(WoD) Comet storm is lacking, and it needs to change.

Intro:
    ''As we all know if you've been playing Frost on the Beta, Prismatic Crystal is just better than Comet Storm at everything... I know Comet Storm probably isn't tuned properly yet, but how are they supposed to balance it next to Prismatic Crystal without buffing the damage of Comet Storm too much? ''

Rambling/info:
    ''I mean, Comet Storm will probably always just do more or less damage than Prismatic Crystal at all times.
    Both spells are Single target, or split AoE..
    Comet storm is 7 comets with damage split between 4 yards of your Target.
    Prismatic crystal is your Single target damage, plus 30% more. Damage is split between all targets between 8 yards.''

The splitting Mechanic:
    ''The two Talents have the same Damage Splitting Mechanic, besides Comet Storm just being the abillity alone, it inflicting a set ammount of damage with 7 Comets Single target or as split AE if more targets nearby... Prismatic crystal buffs your Single Target damage by 30% if 1 target nearby, or splits it to everything between 8 yards if more targets... Meaning if there are 10 mobs near it, and you do 100k damage to the crystal you do 10k to each target around it.''

To the fans:
    ''I didn't do any extensive math on the spells, so correct me if i'm wrong. This is just how i think it is/ understand it, i am not stating it as facts.''

Quotes:
    ''I'm guessing that Blizzard wants Prismatic Crystal to be stronger than Comet Storm since PC requires more planning, and Comet Storm is just a push of a button, then you deal all the damage automaticly.
    Because the only way i see Comet Storm being an somewhat viable choice, is if they add something more to the spell.''

So, i came up with this idea/Imaginary tooltip:
    ''Glaciate: Enemies caught in the Comet Storm will erode in a glacier incapacitated for 1.5 sec. Any Frost spell will trigger the release of a tide of bursting Glaciation, causing the Glaciate effect to explode dealing (300% of Spell power) Frost damage to the target and (150% of Spell power) Frost damage to all other enemies within 10 yards.''

Trying to explaining my Idea:
    ''This new effect for Comet Storm that i just made up should Synergize well with Ice Lance, Cone of cold, aswell as Blizzard (The Ol'School Channeled AE, to avoid confusion).
    With my idea, and imagination this should Freeze targets that are vulnerable to CC just like Ring of Frost would.. Just with shiny new visual Glacier like effect surrounding the targets afflicted.''

More explaining:
    ''Glaciate should work on CC immune targets, without the freeze, making Comet Storm a proper choice for CC immune Bosses.''

Simply going on about it:
    ''Comet Storm has a badass visual, so it needs to be strong enough to scare your opponents.
    The Glaciate effect should be powerful, even in PvP. It should make your opponents try to not stay too close, to avoid the Glaciate chain burst damage. So if 7 people in Ahrand are clumped up, you should be able to Comet Storm them all for the Glaciate freeze, then quickly cone of cold them making the Glaciate chain explosions one-shot them all. #Breakingtherules''

Balance:
    ''To avoid it being way to op, it should add small circles ontop of the targets it's about to hit indicating that it will land on you in 0.5 sec or whatever... Giving your opponent time to pop Divine shield/blink out of it, and what not.''

Quote:
    ''Blizzard might not want to make it as powerful as i want, but it's all in my dreams. I am just sharing my idea guys, hope you like it.''

Comet Storm VS Blizzard:
    ''And, about the Prismatic Crystal VS Comet storm debate... PS should be about enhancing your single target, and dealing great sustain AE with Frozen Orb up. CS should be about crazy burst aoe if you get to trigger the explosions on everything caused by glacier, with any instant spell cone of cold/blizzard/lance etc...

Last Comet/crystal comment/opinion:
    ''Comet storm crystals can do mediocre damage alone, but if you trigger the Glacier explosions it will do ridiculous damage if chained. Great for killing adds, and clumped up players in pvp.
    Crystal can be better for Dealing with 1-3 targets over time, while CS is more bursty with less cd.''

Additional Quote:
    '' I really like choice. I feel the talent system doesn't provide me with choice particularly well... There is always the superior option.''

