Thread: Mac Replacement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    and all this has to do with the OPs problem how?
    It doesn't. The OP's problem was already discussed. I can't imagine any other possible replies besides:

- Buy a used Mac.
    - Save Money
    - Buy a Windows computer and make a woman whose been using Macs for 30 years switch.
    - Buy Chromebook. See above.
    - Buy an Android tablet.

My reply was merely to ensure false information was not being spread. There are far too many people who think Macs are overpriced just because their friend told them without backing it up. The Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and iMac are good examples of a well priced computers from Apple that compete well against similarly spec'd computers from other vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by robodude666
    You clearly don't know what workstation-grade hardware is.
    Or, I do understand what workstation-grade hardware is, and how non-workstation-grade hardware can out-perform workstation-grade hardware on the same tasks due to things like high performance graphics cards and overclocking.

Workstation hardware has better driver compatibility with professional software, not to mention better service and support from the vendor.
    Because Nvidia doesn't support CUDA applications with their gaming cards...

Because AMD doesn't support OpenCL applications with their gaming cards...

Do you really believe this stuff? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.

They're also more reliable, which makes a big difference if you're not able to render a video clip because your desktop GPU keeps overheating.
    Considering the fact that the workstation graphics solutions have stock cooling, I would be surprised if anyone using gaming graphics cards for the same tasks had overheating issues, especially if they opted for 3rd part cooler designs (or even water blocks). And yes, ECC ram generally boasts higher reliability, but that doesn't matter unless you're bad at backing up important work and fail at redundancy.

Speaking of which, the base model Mac Pro has zero redundancy. You can't add redundancy because LOLtrashcan. Everything you do add comes in the form of an external device that adds to the clutter and mess quickly, just to be productive in a professional setting. So when people tout how nice and slim their Mac Pro is, those are the kind of people who shouldn't be buying one in the first place because they obviously aren't using it for what it was intended for (or they'd have a desk full of clutter because Thunderbolt Octopus).

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    because LOLtrashcan.
    You've been schooled thrice and still you try to prove an already debunked point, with desperate derogatory name calling and abbreviations that are slowly but profoundly violating the English language . At this point, I'd rather take my leave and I advise robo to do the same. Ignorance that refuses correction, isn't worth further attention.

I wish you luck with your professional renders, in your professional environment, with your GTX 770s.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2014-09-29 at 12:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Or, I do understand what workstation-grade hardware is, and how non-workstation-grade hardware can out-perform workstation-grade hardware on the same tasks due to things like high performance graphics cards and overclocking.
    I hear overclocking and cutting costs on consumer hardware is super popular in major production companies.

Considering the fact that the workstation graphics solutions have stock cooling, I would be surprised if anyone using gaming graphics cards for the same tasks had overheating issues, especially if they opted for 3rd part cooler designs (or even water blocks). And yes, ECC ram generally boasts higher reliability, but that doesn't matter unless you're bad at backing up important work and fail at redundancy.
    You really don't understand why ECC RAM is used in a production environment, do you?

Speaking of which, the base model Mac Pro has zero redundancy. You can't add redundancy because LOLtrashcan.
    You also don't understand that NAS boxes and SAN arrays exist for a reason.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera
    I hear overclocking and cutting costs on consumer hardware is super popular in major production companies.
    What's popular in major production companies is irrelevant to a person who's about to spend $3k on a personal computer for a certain level of performance.

You really don't understand why ECC RAM is used in a production environment, do you?
    If we were talking about production companies, then I wouldn't even bother bringing up price or performance, because neither one actually matters in a production environment.

You also don't understand that NAS boxes and SAN arrays exist for a reason.
    Redundancy refers to RAID configured hard drives. When you have super important work, you run several hard drives in RAID to make sure that your work is redundant. You can't run several hard drives in RAID because you don't have room in the trashcan.

Deleted
    You guys went waaaaayy of top topic seriously, go to computer chat for general stuff.