10+ Year Old Account

Making major life changes

Well, kinda hit rock bottom today and decided that I actually need to get my ass in gear. However, thats often hard for me because Im rather "special" and forget to do essential things most of the time because i just don't think about it. Like eating! Long story short is: Im tired of how I look and just need a top down do-over ( which yes, for me is a life change considering it takes heavy conscious effort to remember to do what most people do naturally. like eat.) Diet, YMCA, maybe get a professional stylist involved... I think a doctor put it best as saying "Intelligence wise you're top notch, but when it comes to yourself you're often lost"

I guess the point of this thread is: How do ya'll approach similar major changes and I'd like to hear examples possibly! Im hoping maybe to get a better idea of how to go about this and find different ways of motivation to keep going.
    Last edited by Crissi; 2014-09-22 at 11:57 AM.

Firstly, slow down there captain.

You're on the hype train right now, you're buzzing because you've got a good idea and that's great, but in ~4 days time that buzz will fade and you'll feel even worse. You want to change, then change how you think?

You can't be a fat person mentally, but try and be a fit person physically, it won't work. You have to have to change your mindset first, that's the most important thing and that can take time.

Making small steps to help that is important, like you said, getting a new hair cut, some nice new clothes, but keep it small at the minute. If you charge into the Gym, try and live the lifestyle before you've mentally become that person, you'll fail.

Why do you think so many fat people who get surgery put the weight back on? Because mentally they're still the fat person that eats two pizzas and a bowl of ice-cream for breakfast. Change who you are, and what you are will follow.

I don't know that I've ever made conscious decisions to change major character or habit sorts of things. I picked up cycling because it was fun and it bloomed into an overall lifestyle for me; I run nearly every day and often ride to work. This has been the biggest and best change in my life over the last decade or so. I don't think it would be possible if I didn't just plain enjoy those activities; it's not in me to just decide on something like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I understand that mentally I need to be there as well. I thought about just starting out doing what I enjoy: swimming to get me started in the swing of things. I also have a semi decent support system, but my "specialness" (which i should probably just go ahead and day a bit Asbergery before it was reclassified) gets in the way a LOT.

If you find swimming fun, then do it. Swimming is an amazing exercise, and if it's something you enjoy all the better! Don't let your disability limit you, mentally or physically.

If you think it will, it will. Simple. Keep positive, enjoy what you do and don't be afraid to have a cheat day, where you forget the exercise and binge out with some mates at the pub. The moment you turn your lifestyle into hard work, it'll be boring and you'll quit.

Make exercise fun, keep track of your progress and set realistic goals.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't know that I've ever made conscious decisions to change major character or habit sorts of things. I picked up cycling because it was fun and it bloomed into an overall lifestyle for me; I run nearly every day and often ride to work. This has been the biggest and best change in my life over the last decade or so. I don't think it would be possible if I didn't just plain enjoy those activities; it's not in me to just decide on something like that.
    It is and you did. You enjoy those activities, so you keep doing them. There are some sub consciousness involved also. You said it yourself " I picked up cycling....This has been the biggest and best change in my life.."

OP, We do stuff because we want to, the issue is should we? I smoked for 10 years. Really enjoyed it, but I knew was not a good habit. I saw too many family members suffer from the habit. So I decided to quit. Was not easy. But I was determined to do it. This was as Hyve so well stated, a mind set to do something.
    Even now after more than 30 years of not smoking, there is the temptation to start up again. But I resist and normally never think about it. I have decided to never smoke cigarettes again. It sounds simple to say it is just willpower, but in reality it is. And it starts with the desire to change or stay on a certain course in life.

Some things can be harder for others because of special conditions. But if you really want to do something bad enough, there is a lot people can do to help achieve their goals. To succeed however, the desire to want to has to be there. The more the desire is, the better the chances to succeed.

which yes, for me is a life change considering it takes heavy conscious effort to remember to do what most people do naturally. like eat.
    which i should probably just go ahead and day a bit Asbergery before it was reclassified
    I'll try tackle these two with things that have helped my GF. Schedule as much as possible, this includes meals (we plan out meals a week in advance) and other appointments. A calendar on your PC with reminders of events is good, having something like swimming planned for every Friday at 2pm will get you in a regular rythym. Also can lead to other things from that, for example making up a weeks food schedule before going shopping means you are far more likely to buy only what you need, after all you can list every ingredient you need to buy before setting out the door. If you are properly planning all your meals a day as well you're far less likely to pop into a shop because you need something and therefore far less likely to commit a compulsive buy.

