person for presidency via elections for several years in a row means that elections are rigged, not that this person is good leader and people are satisfied with what he does, right.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2014-09-23 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Yeltsin was an USA satellite with only one goal: make sure that it won't climb out of 1990 depression
    I thought regime changes didn't matter. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought regime changes didn't matter. D:
    No, they do matter, and if i put my conspiracy hat on, it was a great plan to use Yeltsin as "look how bad we lived back then, he was the reason why Russia is in deep shit, now elect me and i'll fix things", knowing that to "fix things" he barely needed to rise a finger it was really really great PR. Then people got bored of Putin and Medvedev won it (obviously, who would want Jirinivsky or Zyuganov in president spot, it would start 3rd world war/iron curtain instantly), he goofed up really strong, and everyone wants Putin again and afraid of changes.

If you would actually lived through 1990s to today you would know how regime change do matter in Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Does it involve the US? Then I don't give a shit and the US should stop giving a shit.

We are not the world police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeltsin was an USA satellite with only one goal: make sure that it won't climb out of 1990 depression.
    It hurts me to know that there are actually people in Russia who honestly think in terms of such conspiracy theories.

@may90, how exactly is freedom measured? These maps are always boggle my mind. Also, if majority of people choose one person for presidency via elections for several years in a row means that elections are rigged, not that this person is good leader and people are satisfied with what he does, right.
    There is an algorithm posted on the website. It is based off much more things that just rigged elections, although this is also present in Russia (I remember how on the last elections in our university in our group not a single person voted for Putin, and yet it was reported that like 60% students voted and the majority for Putin).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    So...lol... now the baltics and Poland weren't the ones asking for intervention and action against evil Russia? Have you been living under a rock?
    The simple fact that a Lithuanian prime minister has to resort to anti Russian claims in order to boost its popularity back home should make you think.

Of course you were against latest sanctions, since the ones you were pushing so much at the beginning are damaging you the most.
    Guess who was arguing against that Italian proposition for European "foreign minister" cause she was "too soft on russia"? Guess where the likes of Mccain and Obama and the likes have been spending most of their time recently?
    Do you remember mccain's speech in Estonia (or Latvia?)?

Europe is what now? A flexible entity? What does that means exactly?
    Europe is stagnating in a world that's recovering. And we do need Russian resources badly seen how thanks to our friends oversea there simply aren't any other options on the table currently.
    My nose is about to be broken by the neverending facedesk motions I`ve to endure while reading your posts.

Not for a single second did Baltics and Poland urge NATO to ''intervene'' in Ukraine. What they did say, is to have a harder stance against Putin himself,not a NATO intervention.We did call of emergency meeting and guess what was said after it - '' we are concerned, we are very,very oh so concerned''. Thats the influence we have in NATO - none.Well,OK we did manage to call for emergency meeting which proved to be as uselss as internet discussions.
    It does make me think - the guy is a fool and his party is about to collapse. After he said it, his popularity actually went downhill even more because no one buys his panic tantrum inspired speeches.
    Nationalist parties in Baltics - which always have been in opposition (most theyve got have been 12% in Parliament) - have suffered more from this curent crysis than Russian parties.
    Why? Because no one with brains believes what they say. We are countries that keep on reelecting liberals.

What damage are you talking about? Oh, those 0,3-,05 GPD points that will be cut off from this years predicted 2,5% growth? Hardly the stuff to be panicking for and fact is - no one but opposition parties are trying to use sanctions to scare their voters(mostly peasants).Funny thing is - its not working,yet again not unlike as you imagine it does.
    Do you remember mccain's speech in Estonia (or Latvia?)?
    Is this your last resort? You couldnt possibly find a more irrelevant and useless person to back up your hallow points.

What Obama is doing is exactly what a President whos country is the backbone of NATO is supposed to do - big deal.

What I meant with that is - EU has got assets and resources to minimze damage from possible sanctions from Russia, and its using them already.
    No one is going to cut off supplies from Europe - if the dares to, it`ll be his end. Thats the only thing we need from Russia and he needs money,lots of money and as soon as possible.
    Even during USSR era when both sides aimed at each other with nukes - gas and oil pipelines werent even on discussion table as a possible tool for political pressuring.It was a ''sacred'' thing and no one thought about breaking that tie.
    Last edited by mmoc473526390f; 2014-09-23 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Russia is not a democracy; in fact, many countries that are considered dictatorships are closer to democracy than Russia. In Russia essentially one man has been ruling the country for 15 years by now and doesn't seem to be going to step away.
    Just like President-Elect of European Commission is the man who was prime minister of Luxembourg for 19 years without breaks...

Did he violate the spirit, if not the letter of Luxemborgs constitution frequently?

Did he violate the spirit, if not the letter of Luxemborgs constitution frequently?
    Foreigners debating spirit of constitution of other countries is always amusing.

So that's a no.

