Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Wastelands 2 Just came out today on Steam

If you loved Fallout 1 and 2, you will probably love Wastelands 2. So far I am loving the game.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

After 26 damned years...

We rejoice.

I backed the Planescape Kickstarter so I had to go and claim mine from the site. (wish they'd had the foresight to post an update that wastelands 2 was now live after the !@#$all forever 'early access' on steam)

Spent about 15-20 minutes in it, and the text font/size and general UI is kinda annoying. The character I created had an ok hit chance, but the 3 premades couldnt hit for @!#$.

The skills & stats werent exactly as intuitive as the average RPG either, and I had difficulty trying to come up with a 'concept' for my character to follow.

The Red Boots DLC is awesome tho.

It's fantastic. Totally freakin' fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's fantastic. Totally freakin' fantastic.
    Haha, yeah man, it is an outstanding game. A must have if you dig RPGs and I love the post-apocalyptic theme
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Deleted
    Its ok, not as polished as the past/new Xcom but pretty fun, even though some of the mission are pretty vague- Go here and use this on that? kinda missions, where? and use what on what!!!

Anywho anyone on the prison, I have managed to get passes the Big boss mans turrets, and now have a mine fields and gives me impossible to disarm message, even though one of my guys is maxed in demo?

Xcom is a totally different genre than Wasteland.

The Xcom series are tactical strategy games.

Wasteland is a CRPG.

Loved Fallout. Gonna have to pick this one up…even though I can't afford more games for a while yet

Deleted
    Xcom is a totally different genre than Wasteland.

The Xcom series are tactical strategy games.

Wasteland is a CRPG.
    Same, they have closer similarities then fucking pak-man and Assassin's Creed, both top down turn based game- stop complicating things..

have you actually played this..?

anywho done the mines thing was pretty easy actually, shame the game sucks though, typical kickstarter/ early access rubbish..
    Last edited by mmoc1b038f5651; 2014-09-20 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MossEs View Post
    Same, they have closer similarities then fucking pak-man and Assassin's Creed, both top down turn based game- stop complicating things..
    Um... that makes no sense. Genres define the characteristics and expectations of a given media.

Many games can have pilotable automobiles, but that wouldn't make them all racing games in the Racer genre of video games.

Games should be complicated. Especially how we think and talk about video games.

have you actually played this..?
    Yes? I don't understand your question or relevance.

10+ Year Old Account
    That game has been on steam for months. Unless you mean it finally came out of early access then yes.

I'm looking forward to playing it, it's just that in this day and age I can't justify spending that kind of money on a game. Steam has spoiled me, anything over $19.99 is just too much. I mean, I'm sure it is well worth the money, but I can get two other games I'm interested in for that price, or three if you want the digital deluxe version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

That game has been on steam for months. Unless you mean it finally came out of early access then yes.
    Yea, Wasteland had it's release a couple of days ago. So the game is out now from early access.

Just in case anyone wandering by might be confused.

Yeah, it is not early access beta, it is full release.

Quote Originally Posted by MossEs View Post
    shame the game sucks though, typical kickstarter/ early access rubbish..
    Except it doesn't, and it isn't the typical Kickstarter rubbish. Funny how that works.

Deleted
    *cheap production values.
    *horrid character models - they remind me of Dungeon Siege back in 2002.
    *the story is a middle school essay.
    *very few RPG elements other than the skill system. Let's face it, the focus is on combat here, not on any story influenced by meaningful choices, complex conversations or relations between characters. The characters in the party are completely inert, they never interact with eachother nor have any minds or personalities of their own. If you expected a top-down Mass Effect you will be sorely disappointed.

But then this is to be expected from a kickstarter project.

The game resembles the old Fallout Tactics a lot more than Fallout 1&2. And Fallout Tactics sucked.

I give it a 7/10. Average.
    Last edited by mmoc2f1c1a3151; 2014-09-21 at 08:59 AM.

*cheap production values.
    The money they are funded is what they work with.

*horrid character models - they remind me of Dungeon Siege back in 2002.
    Again; not too much funding. But they are also supposed to look that way; Wasteland is a CRPG reminiscent of D&D sessions. The characters resemble board pieces.

*the story is a middle school essay.
    It's about the experience of running a 5 man A-team. Story is usually crap in these types of games. But that doesn't matter.

*very few RPG elements other than the skill system. Let's face it, the focus is on combat here, not on any story influenced by meaningful choices, complex conversations or relations between characters. The characters in the party are completely inert, they never interact with eachother nor have any minds or personalities of their own. If you expected a top-down Mass Effect you will be sorely disappointed.
    With this statement; you've quite obviously don't have a full understanding of RPGs. Wasteland is a real old school CRPG the likes of Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, & Planescape. The story doesn't have to be influenced by meaningful choices (BG, the most critically acclaimed RPG of all time, didn't really have any for the plot). Conversations are not apart of Wasteland, but that doesn't unmake it an RPG. And Mass Effect isn't a true RPG (It's an RPG all right; not the one most people talk about on these forums). It's an action-RPG.

But then this is to be expected from a kickstarter project.
    Your damned right about that. But just because it's an amateur production doesn't mean it isn't great.

The game resembles the old Fallout Tactics a lot more than Fallout 1&2. And Fallout Tactics sucked.
    It's not modeled after Fallout; it's modeled after the original Wasteland. Deal with it.

I give it a 7/10. Average.
    And everyone's entitled to an opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeven View Post
    If you expected a top-down Mass Effect you will be sorely disappointed.
    This made me laugh .

Loving everything about the game so far, although I'm only an hour or two past the beta content so could turn to shit quickly . I enjoy the combat although it seems like the cover mechanic is almost useless/unnecessary, I'm guessing it'll become more important going into the second half of the game when the power of weapons shoots up. As for the story, it may be unoriginal at it's base (90% of games are) but I still like the way it's delivered and I personally like the characters and the setting.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

7 out of 10 is above average. These comments are nonsensical.

What in the...

7 out of 10 is above average. These comments are nonsensical.

What in the...
    Not really these days every game scores 5-8 which is the yardstick for average.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Not really these days every game scores 5-8 which is the yardstick for average.
    Eh, even in ye olde days of PC gaming 80% was okay-ish (nothing to write home about) percentage. Scores, scores never change.

I was looking forward to this game, sadly won't be able to play it till december or so, glad to see it turned out well (small production values never bothered me much, FTL has graphics on par with first Mario and I've played the crap out of it).