10+ Year Old Account

Easiest, worst classes for you?

Let me preface this with, I've been playing Diablo since this first one came out, but I'm not the min/max'ing type and I typically don't look up builds online or anything like that.

I recently got the console version of D3 to play with my roommate and friends. I've had the PC version (CE of both Vanilla and RoS) since release, and I rolled a DH on PC and loved it. I have one of each class on PC, DH is highest, rest are around 60ish. Fast forward to the PS3 version we're playing, and oh my god, the DH has to be the worst freaking class ever.

From the very first, classes like Wizard, Crusader, and Barbarian just basically rape face. And they do it all the way through. Monks, meh, not as much. But Demon Hunters and Witch Doctors, ugh. They're squishy right from the start, they don't do all that much in the way of damage, and they can't handle large groups of mobs like the first three I listed. Now remember, I have experience with DH, it's my PC main. I don't know what the deal is; every class I've started has been on Master difficulty, and I've been solo'ing just fine. But DH and WD, I had to knock it down Hard just to be able to survive.

I didn't have that issue on PC, and on PC, we don't have all the fancy things the consoles do, like being able to dodge or the speed bonus for breaking shit. Even with Nephalem Glory, my damage is still pitiful. I can take about 3 hits before I need to pot.

Crusader though, my god, what a fucking TANK. All the life gain they get, I don't think I've used a potion but maybe once. Barbarian, just jump in and mow shit down. Wizard isn't as hardy, but can still kill large groups fairly easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I had similar issues with the DH. What bugged me most was how long it seems to take the DH to kill anything compare to almost any class, especially something like a Wizard. That's my current class now, specifically because there are few greater pleasures than annihilating everything in sight before it can even so much as send you a mean look.

That being said, as I've been getting into Torment difficulty, I'm beginning to wonder if things start to reverse as you get higher in level. Because Elite damage and health ramps up so dramatically the higher you go, being a glass cannon like the wizard actually becomes a disadvantage, and having some of the utility that the DH and WD have might become more useful that it was during the lower difficulties. I guess it becomes a choice of struggling earlier on but shining later, or facerolling the easier stuff but struggling later on.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    I had similar issues with the DH. What bugged me most was how long it seems to take the DH to kill anything compare to almost any class, especially something like a Wizard. That's my current class now, specifically because there are few greater pleasures than annihilating everything in sight before it can even so much as send you a mean look.

That being said, as I've been getting into Torment difficulty, I'm beginning to wonder if things start to reverse as you get higher in level. Because Elite damage and health ramps up so dramatically the higher you go, being a glass cannon like the wizard actually becomes a disadvantage, and having some of the utility that the DH and WD have might become more useful that it was during the lower difficulties. I guess it becomes a choice of struggling earlier on but shining later, or facerolling the easier stuff but struggling later on.
    Yeah, I haven't stepped into Torment yet :-P On console I have a Wizard at 65 and my roommate's Barbarian is 65 as well. We just downed Malthael, and then he and his girl are in Cali for a week. When he gets back, we'll try out the end-game stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I just got into Diablo 3 UEE on the console. Been playing it on the PC since ROS came out. One thing to keep in mind is that the console version is patched up until patch 2.0.6. And Crusaders were buffed right before that patch.

Also another thing I've found with range classes is that most of their spells are on auto lock so maybe that plays a part as well.

Lets put it this way: Marauder 6 Demon Hunters are a few greater rift levels ahead of the pack.

An M6 Demon Hunter enjoys the following privileges over a regular demon hunter:
    they have 5 sentry turrets that each do more dps than a regular demon hunter (+400% dps at the very least due to % sentry damage being so good)
    their turrets ignore the hatred mechanic that, with the preparation hatred regeneration rune nerf, cripples most builds
    their turrets are invincible so mobility does not really affect dps

It takes so much to make the class great. Without M6 in its current state, demon hunters would be worthless with terrible resource management (things don't die fast enough on high difficulties to spawn health globes to fuel attacks via Reapers Wraps) and very weak survivability versus unavoidable damage like Jailor or Frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenton View Post
    Lets put it this way: Marauder 6 Demon Hunters are a few greater rift levels ahead of the pack.

An M6 Demon Hunter enjoys the following privileges over a regular demon hunter:
    they have 5 sentry turrets that each do more dps than a regular demon hunter (+400% dps at the very least due to % sentry damage being so good)
    their turrets ignore the hatred mechanic that, with the preparation hatred regeneration rune nerf, cripples most builds
    their turrets are invincible so mobility does not really affect dps

It takes so much to make the class great. Without M6 in its current state, demon hunters would be worthless with terrible resource management (things don't die fast enough on high difficulties to spawn health globes to fuel attacks via Reapers Wraps) and very weak survivability versus unavoidable damage like Jailor or Frozen.
    I would not say M6 DH is ahead of the others, Demon hunters are just the easiest to get geared, once they have their M6 T6 becomes farmable at an efficient rate. But wizards, crusaders, and monks are all extremely powerful as well when geared. WD is also very good right now in group play they are nearly invaluable.

Deleted
    Demon Hunter is absurdly easy, the challenge for me personally remains in surviving one shots without proccing my passive (Awareness) or not getting my ass handed to me through bad placement.

I struggled with Jade Witch Doctor due to having to use Spirit Walk to get into melee to use Soul Harvest without getting 1 shot on the way out... Anything past Grift 30 I just couldn't hack whereas I can solo 31-32 fairly easily on my DH.