So that's a no.
    Putin did not break nor spirit nor the letter of Russian constitution :P

...really, he could ignore constitution outright and not take a break at all at that point, his support was sufficient for that.

Putin did not break nor spirit nor the letter of Russian constitution :P
    Says who? The non-independent judiciary?

- - - Updated - - -

...really, he could ignore constitution outright and not take a break at all at that point, his support was sufficient for that.
    So was Hitler's.

"Supporting" autocrats that control the very media that fill your head with propaganda doesn't legitimize them.

And the fact you "support" an autocrat that violates basic rights is very scary.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2014-09-23 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Russia is a Democracy thanks to Ronald Regan. Another president will take Putins place in due time. I like the way he stands up to people trying to bully his country. Something that Obama doesn't have a spine for.
    Due time? Thanks to Regan? Now I know you are trolling... Obama and future president will not be that different, that's US politics. While Putin being at least a prime minister is the reality of Russia for the last 15 years and counting. Due time is not going to happen... Why not move? My family liked America enough to move here, yet all you do is bitch?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to the propaganda, we might have the chance to wait another generation before shit calms down.
    What propaganda? I left Ukraine because of Russia. I am sorry if my families treatment under Russia is propaganda. I am sorry that Polish partisans are still alive to gnarl teeth at Russia. I am sorry that a near century of oppression not being forgotten is propaganda.
    Last edited by Felya; 2014-09-23 at 05:30 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Due time? Thanks to Regan? Now I know you are trolling... Obama and future president will not be that different, that's US politics. While Putin being at least a prime minister is the reality of Russia for the last 15 years and counting. Due time is not going to happen... Why not move? My family liked America enough to move here, yet all you do is bitch?

- - - Updated - - -

What propaganda? I left Ukraine because of Russia. I am sorry if my families treatment under Russia is propaganda. I am sorry that Polish partisans are still alive to gnarl teeth at Russia. I am sorry that a near century of oppression not being forgotten is propaganda.
    It's been 25 years.
    12 years after the second world war in Europe we signed the treaty of Rome.
    The political will in eastern Europe is being kept down in order to suit politicians and foreign powers.

It's been 25 years.
    12 years after the second world war in Europe we signed the treaty of Rome.
    The political will in eastern Europe is being kept down in order to suit politicians and foreign powers.
    Citation needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcellus1986 View Post
    Citation needed.
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sourc...nrwoNqoJjHLjfg

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sourc...wjsVftRLp11rGw

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sourc...OpwU5IS5NK4aKQ

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and everything said by Kiev in the last 8 months. Trying to hide their shocking economic situation with a civil war against Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Unfortunately, in the eyes of Westerners Russia is the "real" country and Ukraine is... well, a neighbor of Russia. Otherwise they would easily see it your way. I find it shameful that our politicians care much more about political profit than about people and don't see Ukraine as an independent state with people who don't want to live under Russian tyranny. Same thing is with Tibet and China: the US politics see Tibet as a part of China which tries to get independence, not a sovereign state occupied by Chinese army. And even if Tibet breaks free, Obama will probably still have this vision of a Chinese territory separated, rather than independent state freed.

Imagine if Russia invades , say, Alaska now. It will freaking lead to war between NATO and the Russia and will, probably, end in occupying Russia and changing its political system. The West will protect its "significant" territories with force. While annexation of Crimea and, basically, destruction of Ukraine's east led just to some clumsy sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Well, quite easy to do in a few steps:
    1) Find criteria that shows 'Murica is the best country in the world, despite having only two right parties.
    2) Word those criteria in such a way that puts Russia on the same level as North Korea.
    3) Scare your citizens.
    4) ...
    5) Profit!
    Maybe you should look at that list first. The US is by far not on the first position in there.

Unless you are being sarcastic.

Deleted
    Seriously, is this is how base off your whole premise (its still hasnt worn off of me, its that stupid) ''eastern Europe doing considerable damage to Europe as whole''?!

Speeches are speeches,louds statements that nobody in the respective countries buys are loud statements.

You didnt reply to my previous post. Good - save your face.

But I skipped that Mogherini line - we did complain and make headlines (what a damage to Europe!) in newspapers but in the end,what happened?
    Thats right, just as EU and NATO has been overridiging and notgivingafuck since 2004 about us, this was the case again - she was appointed.
    It seems you simply cant possibly begin to wrap your head around the idea that statements=/actions.

The day will come when Putin will try to pull of eastern Ukraine scenario in Narva,Latgale - and then fools in both Europe,USA that parasite Ukraine thread will once again buy the bullshit they are fed with.Talking about you, that b1214131 guy and the rest of the gang.
    But then I`d want to see their faces when (probably,if) their men and women are sent to die here killing ''lost and retired russian solders''. And the avalanche goes down. I`m legit saving this thread to bring it up in-not-that-far-away future.
    Last edited by mmoc473526390f; 2014-09-24 at 07:46 PM.