Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anti-Vaxer and Co-Sleeping.

So my wife has a friend who co-sleeps with her children and is also an anti-vaxer. I do not even know what to say to her. On one hand you have the co-sleeping, documented to be unsafe and unadvised to do. Then as well all know the non science of the Anti Vaccination.

How can a person reconcile the logical inconsistency? I also how many others are the same way. While I find it mind boggling, I am not surprised.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

that's about all that comes to mind here...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Semi-OT: I'm loving these anti-vaxxer posts. They've actually inspired me to write my research paper this semester on the anti-vaxxer movement. Keep these threads coming!

On topic: I didn't realize co-sleeping was a thing that happened outside of that "child had nightmares" night. It's bad enough for me to share a bed with one other person, I can't imagine trying to fall asleep with the kids in bed too.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    How can a person reconcile the logical inconsistency?
    You can't. These people do not care or acknowledge the fact that their views have no logical consistency or support to them. Why listen to science when that chain e-mail or mercola article is just so much more alluring to their desire to be "in the know" of "what's really happening"? They're the same as all other conspiracy theorists, and their opinions are generally not worth the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Semi-OT: I'm loving these anti-vaxxer posts. They've actually inspired me to write my research paper this semester on the anti-vaxxer movement. Keep these threads coming!

On topic: I didn't realize co-sleeping was a thing that happened outside of that "child had nightmares" night. It's bad enough for me to share a bed with one other person, I can't imagine trying to fall asleep with the kids in bed too.
    Yeh its a whole thing and the people who I know to do it know "the safe ways" despite the fact that America Academy of Pediatrics says its not safe. They say it forms a better bond or what have you. I say I would rather not risk rolling over and crushing my child his/her sleep.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

There *are* precautions that can be taken to co-sleep safely. Many parents find it a more natural thing to do than stick their baby in a crib alone - hey, back in the day they didn't even have cribs and kids managed to survive. That being said.....I am not one of those people. I did sleep with my babies in the same room for the first few months, simply for ease of nighttime feedings and changes, but they had their own bassinet/crib to sleep in. I could give you all sorts of reasons as to why some people are against vaccinations; I actually did do a research paper a couple of years ago about that very topic. I'm cool with a modified vaccination schedule (spreading them out a little so kiddo isn't getting so many shots at once, even skipping certain vaccinations like Gardasil and the one for rotavirus), but I can't wrap my mind around not vaccinating at all. One of the biggest arguments that you'll hear is from the people that believe vaccinations cause things like autism. Yet they can't explain how a child that's never been vaccinated (and whose parents have not been vaccinated, etc.) can have autism.

Anyway, there's really nothing for you to say. They're going to do (or not do) what they feel is best. Offering an unsolicited opinion is just going to make them defensive. If they bring up the topic to you, feel free to present your feelings in a calm, factual manner, but don't expect that you're going to change their minds.

Not giving vaccines is criminally stupid and I have no defense for that.

But there's nothing wrong with letting a small kid sleep in your bed. Especially a baby as a nursing mother. I don't know what american whatever might recommend or not as I'm not from your corner of the world but where I come from (Finland) some people prefer that, some don't and there's nothing wrong with either choice. For me it came down to my kids' preference, had their cot next to our bed and sometimes they slept there, sometimes in our bed and as a toddler the older one would regularly toddle over to our bed if he felt like it, Don't really see the dangers of crushing as long as you're not on any drugs or using alcohol, if a smoker shouldn't have the kid sleeping in the same room anyways.

Sleeping in a common bed, that's probably the way humans lived until recently. Not sure how you'd fit sexy time in there.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Anti-vaxxers...

Stupidity always finds a way to survive Civilization.

I fail to see how co-sleeping is comparable in any way, shape or form to anti-vax

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Yeh its a whole thing and the people who I know to do it know "the safe ways" despite the fact that America Academy of Pediatrics says its not safe. They say it forms a better bond or what have you. I say I would rather not risk rolling over and crushing my child his/her sleep.
    There are devices that are kind of like half bassinets taht are made to go in the bed to allow co-sleeping without the risk of rolling on top of the little one. The people that you mention though are basically ignorant, misinformed, coddlers that will have demon spawn that suck the souls out of people...

Co-sleeping is only dangerous due to potential injury to children when adults like rollover in the night or whatever. But if you are careful, aware of your person and mate- co-sleeping is the most common method of parent/child existence.

Human babies are not really meant to be too far us. They are meant to spend all their time with moms.

10+ Year Old Account
    my moms care giver was telling me just the other day she has a sister that was a co-sleeper and her boyfriend rolled over and killed their child. It was actually the first time I had ever heard of it.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Should not let the kids sleep between you and your husband. They have these huge pillows (which are like dams) and railings that can be attached to the bed for kids. And usually you (the mom) sleep in the middle.

Simply need to be careful, don't fall fall asleep while nursing- because kids can drown/suffocate between your ta-tas, have a large enough bed, etc. If a heavy sleeper, probably not a good idea to co-sleep. Though co-sleeping is not necessarily a bad idea.

Deleted
    I think it should be illegal to not get vaccinated. You endanger other people by getting all sorts of nasty contagious diseases. I don't care about your rights if it means that you might infect other people who are not as dumb as you are. Then the people that get sick as a result of not getting vaccinated need to be treated which costs money.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2014-09-23 at 07:52 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Waht does "co-sleeping" means?

About the anti-vax i heard that in the US some deasises that were "eleminated" started to appear again, the lack of vacination is pointed as a cause to it.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    Waht does "co-sleeping" means?

About the anti-vax i heard that in the US some deasises that were "eleminated" started to appear again, the lack of vacination is pointed as a cause to it.
    it means sharing a bed with your kids as a parent

mom, dad and kids in one bed

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about co soleeping, its kind of weird for an "Older" child, but what freaks me out is people that breast feed until there kids are like 10.
    You're a towel.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So my wife has a friend who co-sleeps with her children and is also an anti-vaxer. I do not even know what to say to her. On one hand you have the co-sleeping, documented to be unsafe and unadvised to do. Then as well all know the non science of the Anti Vaccination.

How can a person reconcile the logical inconsistency? I also how many others are the same way. While I find it mind boggling, I am not surprised.
    Co-sleeping? What's that? I don't wanna google on it, for fear of the stupidity I might find. Does that mean they sleep in the same room or same bed as their children, all the time?
    Talk about overly protective, that's just gonna backfire big time.

Anti-vaccination is blatant ignorance and nothing short of child abuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    it means sharing a bed with your kids as a parent

mom, dad and kids in one bed
    dont the kids mind when they get into their late teens?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I don't really care about co soleeping, its kind of weird for an "Older" child, but what freaks me out is people that breast feed until there kids are like 10.
    mmmmm bitty

The only stats I've looked at for co-sleeping showed that the difference between mortality for co-sleep and crib sleep vanished if you removed intoxication and sleeping on couches. It's hardly comparable to anti-vaccination.