Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Its somewhat distressing that certain people believe living things around them are merely punching bags with feet.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Hi, Jaylock. Back from your most recent vacation I see...

..anyway, negative reinforcement (such as a "time out", rather than applying punishment via physical means) or especially positive reinforcement (i.e., the application of a reward stimulus, such as a treat or praise) is a much more effective teaching tool for both dogs and humans.

I will however assume you already knew this, considering your post history in off-topic and the fact that this has been mentioned in several of your threads.

Edit: Jaylock messaged me regarding this message so I will publicly extend my apologies for offending him with this post. We should all be given the opportunity to turn over a new leaf
    Last edited by Celista; 2014-09-22 at 11:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Okay, well you are not my responsibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, fear is just another form of respect.
    Yeah dogs become aggressive because of fear. Dogs bite when they are scared and if you teach them to fear people I don't see it going well.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    And the dog trainer told you what? That it was okay because it was too small to notice/smell? Marking is a behavioral issue and any dog (big or small) can be trained to not do it. Neither of my dogs are spayed/neutered and neither mark in the home. My male dog marks outside and so does the pug when she's in heat.

So, it's a failure on your part - given that the dog doesn't have any health related issues and isn't a young puppy that's just learning to house train.
    The dog trainner told me it would be really hard to break him of the habit. That it was probably related to him being older, he started living with me when he was 3 almost 4, and being moved from one home to another and to new people in a new town. Probably being either separation anxiety/bad puppy habits (which I think were a large portion of it).

They said it would be hard to ever break him of it without catching him in the act. We THINK we broke him of it, but its so hard to tell at this point that we assume he doesn't but sometimes during a clean you'll find something suspect. I assume he still does and he's mastered doing it and at this point, he's 9 now, it won't change, but I can't tell its happening either. So its a toss. My wife thinks he doesn't do it anymore, I think he's just really good at hiding it. From his shame of having an accident, which is very rare, I know he would never do it when we were around. Accidents only occur on two occasions, we've both been gone way too long (9+ hrs) or he is sick/got into something that made him sick. Usually it is the latter if it happens, changed dry food once and it was disaster.

Deleted
    No, I pinch my animals on the rump and it works without scaring them half to death.

Here's an idea, go do something stupid, have someone kick you. See if it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

A slap on the nose of a puppy when it misbehaves can do wonders for their obedience.

The same rules apply to Animals as they do to Children in my view. A firm enough slap that's enough to just teach a lesson is a great method, but beating them is a totally different matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I know when I was whipped with the fly swatter or belt as a kid, I certainly learned not to do whatever I was doing anymore haha.
    Obviously you weren't hit hard enough since here you are... being... you.

I know when i was whipped with the fly swatter or belt as a kid, i certainly learned not to do whatever I was doing anymore haha.
    Because humans and dogs have the same brain functions to determine what is right and wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

If training it properly you don't need to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive used both methods and both seem to work well. Sometimes a little pain is the best teaching tool though.

I know when i was whipped with the fly swatter or belt as a kid, i certainly learned not to do whatever I was doing anymore haha.
    Well, we've certainly established that your animals are more intelligent than their owner.

Touch, when used to get attention or divert an action, is certainly acceptable. To cause pain? They'll learn to fear you before they learn the specific behavior you're trying to correct.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually grab my dog by the tail and spin it around the room yelling "Is this what you wanted, Emanhothep? IS THIS IT?".
    Nah, usually, hitting my dog in the head with a small flick. He isn't hurt and learns what he shouldn't do.

But I'd kick a cat if I had one, even for no reason. I hate cats. Damn you, cats.

Deleted
    but wouldn't a gentle kick get the message through much clearer?
    No it wouldn't, animals usually not very susceptible to violence or a threat of such. There are by far more effective methods to impact an animal behavior.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is an inappropriate topic of discussion for these forums and I don't see it ending well either, hence I'm closing this.