Having someone that can help remind you is obviously a big benefit, so if you can form a partnership (such as a swim buddy) for anything go for it, will also help motivate you when you need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I'll try tackle these two with things that have helped my GF. Schedule as much as possible, this includes meals (we plan out meals a week in advance) and other appointments. A calendar on your PC with reminders of events is good, having something like swimming planned for every Friday at 2pm will get you in a regular rythym. Also can lead to other things from that, for example making up a weeks food schedule before going shopping means you are far more likely to buy only what you need, after all you can list every ingredient you need to buy before setting out the door. If you are properly planning all your meals a day as well you're far less likely to pop into a shop because you need something and therefore far less likely to commit a compulsive buy.

Having someone that can help remind you is obviously a big benefit, so if you can form a partnership (such as a swim buddy) for anything go for it, will also help motivate you when you need it.
    Sounds like a plan. Also, getting the 2 kittens was probably one of the best decisions ive made. Not just cause they;re cute, but because its forcing me into a routine of dialy responsibilities for others.

and Ghost, I understand that. I feel like its finally becoming mroe seirous, and Id never use my specialness as a crutch or excuse why i cant. Just listed it to give some background as to why basic human needs are sometimes hard for me

Deleted
    photos would help

Deleted
    The most important change is that you start treating food as nutrition. You should eat with the mindset of "I'm eating this because it is good for my body" rather then "in eating this because it's yummy".

When u manage that mindset, ur halfway there.

Deleted
    With regards to food, try to stick to a shopping list that will make up your weekly meals and if you can, make and portion them the night before so you have something ready to go. Although I don't really have problems with weight, I'm an extremely lazy person when it comes to food and don't enjoy cooking that much so it would probably be quite easy for me to pack on the pounds if I didn't exercise. If I needed to shed some weight, that's what I'd do to make sure I'm not eating as much bad shit :P

Leave yourself reminders on your phone/tablet/computer. Maybe even some positive messages to yourself, especially once you start making progress, to help perk yourself up on bad days where you're tempted to just throw in the towel.

With working out, don't go crazy in the gym on your first day, be exhausted/hurt yourself, and end up not going again. Start off small, maybe even pay a PT to put a plan together for you if your gym doesn't offer something like that. Trying to eat better and go nutso in the gym will just make you feel like shit.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well, kinda hit rock bottom today and decided that I actually need to get my ass in gear. However, thats often hard for me because Im rather "special" and forget to do essential things most of the time because i just don't think about it. Like eating! Long story short is: Im tired of how I look and just need a top down do-over ( which yes, for me is a life change considering it takes heavy conscious effort to remember to do what most people do naturally. like eat.) Diet, YMCA, maybe get a professional stylist involved... I think a doctor put it best as saying "Intelligence wise you're top notch, but when it comes to yourself you're often lost"

I guess the point of this thread is: How do ya'll approach similar major changes and I'd like to hear examples possibly! Im hoping maybe to get a better idea of how to go about this and find different ways of motivation to keep going.
    "Mastering others makes you strong.

But Mastering yourself makes you fearless".

What my academic advisor and close friend told me. I essentially suffer from the same problem, so the quote might help you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    With regards to food, try to stick to a shopping list that will make up your weekly meals and if you can, make and portion them the night before so you have something ready to go. Although I don't really have problems with weight, I'm an extremely lazy person when it comes to food and don't enjoy cooking that much so it would probably be quite easy for me to pack on the pounds if I didn't exercise. If I needed to shed some weight, that's what I'd do to make sure I'm not eating as much bad shit :P

Leave yourself reminders on your phone/tablet/computer. Maybe even some positive messages to yourself, especially once you start making progress, to help perk yourself up on bad days where you're tempted to just throw in the towel.

With working out, don't go crazy in the gym on your first day, be exhausted/hurt yourself, and end up not going again. Start off small, maybe even pay a PT to put a plan together for you if your gym doesn't offer something like that. Trying to eat better and go nutso in the gym will just make you feel like shit.
    yeah, already have a schedule for doing my homework. Cant be that much of a stretch to apply that to personal stuff. Hate cooking but that'll be better than what Im currently doing.

Bah, I wish my workout bud didnt live in NY

For the dieting thing, I'd also suggest you slash off all liquid calories. I was surprised to find out a lot of my acquaintances were easily consuming upwards of 300-500 kcals from coffee/tea/other drinks.

There's really not that much to it, besides discipline. If you want it enough, you'll make it work imo. Slip-ups here and there are acceptable so long as there's a noticeable trend of improvement at the end of the day. I should also direct you to the bodybuilding.com section on this. Lots of great information there.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

You definitely also want to be tracking your progress. Pictures are great for this purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

15+ Year Old Account
    You need to make it part of your routine , a habit, that is how we work, the more we do something, the more easily it is for us to do it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose