Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need help with buying an affordable WoW laptop

Hello everyone. My girlfriend would like to purchase a laptop exclusively for wow, in the 400 dollar range. Anything that will run at least 30 fps in LFR(on low or fair) is fine. I am more of a desktop guy myself so im going to leave this up to professionals! I prefer it to be an AMD processor, if you dont mind. Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    First AMD is horrible for wow I'm being honest here AMD got left in the dust ages ago. For $400 I doubt you can find a laptop with a dedicated graphics processor. Yeah cheapest ones with dedicated GPU is in the $500 range.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2014-09-22 at 07:52 AM.

i dont think people give AMD enough of a chance. while it may be true that intel is nowhere near touchable in high end machines, i feel that this fact is irrelevant when talking about low-medium spec machines. AMD imo is the better choice for a low end laptop, as opposed to some half-assed onboard intel graphics

but im willing to buy anything that will run wow i dont really wanna get into the amd vs intel thing here
    Last edited by bobokiller; 2014-09-22 at 08:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobokiller View Post
    i dont think people give AMD enough of a chance. while it may be true that intel is nowhere near touchable in high end machines, i feel that this fact is irrelevant when talking about low-medium spec machines. AMD imo is the better choice for a low end laptop, as opposed to some half-assed onboard intel graphics

but im willing to buy anything that will run wow i dont really wanna get into the amd vs intel thing here
    You are the one asking for advice here, not me. I could post tons of links to show the exact opposite of what your opinion is. WoW is a CPU intensive game and AMD under performs when compared to Intel at all price points. As I said for $400 you won't find anything unless it is a refurbished one.

7+ Year Old Account

AMD integrated graphics are around 4x more powerful than Intel integrated graphics. I just got a $500 laptop with an A10-7300 (Kaveri), the integrated graphics are (roughly) equivalent to the R7-250. It runs WOW just fine on a mix of good/high settings with around 30-40fps in most places (even 60 when indoors).

An Intel laptop in that price range (which would have Intel HD graphics) would be stuck on all low settings and would even then be lucky to get 15-20fps. With an Intel CPU, you HAVE to have a dedicated GPU if you want to run games at all. With AMD...their integrated graphics are decent. In the $400-$500 range, AMD is your ONLY option if you want to run games at all. Intel being better on the CPU front means exactly jack if the integrated graphics aren't powerful enough to even run the game.

WOD is also changing things a bit, so that the game is less CPU dependent, which means AMD will perform better than it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    AMD integrated graphics are around 4x more powerful than Intel integrated graphics. I just got a $500 laptop with an A10-7300 (Kaveri), the integrated graphics are (roughly) equivalent to the R7-250. It runs WOW just fine on a mix of good/high settings with around 30-40fps in most places (even 60 when indoors).

An Intel laptop in that price range (which would have Intel HD graphics) would be stuck on all low settings and would even then be lucky to get 15-20fps. With an Intel CPU, you HAVE to have a dedicated GPU if you want to run games at all. With AMD...their integrated graphics are decent. In the $400-$500 range, AMD is your ONLY option if you want to run games at all. Intel being better on the CPU front means exactly jack if the integrated graphics aren't powerful enough to even run the game.

WOD is also changing things a bit, so that the game is less CPU dependent, which means AMD will perform better than it does now.
    thank you! this is the opinion i have been seeing from most people and is what i also believe.

some laptops i have been considering(cant post links yet):

Acer V5-552P-8676

Lenovo G505S

how do you think these will perform?

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you! this is the opinion i have been seeing from most people and is what i also believe.

some laptops i have been considering(cant post links yet):

Acer V5-552P-8676

Lenovo G505S

how do you think these will perform?
    Have you increased your budget? As looking for that Lenovo model, I'm seeing it for $800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834312829

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Have you increased your budget? As looking for that Lenovo model, I'm seeing it for $800
    im looking at a refurbished one. however after more research, it seems the lenovo has some technical difficulties regarding the speed while being plugged into the charger

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post

What is making the game less cpu dependent? Oh, nm. Found it. But the game is going to be GPU dependent in WoD.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/15936285/engineer
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2014-09-23 at 01:23 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    What is making the game less cpu dependent? Oh, nm. Found it. But the game is going to be GPU dependent in WoD.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/15936285/engineer
    Which means it will run better on AMD CPU's. Intel CPU's will probably still run it better than the AMD CPU's, but the gap will be narrowed a bit. The game isn't going to be GPU dependent in the way that, say, Crysis 3 is. It will just be MORE GPU dependent than MOP/less CPU dependent.

More GPU dependence means that Intel HD graphics probably won't even be able to handle WOW on low anymore, while AMD's integrated graphics would still do a decent job. Basically, yes Intel has better CPU's. But if you want to game on an Intel laptop, you HAVE to have a dedicated GPU or it basically won't work at all. Dedicated GPU's cost more. AMD may not have CPU's that perform as well, but their integrated graphics are SIGNIFICANTLY better. AMD integrated graphics will usually run WOW on a mix of good/high with reasonable performance.

So basically, 6.0 will narrow the gap a bit between AMD and Intel. But the same rules still apply. If you have a dedicated GPU, an Intel CPU will get you better performance. But Intel HD graphics are terrible beyond belief, so ANY AMD will outperform an Intel system that doesn't have a dedicated GPU.

Deleted
    If you are looking for a gaming rig then you are not relying in any igpu. You are going for a proper gpu anyway and as far as the article goes it shows some gpu performance difference. The rest won't affect cpu performance as you make it out to be. The number squish and going from 25 to 20mythic will make far more noticeable difference that those above. From what i read it makes things worse not better.

You can sit here and mull hardware all day long. If you don't know how to optimize your PC you aren't getting your money's worth. Invest the time if you have not already in looking up basic tips like clearing off crapware, rebuilding your page file, stopping useless background services, cleaning the registry (best done before installing your own software and after removing manufacturer crapware), if running win7 shut off those useless aero graphics, etc. There are TONS of videos and websites with legit advice.

Don't use "game booster" software, you can do all the things it does manually and therefore rollback any changes one by one if you encounter a problem. You want to learn how to tweak your OS yourself. Familiarizing yourself with your PC allows you to keep it running optimally and depending on how well you take care of your PC now you may see substantial improvement.

i think i am going to go with a computer with these specs:

Screen Size: 15.6"
    Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768
    Processor Type: AMD
    Processor Model: A8-5557M
    Processor Speed: 2.1GHz
    Processor Core: Quad-core
    Cache: Not Available
    Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit
    System Memory (RAM): 6GB
    RAM Expandable To: 12GB
    Type of Memory (RAM): DDR3
    Hard Drive Type: SATA
    Hard Drive Size: 750GB
    Hard Drive RPM: 5,400
    Optical Drive Type: Not Available
    Optical Drive Speeds: Not Available
    Digital Media Reader: Yes
    Graphics: Radeon HD 8550G
    Video Memory: Shared
    Built-in Webcam: Yes
    Networking: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps
    Wireless Networking: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth-Enabled: Yes
    USB Ports: 3
    Battery Life: 4.5hrs
    System Version: 64-bit
    HDMI Output: Yes
    Included Software: Not Available
    Graphics Chip: Not Available
    Display Screen Type: LED
    Display Screen Technology: Multi-touch
    ENERGYSTAR Qualified: No
    Dimensions: 15.0" x 0.9" x 10.1"
    Product Weight: 4.8lbs
    Product Number: Aspire V5-552P-8676
    Warranty: 90-day Limited Hardware
    do you guys think this will get the job done?

Deleted
    Unless someone got something similar to what you linked and tell you hey it run ok on low settings, then its a tough call. The specs are so low that you can't tell for sure, its a gamble. If i had to guess i would say you can do quests, some 10/15man bgs, but lfr...doupt it without being choppy, cause that cpu aint much and graphic requiremements in WoD will go up.

Deleted
    i have a lenovo g580 , costs around 500$ (not sure if they still sell those), 2 gb dedicated graphic card , runs 90 fps in low settings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreiBD View Post
    i have a lenovo g580 , costs around 500$ (not sure if they still sell those), 2 gb dedicated graphic card , runs 90 fps in low settings
    Hi,
    I have seen your post that you are running WoW on G580 in 90 fps on low setting. I have G580 myself:
    Lenovo IdeaPad G580 15,6" i5-3230M/4GB/500GB/GT635

But I am unable to run it on some reasonable FPS. on the lowest setting I am only getting to some 27fps at the best which is not much playable.

I am still not quite sure if correct graphics processor is choosen, any hints how to check it?

btw I am running on external monitor connected via VGA cable.

Thanks & Regards,
    Jabu

$700 i5 lappy with dedicated graphics card. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-6...&skuId=5661041

Mine I got off craigslist for 300. Its 17.3 inch screen. i7 8 core 2.2? 2.4. Then crappier geforce card. But I have textures and particles on high. I get around 60 fps in wod at all times besides raiding. I also do decent rating pvp no problems.

The cooler on this sucks. If I could keep temps down it would run even better.

My point is if you want cheap, try used or refurb. Thats your best shot at performance. Don't listen to that guy talking about page filing and background tasks. Unless you have a ungodly amount of bs running or viruses. Don't worry about that crap get performance from the start.

Edit: Geforce 540m and i72630QM. Oh and 6gigs of ram. It runs fine at 1920.

So shop around for sim or better specs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel vs AMD in this situation favors AMD. At that price range you're looking at APU's, and between Intel and AMD it's AMD that wins in that department. People forget that Intel is only good when you're not using Intel HD graphics. Throw in a Intel or AMD GPU and Intel wins. Use the built in GPU and AMD wins.

For $400 I would get this. A10-7300 (1.90GHz) with a 15.6" screen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314557

Alternatively you could get this with an i7, but outdated graphics and Refurbished. Also HP product, which to me is bad but it does meet your price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834259949

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Intel vs AMD in this situation favors AMD. At that price range you're looking at APU's, and between Intel and AMD it's AMD that wins in that department. People forget that Intel is only good when you're not using Intel HD graphics. Throw in a Intel or AMD GPU and Intel wins. Use the built in GPU and AMD wins.

For $400 I would get this. A10-7300 (1.90GHz) with a 15.6" screen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834314557

Alternatively you could get this with an i7, but outdated graphics and Refurbished. Also HP product, which to me is bad but it does meet your price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834259949
    That's basically correct, but I think you meant "throw in an Nvidia or AMD GPU", not Intel. :P But yes. Dedicated GPU = Intel wins. Integrated graphics/APU = AMD wins.