End of post:
    ''Sorry for the long, and poorly written post. <3 I am trying my best... English is not my primary language. Was just sitting here brainstorming for awhile, hope all of you understand my idea.

I also tweeted this to Celestalon. It has far less info, but i think it's worth a retweet! https://twitter.com/ZippyTehZip/stat...49453831372801 ''

Copied my own post from the Beta feedback forum: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12131133222
    So, if you like my idea please post there aswell.
    Last edited by Winkleslob; 2014-09-21 at 12:25 AM.

PC gets buffed for Frost specifically and CS remains untouched.

I mean, you could pretty much sum up all discussion to ^ at this point in time, since it seems like feedback falls on deaf ears.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    PC gets buffed for Frost specifically and CS remains untouched.

I mean, you could pretty much sum up all discussion to ^ at this point in time, since it seems like feedback falls on deaf ears.
    I just really hope they do something with CS like my brainstorm above.

Otherwise it will just be another boring button to press off cd with pretty visuals that doesn't really mean anything.

I've sent a bit of feedback to Blizzard before... While i have no proof, i claim to be the guy behind Blizz making 'Blizzard' (AE spell) reduce the cd of Frozen orb by 1 sec for each target it hits. I sent that as feedback to them about a year ago, and now it has gotten added to WoD. prob coincidence. But, you'll never know.
    Last edited by Winkleslob; 2014-09-20 at 11:46 AM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I feel you're quite over complicating the solution. It'd be just as easy to add Mastery's percent to it, and quite clever given TV favours Haste.

I want to use it too, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkleslob View Post
    I just really hope they do something with CS like my brainstorm above.

Otherwise it will just be another boring button to press off cd with pretty visuals that doesn't really mean anything.
    I found it odd that it was the only ability that dealt damage and had nothing else (and even more sad was that it split damage as well). Now that Meteor has Ignite and can make some decent Combustions (requires timing), and Arcane Orb generates charges (mechanic-changing), CS is the odd one out, but what can it do? Give 1 FoF and BF maybe? (with a longer CD perhaps)
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

15+ Year Old Account
    Give 1 FoF and BF maybe? (with a longer CD perhaps)
    No plz. So many sources of free FoF, and BF will become really common with a bit of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    I feel you're quite over complicating the solution. It'd be just as easy to add Mastery's percent to it, and quite clever given TV favours Haste.

My solution probably sounds complicated, and excuse my writing wich probably makes it sound more confusing.

Just think of CS adding a 1.5 sec Dur OP WoD Frost Bomb like effect that explodes on any frost damage impact. Making it very powerful if CS gets the debuff up on 7 targets, chaining all the explosions with CoC/Blizzard etc.

The only thing I find problematic is that PC seems to become the universal best choice due to its mechanic alone. It has the potential to be a lot better than any other talent of that tier for every Mage spec, and frankly it's getting even more ridiculous with more gear while the other talents tend to stay quite static with a few situational exceptions. At least they should tune it so that we don't have the exact same situation as with MoP's level 90 tier again, where you mathematically only had one valid choice at any given time.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-09-20 at 11:55 AM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkleslob View Post
    Making it very powerful if CS gets the debuff up on 7 targets, chaining all the explosions with CoC/Blizzard etc.
    You're conflating the point of the ability with that direction, however. It's primarily a single target boost, not an AOE skill per se. Also we then have to deal with 4y circles vs hitting as many mobs as possible with it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea, I just feel that it's too complex a solution while also being perhaps not quite enough for its intended purpose in a single target situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    The only thing I find problematic is that PC seems to become the universal best choice due to its mechanic alone. It has the potential to be a lot more better than any other talent of that tier for every Mage spec, and frankly it's getting even more ridiculous with more gear while the other talents tend to stay quite static with a few situational exceptions. At least they should tune it so that we don't have the exact same situation as with MoP's level 90 tier again.
    True, and they will just nerf it to the point that it's just useless.

