Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Open handbreak and don't fiddle with the settings if you want it to have same quality but lower size, if you want to split it into more parts you will have to follow a guide on that. But you should be fine with the "normal" preset under "Regular".

If you start messing with settings the output becomes terrible because the settings have to be perfect compatible with each other to get a good output.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you try some older version of vegas studios?
    I have no problem with it (it can crash sometimes when you change words tho).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have Fraps installed. =S

Basically when I open up Sony Movie Studio 13 HD Platinum (apparently 11 may have been better for this) and try to open up one of the .avi Fraps files, it just completely freezes the program.
    There a lot of fixes for that, but it's impossible to post it here as there are countless of reasons of why it doesn't work. Last time I fixed it for myself I tried 13 "fixes" and had spent around 9 hours googling for it.

Wonder if Movie Studio 12 is better than 13 in some regards...
    Could very well be. Probably too much work trying to reinstall windows to see if that helps, it fixes most software issues
    Tried asking google if anybody else have problems with v13 and fraps?

Too bad Sony Movie Studio is so damn finicky and unstable, because I really prefer it's UI over competition.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-09-21 at 08:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Open handbreak and don't fiddle with the settings if you want it to have same quality but lower size, if you want to split it into more parts you will have to follow a guide on that. But you should be fine with the "normal" preset under "Regular".

If you start messing with settings the output becomes terrible because the settings have to be perfect compatible with each other to get a good output.
    Yes I started out with regular.

It made the video unplayable, for whatever stupid reason.

And sorry, messing with the settings only makes the video terrible if you don't have a clue what you're doing.

I've been doing this for 5 years, I've had a lot of trial and error, but this is one issue that's stuck around for super long videos. In the past I used to not be able to do long videos anyways, because YouTube had that stupid 15 minute restriction, it was after that was lifted that I started tinkering with longer, especially after getting the GTX 760 and trying out Skyrim again. 1 hour long Skyrim video? It'll play uncompressed, but compress it and change the file type, the bitrate has to go very low. It makes no sense.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Is it possible you have somehow broken version of handbrake which messes up if you select some high bitrate option from it? Or you manually entering numbers to it? (Don't remember how it works, not using it. RipBot264 is my choice of GUI for x264).

Especially the "profile" setting is important for compatibility and going above "high 4.0" is poorly supported.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I thought I'd said before but I'll say it again (or for the first time) this is a problem that has also been present after rendering videos in Windows Movie Maker. It's all about the actual length of the video and size. Bitrate has a huge effect on, in the end, if it works or not. Wish you could come here, I'd let you tinker with it a bit and see it in person.

As for the Googling bit, I had Googled and some people had the problem of Movie Studio not opening Fraps files, that's where I read about HandBrake.
    "A flower.

It's all about the actual length of the video and size.
    Time or size on disc? Found out which of the two is the problem?
    Or bitrate?

Time is least likely I guess, not many reasons why that would be a problem.
    Size on disc could be a problem if you have disc failure which will be reached when the video file is certain size.
    Bitrate some weird problem where mobo or mobo drivers fail if your sustained data transfer goes over some unknown limit.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-09-21 at 08:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the weird part... A short 5 minute video will play with 15 mbps bitrate, but an hour long needs to be something like 6-7 mbps otherwise I get that error I posted earlier. I daresay it comes down to the size on the disc, but at the same time, how would that make sense when I can play fully uncompressed videos? O_o
    "A flower.

That's the weird part... A short 5 minute video will play with 15 mbps bitrate, but an hour long needs to be something like 6-7 mbps otherwise I get that error I posted earlier. I daresay it comes down to the size on the disc, but at the same time, how would that make sense when I can play fully uncompressed videos? O_o
    Most likely explanation would be compression error so maybe try different version of Handbrake in case yours is bugged, or some totally different GUI for the x264.

Sony Movie Studio problems with fraps is probably something totally unrelated. You can find older versions to try from here in case it's ver13 related shit you're experiencing. Ver12 is still easily obtainable (and cheap) if you decide to go that way.
    Last edited by fixx; 2014-09-21 at 09:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That still doesn't explain why the same issue has happened in the past with Windows Movie Maker...
    "A flower.

That still doesn't explain why the same issue has happened in the past with Windows Movie Maker...
    True... Maybe playback codec then? Install latest stable FFDShow? VLC will bypass all codecs and show the videos even if codecs was the problem though.

And WMM saves into WMV not mp4... aargh... it's weird shit you're having with the computer. Really weird. Or are you using AVI as a container for the recompressing?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, all files are being changed after compression, nothing is staying as .avi

VLC has never been able to play the videos.

=/
    "A flower.

Ever tried if you can use normally other file types of similar size? Probably doesnt happen that often but cloning boot drive to new SSD via image file for example would be a case when you handle few hundred GB long files.

Or maybe tried to download or rip a BD movie bigger than 10GB to see if those videos play back without a hitch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Big files aren't necessarily a problem, as I've said I can play the uncompressed 200GB .avi file that this movie starts out as. :P

- - - Updated - - -

On the subject of Fraps footage in Sony Movie studio...

Movie Studio 11 HD Platinum opened up a Fraps video in literally less than a second, no hiccups.

But it's a 32 bit program and obviously a little dated!

I'll have to try 12 next.
    "A flower.

Did you tick the "Large file sizes" box in Handbrake? In my experience it will go through the encoding process fine either way, but if you don't tick the box and the file size is too big, the file is just unplayable. The documentation suggests ticking the box toggles 64-bit support in the MP4 container itself (in the output file, in other words) so the fact that you can open the 200gig AVI wouldn't mean this solution won't help.

I ran into this issue when I was encoding my Blu-Ray collection and it was frustrating as hell to have to go through the encoding process again, so I don't envy you. I do think it will help though.
    Last edited by Xar226; 2014-09-23 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome thank you! I'll try that tonight. I honestly figured it would just make it a bigger file and basically go completely against what I need. lol
    "A flower.