Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Euro 2020 (soccer) the first true union event?

Euro 2020 will be the first competition hosted by different cities all around europe

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/ne...d=1844904.html

Final and semi-finals
    England/London

Three group games, one quarter-final
    Azerbaijan/Baku
    Germany/Munich
    Italy/Rome
    Russia/Saint Petersburg

Three group games, one round of 16 game
    Belgium/Brussels
    Denmark/Copenhagen
    Hungary/Budapest
    Netherlands/Amsterdam
    Republic of Ireland/Dublin
    Romania/Bucharest
    Scotland/Glasgow
    Spain/Bilbao
    i'm sincerely excited by this a first sign of the union moving to be a real state.

thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    Euro 2020 will be the first competition hosted by different cities all around europe

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/ne...d=1844904.html

i'm sincerely excited by this a first sign of the union moving to be a real state.

thoughts?

It's not a Union event, it's a UEFA event. There were some shared cups already, none of those countries formed a political union.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to see that the semis and final will be in London, as it's the closest any of the Home Nations will get to being in either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Good to see that the semis and final will be in London, as it's the closest any of the Home Nations will get to being in either.
    Not sure if that's more funny or more sad

At least we have the rugby next year in my home town!
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post

thoughts?
    Notice the Russia/Azerbaijan parts? Unfortunately, this is not a Union event. And unfortunately, don't expect a federation any time soon. By the time we're all retired, maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about it, it's a bit disappointing if they do this regularly.

Hosting competitions usually means lesser clubs in the host nation get their stadiums renovated, or a new one built, with the help of their FA/government, as they often can't afford to do it themselves, e.g. Man City (before they struck oil) and West Ham both benefitted from hosting international sporting events. London's venue will be Wembley, so the crappy grounds, like White Hart Lane, won't be upgraded and their teams will have to continue playing in squalor.

Yes, I typed all that just to have a dig at Spurs.

I don't understand why UEFA chose a russian city, as Russia and Europe are on very bad terms at the moment. But I guess money played a part in it.

Deleted
    Nah, Russia, Azerbaijan and England (after 2017) aren't in the EU. Nothing to do with some kind of superstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael123 View Post
    I don't understand why UEFA chose a russian city, as Russia and Europe are on very bad terms at the moment. But I guess money played a part in it.
    Cause football russian federation is part of the UEFA all clubs already play in union competitions, like champions league and euro league

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Nah, Russia, Azerbaijan and England (after 2017) aren't in the EU. Nothing to do with some kind of superstate.
    Russia and Azerbaijan probably but UK will be in for sure.
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Thinking about it, it's a bit disappointing if they do this regularly.

Hosting competitions usually means lesser clubs in the host nation get their stadiums renovated, or a new one built, with the help of their FA/government, as they often can't afford to do it themselves, e.g. Man City (before they struck oil) and West Ham both benefitted from hosting international sporting events. London's venue will be Wembley, so the crappy grounds, like White Hart Lane, won't be upgraded and their teams will have to continue playing in squalor.

Yes, I typed all that just to have a dig at Spurs.
    We'd have been fine if West Ham hadn't up and nicked the Olympic Stadium. Our new stand will be up in 2017 though, we'll put the Emirates to shame yet.

Deleted
    I really don't understand the Azerbaijan choice. Their team is beyond bad (#93), and Azerbaijan is like 1000 miles away from other countries. It's neighbouring country is fucking IRAN!!!! I could understand if they qualified, but chances are they won't and as such other nations fans will have to travel all the way to Baku, which is several thousand miles away, to see their team. Say Denmark and Iceland qualify and they have to play in Baku the stadium is going to be half empty, I seriously doubt that the people in Azerbaijan are going to wanna watch that game.

Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2014-09-20 at 07:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully they won't cock it up and make them do too much travelling. The Azerbaijan and St Petersburg games worry me for that.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    This is what I thought aswell. Feels really wierd to give this to Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's Portugal in all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I really don't understand the Azerbaijan choice. Their team is beyond bad (#93), and Azerbaijan is like 1000 miles away from other countries. It's neighbouring country is fucking IRAN!!!! I could understand if they qualified, but chances are they won't and as such other nations fans will have to travel all the way to Baku, which is several thousand miles away, to see their team. Say Denmark and Iceland qualify and they have to play in Baku the stadium is going to be half empty, I seriously doubt that the people in Azerbaijan are going to wanna watch that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    This is what I thought aswell. Feels really wierd to give this to Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    every euro country had the right to submit application to one of the packages, this is the list of the cities candidates for the first package not including semi finals and finals:

The member associations/cities that submitted bid dossiers for the standard package are, in alphabetical order: Azerbaijan (Baku), Belarus (Minsk), Belgium (Brussels), Bulgaria (Sofia), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (London), Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje), Germany (Munich), Hungary (Budapest), Israel (Jerusalem), Italy (Rome), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Romania (Bucharest), Russia (Saint Petersburg), Scotland (Glasgow), Spain (Bilbao), Sweden (Stockholm), Wales (Cardiff).
    and for the semi finals/final

England (London) and Germany (Munich)
    a country and a city need to meet certain parameter this is why did you see those city and not a portugal one for example.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/...1_DOWNLOAD.pdf

that pdf explain the requirements to place a bid on one of the package.

Yea, thousands of miles of traveling. Because why not? Fuck the footballers who have to train under stable conditions to perform at their best.

Azerbaijan is also since when in Europe? Isn't it a transcontinental country, but Asian territory?

- - - Updated - - -

Sports and Politics shouldn't be mixed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Azerbaijan is also since when in Europe? Isn't it a transcontinental country, but Asian territory?
    It isn't an European country, but they are members of UEFA. There is more competitiveness for their clubs and national team, and there could be other good reasons for being part of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Same place as France i guess...

don't host it in 2 of the best footballing nations in Europe, but host it in azerbijan and russia...

Deleted
    Whoa, Romania got to host some matches!? When did the existence of my country become public information?!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post
    Whoa, Romania got to host some matches!? When did the existence of my country become public information?!
    UKIP made them famous.