As said above both WD and DH are invaluable for different reasons. If the luck of the draw is with me and I forget to take off my Harringtons Belt on my Witch Doctor... Then walk into an Act1 Manor with Book Shelves then... Yeah 2.6 billion hits on the boss pre-patch (Not sure how Furnace nerf works now?) were fucking hilarious but the big thing about WD is the fact you can one shot elites up to Grift 30 with relative ease but you can also heal yourself through the exact same means with the Soul Harvest glyph so I dunno...

Barb at 70 pre patch was good fun but nothing compared to WD pet build, oh boy.

With the Witch Doctor I kind of stumbled into a build. Played a Demon Hunter first and it was kind of meh, but the Witch Doctor was easy mode up until Nightmare (before they removed it. This was pre RoS) I seriously never died using the tactics I did and the build I did right through until the last couple of levels into the last two difficulty levels.

Let's just say 4 Zombie dogs that heal me as they do damage + Colossus Zombie + Templar w/regen power + passive skill where we all take less damage = fun time for the Witch Doctor.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    From the very first, classes like Wizard, Crusader, and Barbarian just basically rape face. And they do it all the way through. Monks, meh, not as much. But Demon Hunters and Witch Doctors, ugh. They're squishy right from the start, they don't do all that much in the way of damage, and they can't handle large groups of mobs like the first three I listed.
    I agree with you about squishiness. Don't know why you tell that squishier character is bad one. DH fe have great escape/movement mechanism (tumble) so they don't have to worry that much about damage. I have all characters on 70 (normal and hc) except monk on hc(he is waiting for season 2). TBH melee classes were the easiest to level on hc thanks to 20% or something damage reduction. Didn't have to make more characters than 1 on hc. The biggest struggle was Wizard I had to do 5 or 6 Wizards to finally level him up and gear him properly at max level. He is my strongest character also atm. I personally don't feel that any of the classes is weak and saw monks and dhs raping everything around me quite a bit online.

When everything had low HP in diablo original launch, DH was ahead of everyone because of their front loaded damage and near perma invincibility in short duration fights. When MP was introduced DH became by far the worst damage dealer and progressing hero. That did not change, what changed in RoS is that Marauder set and the continuous buffs to pets across all classes. If you have a DH in RoS and geared it progressively like i did you remember your transition from not having the 6 set, to having it. Its literally night and day, just before putting it on you couldnt farm torment 4 because things died to slowly and then T6 is a free farm eye closed elite packs explodes before you have 3 sentry up.

Every single of your sentry is more powerful then the demon hunter itself. It has infinite ressources, is only limited by very short cooldown if using 3 spenders will spam spells until it despawn at interval, literally unending DPS, which a DH could never match. Infact you couldnt even do 2-3 rotation of ability in the time a single of your sentry does it without running out of hatered. Now multiply it by 5.

DH is terrible baseline, its only good with variation of Marauder set, since its actually easy to get the full set, the class is literally balanced with the set in mind for now. The only other part is the quiver, which you dont need to start farming well, but once you have its good and its super easy to get from kadala. Weapons are another strong point of marauder, you dont need anything specific, sure things like atreyu for a frost/rocket builds or slow crossbow in general are a good idea, but overall the build is never broken due to a weapon, unlike a crusader.

DH is made or broken by very specific items. Which are all easy to get mind you. Because of that most players will feel it is the weakest class if they dont put in the time to finish the set, with the set it is the easiest and most powerful solo class right now and it also does very well in group with other classes that improves your damage, infact along with WD, DH is pretty much mandatory for high level greater rifts. The constant damage from range is unmatched and you bring a 30% damage buff on a short cooldown.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2014-11-07 at 12:23 AM.

My DH alt, sentry one. Average roll's on all gear, bad weapons etc. Nothing much, but it works just fine anywho.

But its to booring to play, you just wait on sentry CD and never get to use you're own stuff exspect for placements.

Im sure this is the best spec if you have better gear than me.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post

But its to booring to play, you just wait on sentry CD
    this is my biggest gripe with M6 play. I also play dual totems in PoE which is basically the same thing. There is no cooldown and the only thing limiting how fast you drop new totems is your mana. But the CD on sentry just slows the game down too much. Also the fact they cant be killed is just as lame. Id rather have a no cooldown sentry but they can be killed. I mean where is the challenge if its basically impossible to die because you have unkillable pets that snare everything on screen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pet classes are always the easiest imo, anytime a NPC can do a bulk of the damage it makes for easier gameplay, therefore the WD is the easiest. I don't like the term worst, so the most difficult class would be DH, as they have little mitigation and have to balance both hatred and discipline in order to succeed. Then again this is why DH is one of the most rewarding as well. I will say that the DH doesn't have the most compelling talents and builds though. It would be cool if the DH had lets say a good blade build, a leech build, and maybe a poison build. The Monk took over as my favorite as they seem to be almost perfect when it comes to really cool builds and talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanian View Post
    Pet classes are always the easiest imo, anytime a NPC can do a bulk of the damage it makes for easier gameplay, therefore the WD is the easiest.
    With a statement like that I am lead to believe you have never played a Witch Doctor... or at least not for very long.

i find the Monk the easiest and like the WD aswell. i dont like the Wizard much, but i guess everything is personal.

I main a Barbarian. I've always been more drawn to melee classes.

I find Demon Hunter to be the easiest class to play, but it's also somewhat boring for me.

Wizards and witch doctors are hardest for me to play, but I've never been that great with casters in general (in any game).
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-01-18 at 05:26 PM.

I absolutely hate DH, mostly because it is the class that probably has the most resource starvation out of them all and I hate feeling resource starved, i'm gonna be playing a WW barb in season 2. I played a infinite disintegrate wizard and a blessed shield crusader during season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed both.