Blizzard really doesn't know how to 'Balance' choices. There will always be the flavour of the month talent sadly. :/

- - - Updated - - -

You're conflating the point of the ability with that direction, however. It's primarily a single target boost, not an AOE skill per se. Also we then have to deal with 4y circles vs hitting as many mobs as possible with it.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea, I just feel that it's too complex a solution while also being perhaps not quite enough for its intended purpose in a single target situation.
    Thanks for liking my idea!

For single target you would just want to Ice lance to trigger Glaciate explosion. It doesn't necessarily have to require extra targets to be decent. Though i feel the only way to make it a good option to burst down some adds or what not, and then add some extra utility to it with the freeze, will make it a nice option to PC.
    The single target can be strong, but not as strong as PC overall. You can cast CS twice as often, balancing it out a bit. I want it to be about burst, and PC more about bursty sustain, with a longer cd i guess.
    Last edited by Winkleslob; 2014-09-20 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    The only thing I find problematic is that PC seems to become the universal best choice due to its mechanic alone. It has the potential to be a lot better than any other talent of that tier for every Mage spec, and frankly it's getting even more ridiculous with more gear while the other talents tend to stay quite static with a few situational exceptions. At least they should tune it so that we don't have the exact same situation as with MoP's level 90 tier again, where you mathematically only had one valid choice at any given time.
    PC is not the best source since cleaves and dot spreads no longer work for it. It's damage is way down now, you informaion is obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    PC is not the best source since cleaves and dot spreads no longer work for it. It's damage is way down now, you informaion is obsolete
    Well it still does all your single target + extra 30% or was it 50% now, damage, and splits it as aoe. Unless i missed something.

It's pretty hard to compete with that for both other options.
    Last edited by Winkleslob; 2014-09-20 at 12:25 PM.
    *Waiting for Artifact Knowledge work orders*

Then it continues to just be a damaging spell with no other benefit while literally all other L100 talents have some kind of mechanic tied to them. Seems odd that CS wouldn't while the other 6 would.

- - - Updated - - -

Fire with 4P still is I believe, and they just buffed Frost's PC damage to 50%; CS and TV still underperforming.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still wrecks face for Frost, however.

Then it continues to just be a damaging spell with no other benefit while literally all other L100 talents have some kind of mechanic tied to them. Seems odd that CS wouldn't while the other 6 would.
    Sure, but to be honest? I'm okay with that. It's the embodiment of Deep Freeze's old damage component, just split across 7 impacts. Throw mastery% added damage to it, and it might as well be DF.

CS and TV still underperforming.
    I believe Komma was saying he had an idea that almost had TV on par with PC, but I haven't seen how the sims played out, or if he even ran them.

Sure, but to be honest? I'm okay with that. It's the embodiment of Deep Freeze's old damage component, just split across 7 impacts. Throw mastery% added damage to it, and it might as well be DF.
    I guess...? If they can manage to keep it somehow in line with PC and TV somehow.

I believe Komma was saying he had an idea that almost had TV on par with PC, but I haven't seen how the sims played out, or if he even ran them.
    I'll believes it when I sees it

7+ Year Old Account
    Comet Storm need to be a HUGE burst cooldown (Well, it's a damn COMET, geez).
    They throw a very good epic in concept spell, but with their(devs) flawed logic, ends to be an shit implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravester View Post
    They throw a very good epic in concept spell, but with their(devs) flawed logic, ends to be an shit implementation.
    The saddest thing is that it does the least total damage (on AoE) and doesn't affect mechanics like AO and Meteor do. On ST, it only beats out AO, but that's to be expected because AO also gives 2 charges every time (unless you miss and hit 0 targets like a baddie).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravester View Post
    Buff the Comet Storm damage, add a debuff similar to what i describe in the OP 'Glaciate'. and, increase the cd... Make the damn thing a sensible choice, an option. Not just something for min-maxing the deeps, but just something a little more than flat damage.
    *Waiting for Artifact Knowledge work orders*

10+ Year Old Account
    Make it trigger Brain Freeze. Problem solved.

Frost does not need any more development attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Personally I think alot of items (across all classes) are going to need a pass, however Blizzard needs to get this baby birthed. Meaning items like Comet Storm won't see any attention until after the expansion is released.