Vegas Pro 9 having its RAM usage capped somehow

As of lately, Vegas Pro 9 has been running extremely slow and laggy, seemingly because its RAM usage is being capped somehow.

In the past it would run fine, but in recent weeks when I go to use it, almost any action freezes the program for 5-15 seconds. Adding a video, splitting a video, moving a video clip on the timeline, etc...everything lags/freezes the program.

I looked in Task Manager and it seems the process is only using 40,000k memory, whereas it's usually at 300,000k memory, or more. (I've got 8GB memory installed, in case you're wondering)

I tried a fresh install, completely removing it, rebooting and then reinstalling it, but the problem persists. Tried using CCleaner after uninstalling to maybe clean up the registry, and then reinstalled, still nothing.

Any ideas what's forcing Vegas to use very little memory? That seems to be the problem, as far as I can tell.

Googling for answers didn't help; all of the stuff I found was problems with slow rendering or slow preview, but my problem is that the *entire program* is running very slow and laggy.

Nevermind, upgraded to Vegas Pro 13 and everything is fine now.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2014-09-23 at 09:43 PM.

I use Vegas Pro 9 (cracked version) too and experienced this a while back. I remember uninstalling, clearing registry with CC Cleaner, reinstalling and then I think it worked.

I actually don't have it installed atm, but I remember from options there's some memory options you can modify to tell it to cache things and how to use the RAM. You can also clear RAM I think of currently cached videos.

Otherwise do you experience this problem with other programs? May be a hardware issue (memory leak) but you'd get plenty of blue screens and beeps at start-up by now if that was the case.

A quick try to make it work would be to make it run in compatibility mode? Right click its icon, properties, compatibility tab and run it in compatibility for XP SP3. Or before that make sure the checkbox is checked at the bottom "run as administrator".

Vegas Pro 9 is lovely to use but can be a pain in the ass to fix sometimes. Do you have a lot of movies in the library already? Try clearing every movie/sound/song and just loading one for testing and see if it still freezes, but make sure you run as administrator first, then try the same thing with compatibility on if the admin trick doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesclaypool View Post
    I use Vegas Pro 9 (cracked version) too and experienced this a while back. I remember uninstalling, clearing registry with CC Cleaner, reinstalling and then I think it worked.
    Yeah, that's heh, that's what I'm using too. I'll try running CCleaner and doing another fresh install then.

I actually don't have it installed atm, but I remember from options there's some memory options you can modify to tell it to cache things and how to use the RAM. You can also clear RAM I think of currently cached videos.
    Yeah, I read about stuff like that, but from what I could tell, RAM stuff was for something like live-preview rendering or something like that. I messed around with it and it didn't seem to fix anything.

Otherwise do you experience this problem with other programs? May be a hardware issue (memory leak) but you'd get plenty of blue screens and beeps at start-up by now if that was the case.
    Nope, it's just Vegas. I've had RAM issues in the past, but fixed them had have had no bluescreens or odd POST beeps since; no problems in general.

A quick try to make it work would be to make it run in compatibility mode? Right click its icon, properties, compatibility tab and run it in compatibility for XP SP3. Or before that make sure the checkbox is checked at the bottom "run as administrator".
    I'm already using the Administrator account (as it's the *only* account on the computer) but I don't think that's the issue. I've been using Vegas 9 Pro on this computer for years and the problems just started happening recently.

Do you have a lot of movies in the library already? Try clearing every movie/sound/song and just loading one for testing and see if it still freezes, but make sure you run as administrator first, then try the same thing with compatibility on if the admin trick doesn't work.
    I actually don't keep anything in the library, I just add what I need for each project and then clear them out afterward.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm...uninstalled, rebooted, ran CCleaner on the registry, then reinstalled...problem still persists.

Tried running as Administrator anyway, and using Compatibility for Vista (XP wasn't listed), still nothing.

I did notice that it was now using 67,000k memory, instead of 40,000k, but it's still extremely slow and laggy. It's usually at 300,000k or higher.

Oh Vegas Vegas Vegas...you worthwhile piece of badly optimized garbage.

I'll install mine tomorrow see what I can see, I've been putting it off until I build a new computer since on my current one it's too slow to even think about using HD videos, just trying to trim something takes like 20 seconds every time I click a new frame.

Found this somewhere:

"In Preferences - turn off thumbnails and frame numbering. In audio device tab - if it;s not already selected, try Microsoft Sound Mapper and see if there's a difference. (I had a Tascam ASIO audio device installed and using it caused a big hit in performance for some reason) I also found I could gain a few fps in playback by unchecking "Use project output rotation setting" in the Preview Device tab when monitoring on the secondary display.

I also found that the Vegas app would sometimes remain running as a process even after a successful exit of the program. I once found when Vegas was running slow, there were 3 instances still showing as active processes in Task Manager. I experienced the lag in screen updating while typing text when this was happening. Never experienced this behavior on my newer WIn7 machine.

There's a lot more detailed info in this forum about preference settings that you should search for, but these few adjustments helped me get Vegas 9/64 usable on a slower system with minimal RAM.

Good luck,
    Larry"

Thanks Larry, also, this may sound so typically bland, but try updating video drivers? Who knows?
    Last edited by Lesclaypool; 2014-09-23 at 01:37 AM.

For what it's worth, the video preview is also extremely slow and choppy as well, playing at about 4-5 frames per second.

For some reason, something seems to be limiting Vegas' RAM usage, but I have no idea what. Like I said, it's usually over 300k ram usage, but now it's sticking around 40-60k no matter what I do.

Maybe a windows update messed it up somehow, I was reading on the Sony Vegas forums just now people telling Windows 8.1 users to uninstall the latest security updates because they were giving Vegas 11 or 12 blue screens?

Oh HEY! Unplug from the Internet and disable antivirus/firefall/windows defender/every other security program, see if that works.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way if that doesn't work, my last suggestion is try launching it directly from the program folder instead of the shortcut in your Start Menu.

Right click the vegas90pro or whatever it's called icon in the folder and "Run as Administrator". I know you're already administrator but Windows has this fucked up problem since XP or Vista where it doesn't matter whether you're sole user and Administrator, "Running as Administrator" still gives you more privileges sometimes (don't ask).

Gonna go to sleep for now hope this works.

Tried to install the 32-bit version, but it kept giving me "the number you entered is invalid" when entering the long customer support number.

I haven't run Windows Update in a couple months, and the problem just started a couple weeks ago, so I don't think updates are the problem either.

The only antivirus I have is Kaspersky, and I've had it for years and it has never interfered with anything, Vegas included. I tried turning it off and disconnecting internet though, still nothing.

This is a RAM problem. Something is capping Vegas' RAM usage at a very low amount, and that is causing the slowdown/lag, because it doesn't have enough RAM to work with.

Right click the vegas90pro or whatever it's called icon in the folder and "Run as Administrator".
    Didn't work. =/

Bah last last suggestion what the hell this is such a weird problem now it's driving me nuts too, after you launch it, hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc to get Task Manager, right click it's process and set priority to High, see if that changes anything. Also set Affinity and make sure all CPUs are checked. Usually never solves anything but worth a shot. What a weird problem.

Bah last last suggestion what the hell this is such a weird problem now it's driving me nuts too, after you launch it, hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc to get Task Manager, right click it's process and set priority to High, see if that changes anything. Also set Affinity and make sure all CPUs are checked. Usually never solves anything but worth a shot. What a weird problem.
    Nope, I already tried that before and it did nothing. Pretty sure Priority just affects CPU usage.

I even set it to "Realtime" and still nothing.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2014-09-23 at 02:10 AM.